o2 explosion

General topics about technical diving.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Re: o2 explosion

Post by ljjames »

I honestly don't know. I know that i like to hold down my purge button when i turn on my O2 veeeerry slowly since the 1st stage seats and diaphragms are generally not 'as' compatible. Also i have more O2 bottles than regulators.

I think the best course is just to be aware of the potential issues and take a bit of extra care and caution whenever dealing with 100% O2 under pressure. A lot of people have been handling O2 for a long time some are very careful, some not so much. As someone said, it's one of those unpredictable things. There are, as always, things we can do to stack deck in our favor and try our best to prevent freak accident/occurrences, but part of the nature of 'freak' occurrences is simply s**t happens.
Burntchef wrote:i allways keep my o2 reg on my bottle period. if it bumps and pressurizes i can depressurize it slowly.

thoughts?
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

I would not leave the 1st stage on there, more things to make contact and break plus If your 1st stage is not fully O2 rebuilt with O2 compatible o-rings, seats & lube the exact same thing can happen when you knock it over.. possibly even worse. the HP stem with knife edge slams onto the seat with extreme force and sudden compression buildup causes the non O2 seats and very thin steel stem with knife edge to heat up, etc. etc... secure tanks, lay them down and open valves very very slowly..

I agree, its probably good practice like LJ said to purge the 2nd stage while you open the valve, mostly because it doesnt allow the HP seats and stems to slam down and lessens the sudden compression buildup.. the 2nd stage is rarely above 125psi and you don't really need O2 compatible anything with intermediate/low pressures like that.. Welding equipment work at these lower pressures and they are usually filthy as all hell..

HP + O2 = be very doggone careful!
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I'm a little sketical that the tank was just knocked over by the owner. "Bumped" is quite possibly partially run over by the car as he came home. Who knows exactly what went down but the neck o-ring extrusion is suspicious to me. And who knows what was up with the melted vinyl cap (tape?).

In any case, if there's one part which needs careful and frequent cleaning its the valve and valve seat. I have never liked any kind of valve cover opening ever since I heard of the plastic plugs fracturing into people's hands. I have SS DIN plugs but only use them for long trips with hard to replace gas.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.