Artificial Reef in Wa???

General banter about diving and why we love it.
mattwave
Amphibian

Artificial Reef in Wa???

Post by mattwave »

Will it ever happen?
Does anyone care anymore?
WSA?
"Scuba Like You Love It!"
Let's go diving
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Artificial Reef in Wa???

Post by CaptnJack »

Nope, not going to happen again (we have a bunch).
There's way too much resource agency (NOAA, WDFW, DNR) energy against them and not enough tourism $$$ investment motivation for them.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

mattwave wrote:Will it ever happen?
Does anyone care anymore?
WSA?
Slow day at the shop huh?
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
mattwave
Amphibian

Post by mattwave »

LOL well more than that, just wishing we had a big ol wreck to dive.
Maybe in the Lake...
Let's go diving
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

mattwave wrote:just wishing we had a big ol wreck to dive.
Maybe in the Lake...
We do have a lot of wrecks to dive, especially in the Lake. Most were actually scuttled, so you might call them "Artificial Reefs"! :angelblue:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

boydski wrote:
Maybe in the Lake...
We do have a lot of wrecks to dive, especially in the Lake. Most were actually scuttled, so you might call them "Artificial Reefs"! :angelblue:
Yessss, going out to one this weekend, stay tuned... :taco:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

boydski wrote:
Maybe in the Lake...
What we really need is a book that tells us about the wrecks we can dive!
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
mattwave
Amphibian

Post by mattwave »

Yes the lake is full of wrecks.
Let's go diving
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

mattwave wrote:LOL well more than that, just wishing we had a big ol wreck to dive.
Maybe in the Lake...
Diamond knot. Gov, Sampson, BUnker hill, AJ Fuller, Multahnoma, Al-en-des-ka-se, Those arent big enough?
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Maverick wrote:
mattwave wrote:LOL well more than that, just wishing we had a big ol wreck to dive.
Maybe in the Lake...
Diamond knot. Gov, Sampson, BUnker hill, AJ Fuller, Multahnoma, Al-en-des-ka-se, Those arent big enough?
They're a pita between the currents and VTS. I'd love something shallower with a decent amount of bottom time and only exposed to currents 1/2 of the day, like the Mackenzie. As artificial "wrecks" go that is pretty much perfectly situated.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

The problem with those is they are all extremely technical dives and not the kind that bring tourist $$. They are deep dangerous and difficult to access. I think Matt is talking about wrecks placed in areas where they are accessible to everyone and at recreational depths like the ones in BC and Florida.

It would be awesome to have a few but I'm pretty sure it won't happen in WA. There is just to much resistance in government and no single agency that is in control of such things. They are way more interested in putting up roadblocks and rules that prevent such things. They don't consider the scuba industry to be a good income producing or politically influential entity and the green wave has to strong of a hold on such things.
Gooch
Submariner

Post by Gooch »

I know I have discussed this same topic before on here and there are a lot of good points made on both sides of the coin. There is a lot of info here: http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9628

I think the Puget Sound could use big wrecks that are more accessible to divers of all levels of certification. What it will take to make it happen is a community that says "We want to do this, it makes sense, try to stop us."

I wrote an article about this on a blog that a friend and I are creating to collect scuba dive reviews and original articles of interest we write. I wrote this piece as an email message to the head of the DNR and sent it to him...I haven't heard a peep back naturally.

http://nwdivers.me/blog/?p=67
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!