Speargun

No commercial posts, please. Individual divers only.
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Speargun

Post by Diver_Dave »

Looking for a speargun....
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Finding things under water....
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Re: Speargun

Post by Fishstiq »

Okayyyyyy...? What will you be hunting? Where will you be using it (lakes, open water, rocky areas...?)? New or used? Pole spear or band gun?
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

JBL.. Is what I use ... A B Biller, is another nice gun... Dont buy a pneumatic, there junk..
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
guitarmaker
Dive-aholic

Post by guitarmaker »

H20doctor wrote:JBL.. Is what I use ... A B Biller, is another nice gun... Dont buy a pneumatic, there junk..
Really? I've been using a pole spear and was thinking of getting one of the Mare's pneumatics on advice of a dive buddy. He's had great success with his; it looks like it would be ideal for crawling around under rocks and ledges. Just wondering. :dontknow:
Cheers!

Ron
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

a Band gun is way better , ive been a spearo from awhile now and have seen pneumatics while hunting, they just dont have the power of a Band gun
i have a 38 special made by JBL, and its a great gun for our waters .... I saw chads AB in action in florida , and it was a monster of a gun ...
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Agent 47
Aquaphile

Post by Agent 47 »

guitarmaker wrote:
H20doctor wrote:JBL.. Is what I use ... A B Biller, is another nice gun... Dont buy a pneumatic, there junk..
Really? I've been using a pole spear and was thinking of getting one of the Mare's pneumatics on advice of a dive buddy. He's had great success with his; it looks like it would be ideal for crawling around under rocks and ledges. Just wondering. :dontknow:
Mares Pneumatic is the only kind I use anymore. nice and compact but with the power to finish the job ( got sick of seeing my spear bounce out leaving the fish to swim off and die ) very reliable and no bands to replace every season. I have been using mine for just over 12 years and even though I got 5 or 6 good years out of my AB biller before that I will never go back. :supz:
I do have opinions of my own,,,very strong opinions!,, I just don't allways agree with them.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

I've seen divers take nice fish cleanly with both pneumatic and band guns. Personally, I love my pole spears, but they leave too great a chance of wounding a fish without taking it, so now I hunt with a JBL 38 special with 2 bands. I've taken up to a 40inch ling with it and never had a need for a 3rd band.

Mmmmmmmm, ling tacos..... :taco: :taco: :taco: :taco:

Cory is selling a gun, wooden stock and 3 bands. If anyone is interested lemme know and I'll send you his contact info.
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
2loud4u
Compulsive Diver

Post by 2loud4u »

I used to use the JBL just like yours, and then I bought a Mares Pneumatic from Evergreen and I love it! It is much easier to use IMO. Mine has a high and a low power switch... I have never used anything but high so I dont know about those settings, but I have had no problems being underpowered.

Brendan
FTM ~ PTB ~ EGH ~ RFB ~ KTF ~ DTRT