Owen Beach -- Looking for information

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Gvonada
Frequent Bubbler

Owen Beach -- Looking for information

Post by Gvonada »

I am hoping to dive Owen beach. It sounds like a fun dive, but I can't find any current correction information. Has anyone had any experience diving this site? Please help!
boydski
Submariner

Re: Owen Beach -- Looking for information

Post by boydski »

Gvonada wrote:I am hoping to dive Owen beach. It sounds like a fun dive, but I can't find any current correction information. Has anyone had any experience diving this site? Please help!
Owen Beach is close enough to the North Tacoma Narrows current station that you can plan your dive using slack water for the Narrows (North). We usually enter the water about 30 minutes before predicted slack on days with a moderate exchange and head down to the Barge or the Martina.

On days with a larger exchange, we plan on entering 30 minutes before slack and then watch for the surface current to slow down before entering. This usually means waiting an extra ten minutes or so at the picnic tables on the beach. It gives you lots of extra time to answer questions from the onlookers! :angelblue:

You do NOT want to dive this site on a day with heavy North winds as it gets very rough. However with our more typical South winds, it is quite protected.

Have a great dive!
Gvonada
Frequent Bubbler

Re: Owen Beach -- Looking for information

Post by Gvonada »

Thanks so much! Happy diving,

Greg