WTB: Scubapro Regulator, Dive Computer w/Air intergration

No commercial posts, please. Individual divers only.
ornew
Getting To Know Folks

WTB: Scubapro Regulator, Dive Computer w/Air intergration

Post by ornew »

Looking for Scubapro regulator setup
1st/ 2nd stage
Mk17/ Mk25
G250v/ S600

Looking for Dive Computer w/ Air integration
Wisdom 2
Uwatec
Aeries Ai
Oceanic Pro comp
Last edited by ornew on Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Re: WTB: BCD, Computer, and Reg set

Post by Sounder »

Orenw,

Tell us a bit more about your diving and when you were certified. That'll help a lot.

One recommendation I have, that I know many here agree have, is to wait to buy all your gear for a bit and get out with people who have extra gear to loan. It's a great way to learn what people are actually using and why. Much of what is on your list are things people buy initially which eventually they end up selling to get different stuff... and as they see all the money they wasted going down the drain, they're wishing they had bought the stuff they wanted in the first place from the beginning.

There are loads of people here with gear to loan, myself included, so save your money for a minute and let's go for a dive first.

-Doug
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
spudgunman
Compulsive Diver

Re: WTB: BCD, Computer, and Reg set

Post by spudgunman »

also there is a fair bit on craigs list right now (not saying its good or right to buy) just I was doing my weekly troll for HP130's and there is a lot of "full sets of gear" then normal in the greater area.
Kelly(boy)
_____
Per TOS: I explicitly ask you to feel free to criticize me constructively or just because you want to pick on me.
ornew
Getting To Know Folks

Re: WTB: Scubapro Regulator, Dive Computer w/Air intergratio

Post by ornew »

looking for Reg and Computer now
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

If your eager to get a reg setup I would highly recommend you look at the Hog setup. It is a high quality easy breathing cold water reg setup at a very low price. I use it and know several others that do and we all really like it. It is also an easy reg to service yourself if you get to that point in your diving. Hog First Stage D1 Cold, Hog Balanced Second Stage you can get for around $270.00 brand new.

A word of caution,, Air integrated computers are cool but very expensive and if the battery goes in the middle of a dive or something else fails you are finished because you have no way of knowing how much air you have left. I'd recommend you go with a good conventional computer and an analog SPG or if you simply HAVE to have an AI use a backup spg.
Agent 47
Aquaphile

Post by Agent 47 »

Dusty2 wrote:If your eager to get a reg setup I would highly recommend you look at the Hog setup. It is a high quality easy breathing cold water reg setup at a very low price. I use it and know several others that do and we all really like it. It is also an easy reg to service yourself if you get to that point in your diving. Hog First Stage D1 Cold, Hog Balanced Second Stage you can get for around $270.00 brand new.

A word of caution,, Air integrated computers are cool but very expensive and if the battery goes in the middle of a dive or something else fails you are finished because you have no way of knowing how much air you have left. I'd recommend you go with a good conventional computer and an analog SPG or if you simply HAVE to have an AI use a backup spg.
I have changed my opinion on the HOG after I saw the first couple come into my shop for annual service. The chrome on the first stage is very poorly done it flakes off because inspite the fact that it looks like an apeks is is not nearly as well built. it is in short a typical knockoff of a good regulator and is akin to buying a pair of nike shoes on a street in hong kong and expecting them to last like a pair of real ones. The environmental sealing is built to look good but due to the fact that the sealing surface is maited with a poorly chromed surface on top of a dirty alloy of brass it does not create a proper seal and allows salt water to enter the first stage where the problem is then exponentially worse. not only is the inside of the first stage not designed to resist corosion but the defunct diaphram seal at this point does little more than insure that the corosive salt water is now trapped inside the regulator where it can destroy your investment without concern of being thwarted by your post dive cleaning attempts. the second stage has a design flaw that is a literal ticking time bomb I had a customer who purchased one tell me he was diving with it only a couple months after buying it and purged the second stage after practicing a reg recovery at thirty feet and it stuck open and emptied his tank in the time it took for him and his buddy to reach the surface and get the valve shut off. I found that the tolerances in the second stage are far to tight on the purge button and a single grain of sand had been forced intot he tight area between the button and cover and as soon as the button was depressed it stuck fast in the pressed possision and all his efforts to stop it freeflowing were futile. It requred a complete take down and service to get the button to reset. In short I was excited about these things when they first came out, who wouldnt buy something that looks just like one of the best regulators made for half the price. But now you couldnt pay me enough to trust my life to one of these things.
The nice thing about modern air intigrated computers from Suunto and ScubaPro is they will not turn on on the surface if the battery is below 10% this means that the battery will not go dead during a dive. This has been the case for several years and is a standard design on every modern air intigrated computer that I am familiar with. Due to this it is debatable if adding a SPG along with a AI computer is worth the aditional failure points. The aditional features in a AI computer are benefitial in recreational diving aplications and inspite the generally higher price tag they are very nice to use.
I do have opinions of my own,,,very strong opinions!,, I just don't allways agree with them.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
doug7377
Avid Diver

Post by doug7377 »

my recommendation is go with a mk25/s600 that rag you can use at almost ever leavel of diving and the Oceanic Pro comp it a good start but that me i also recommand looking at ever review you can find go to the shops and look at ever thing ask people. if you want to try one out send me a message and let go do a test dive
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Re: WTB: Scubapro Regulator, Dive Computer w/Air intergr

Post by Joshua Smith »

I have a MK25/ s600 I might be interested in selling. PM me if you're interested.
ornew wrote:Looking for Scubapro regulator setup
1st/ 2nd stage
Mk17/ Mk25
G250v/ S600

Looking for Dive Computer w/ Air integration
Wisdom 2
Uwatec
Aeries Ai
Oceanic Pro comp
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."