How to go about contacting DAN for dive related injury?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

So coming out of the water at lobster shop last night, swim in, take off fins and start the walk out... stepped on a rock in about 3' of water and my ankle went sideways, it was sore but I was able to walk up to the truck, put stuff away ect, now this morning can barely walk on it... I've had sprain's before and if this felt like one I would care so much but it don't feel like a sprain...

so my question is, how do I contact DAN on a weekend? Do I just go to the hospital and give them my insurance card? (don't have my own health insurance or I would just go) or call the emergency line? It don't exactly feel like an emergency but it don't feel good either...

any help would be... errr... helpful :)
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
edm81363
Aquaphile

Re: How to go about contacting DAN for dive related injury?

Post by edm81363 »

You can always reach DAN at +1 (919) 684-9111, 24/7.
-Ed in Mill Creek
OW, AOW, Boat, Deep, EANx, CPR, First Aid, O2, Rescue, HSA, DM
Magoi
Dive-aholic

Post by Magoi »

According to my DAN Handbook, you can call the DAN Hotline at 1-919-684-8111 or 1-919-684-4326 for "all suspected diving injuries". Sounds like it may be worth calling before you go to the hospital.

Good luck. Hope it is not too serious.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Yes just call any of the above #'s. If its not feelin good its conscidered an emergency. They'll be glad you called and so will you.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Sounds like beach time to me. Keep us posted.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Please take this opportunity to program the above numbers into your cell phone. If you type "DAN" into mine, you get 3-4 ways of reaching them... and if you type "Duke" in you get 2 ways of reaching Duke Diving Medicine.

These numbers, the anti-poaching line, and your regular dive spots' non-emergency police phone number are all great numbers to have on hand, and I know most of my buddies have them in their phones.
Last edited by Sounder on Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Geek,
Hope all turns out Okay for you.
Call the 919-684-2498 number and ask questions. :smt064

Sounder,
Remember when you started the thread about what should be in your S.A.D. kit?
That was a great thread, but got kind of long.

I figure if I have the D.A.N. information line, 919-684-2498, they could point me in the right direction as far as emergency or not.

I agree we should have all important DAN numbers in our phone but now...
Dive emergency line's
919-684-8111 (Durham Regional Hospital)
919-684-4326( which you should call if you need to make a collect call)
919-684-9111 (24/7)the Latin America Hotline number, where speakers of Spanish and Portuguese can receive help.
Non-Diving Emergencies
800-326-3822. - This number, available 24/7, helps arrange transportation provided by MedAire,
OR
(Information line)
919-684-2498 if you're calling from anywhere outside the United States and Canada, use this direct line.
If you have a question about your membership, insurance status, need to find a dive doctor in your area, or need information on diving with a stuffy nose, this is the number to call. The DAN staff is there to help.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

I'm sorry to hear about you plight geek. I really hope DAN comes through for you. They left me holding the bag in a spectacular way with a similar but worse injury. My best advise is to make sure to tell them it happened WHILE DIVING. If you give them room for interpretation of any kind they'll likely tell you that you're not covered. Good luck to you!
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

Thanks for the info guys, I did end up calling the emergency line, would have called the info line but it's the weekend, basicly told me to go to a urgent care or emergency room and they cover what my (non exsistant) insurance wouldn't... giving it through the weekend and see if it will get better on it's own but it kinda sucks....

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Geek wrote:Thanks for the info guys, I did end up calling the emergency line, would have called the info line but it's the weekend, basicly told me to go to a urgent care or emergency room and they cover what my (non exsistant) insurance wouldn't... giving it through the weekend and see if it will get better on it's own but it kinda sucks....
Ice, elevation, ibuprofin and cheap ankle splints from Walgreens. And- this is very important- DON'T re-injure it. I just went through this last year, and it really sucks. Wear some good, stiff workboots, and lace 'em up snug.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

If you can bear weight on it, the likelihood is that it isn't broken, especially if you can push on the back of the two ankle bones (not the front!) without pain. (This is called the Ottawa ankle rules, and they aren't infallible . . . they failed spectacularly with my massive ankle crush injury, but then again, I have one of the world's highest pain tolerances.)

You can pick up a thing called an air splint at a medical supply store -- they give the ligaments of the ankle significant support, reduce the pain, and reduce the chance of reinjury. Take sprains seriously -- they are real damage to the ligaments that support the joint, and if not allowed to heal well, can result in a unstable ankle that is much more likely to roll.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

LCF wrote: You can pick up a thing called an air splint at a medical supply store -- they give the ligaments of the ankle significant support, reduce the pain, and reduce the chance of reinjury. Take sprains seriously -- they are real damage to the ligaments that support the joint, and if not allowed to heal well, can result in a unstable ankle that is much more likely to roll.
I'm pretty sure that I still have my splint from when I hurt my ankle. You can use it if you need it. It should fit you.
When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap.
Cynthia Heimel
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

Real men wear steel toed ex-ship yard boots instead of splints :angelblue:

citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

Geek wrote:Real men wear steel toed ex-ship yard boots instead of splints :angelblue:
A certain real man must be stupid to not wear a splint :angelblue: :iamwithstupid:
When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap.
Cynthia Heimel
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Geek wrote:Real men wear steel toed ex-ship yard boots instead of splints :angelblue:

Wear the splint AND the boots. Trust me on this one. You do NOT want to roll it again, and you're particularly vulnerable to doing just that, for a long time.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."