David Doubilet @ Wa. Center For Performing arts March 29th

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

David Doubilet @ Wa. Center For Performing arts March 29th

Post by Waynne Fowler »

A copy and paste ad from the WCFPA website
-----------------------------------------------------------

David has photographed over 60 stories for the National Geographic Magazine where he is currently a Contributing Photographer-in-Residence. David has documented our changing underwater world since his first assignment with the Geographic in 1971. In addition to the Geographic, David’s work continues to appear in countless publications worldwide and he is a contributing editor and feature columnists for the Behind the Shot in Sport Diver Magazine (US) and Seascapes and Dive Magazine (UK).

Born in New York City in 1946, David began shooting underwater at the age of 12 using a Brownie Hawkeye camera in an improvised housing - a rubber anesthesiologist’s bag from his father’s hospital. His teen years found him submerged off the New Jersey coast and in the Caribbean waters surrounding tiny Small Hope Bay, Bahamas. He built a passion for the sea and everything in it. David graduated from Boston University in 1970.

David’s challenge to himself is to redefine photographic boundaries each time he enters the water. His passion is the undersea majesty of light and how to capture it. Completely at home on a coral reef, a World War II wreck, a deep dark fjord or among the great giants in our sea, David has relentlessly pursued the many hidden layers of coral reefs around the globe. His cold water work has immersed him in the rich waters of New Zealand, Tasmania, Scotland, Japan, the Northwest Atlantic and Northeast Pacific. Recent photographic journeys have taken him into some of the largest freshwater systems on our planet such as the great Okavango Delta system in Botswana and the St. Lawrence River.

Tickets:
$13.75 - $33.50* + $2.50 Service Fee
----------------------------------------------------------------

Tickets can be purchased via the Wa. Center for the performing arts website or via www.olytix.org
or phone 360-753-8586

Hope to see you there... David is an amazing photograper and just a plain ol' nice guy, you'll be sure to have a wonderful time.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
whatevah
Aquanaut

Re: David Doubilet @ Wa. Center For Performing arts March 29

Post by whatevah »

Oh geez - I hope I can make it. Thanks for posting this Waynne. For those who aren't familiar with David Doubilet's work, someone recently posted a link to some amazing nudibranch shots from National Geographic - those were David's. That project got him a lot of attention (I think the photos spoke for themselves and gave superb detail which can be useful for scientific work, but some felt that taking the nudibranchs from their environment and posing them with an artificial background was not okay). I have a book of his photographs called "Fish Face" - it is incredible and for photographers it is a motivation and a terrific source for ideas - check it out if you get the opportunity.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

whatevah wrote:Oh geez - I hope I can make it. Thanks for posting this Waynne. For those who aren't familiar with David Doubilet's work, someone recently posted a link to some amazing nudibranch shots from National Geographic - those were David's. That project got him a lot of attention (I think the photos spoke for themselves and gave superb detail which can be useful for scientific work, but some felt that taking the nudibranchs from their environment and posing them with an artificial background was not okay). I have a book of his photographs called "Fish Face" - it is incredible and for photographers it is a motivation and a terrific source for ideas - check it out if you get the opportunity.
Oh I *loved* those pics. Very cool--hope I can make it.
Kelly
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

I saw a presentation from Doubilet a few years ago as part of the National Geographic Live series in Seattle. He is a really good lecturer and funny too. Amazing photographer and adventurer. I'll put this on my calendar for sure.

Dave
Dave
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

we should all plan to grab some dinner before the show. I'd give me a chance to meet some of the folks here I've not had the pleasure of meeting yet.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

he is in the national geographic DVD "the photographers"

wish I could go
i flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nice-diver/

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it's easier to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs!
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Waynne Fowler wrote:we should all plan to grab some dinner before the show. I'd give me a chance to meet some of the folks here I've not had the pleasure of meeting yet.
Sounds like a plan. Just read an article about him in one of the dive mags (can't remember which) while on vaca. Looking forward to this!
Kelly
lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by lundysd »

Tickets bought.

Doubilet is without a doubt my favorite underwater photographer :)

Scott
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Just bought 6 tickets for this - 3 crazy photo taking divers and their long suffering non-diving spouses.

Should be fun!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

awesome folks.... We'd love to do dinner with you all. PM me, meet me at the NWDC booth Sunday between 12-1, call me, email me, send me a smoke signal (telepathy won't work.... i'z got no brain to recieve with)...
email waynne_fowler*hotmail.com (change the * to an @)
phone 360-four eight zero- 6484

sorry for the cryptic msg... just befuddling the bots
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Waynne Fowler wrote:awesome folks.... We'd love to do dinner with you all. PM me, meet me at the NWDC booth Sunday between 12-1, call me, email me, send me a smoke signal (telepathy won't work.... i'z got no brain to recieve with)...

Um . . . you *do* realize this event is *before* the Dive Expo, right?

DBrown and I would love to do dinner, but between Derrick's work schedule and traffic, I'm not sure I should promise anything. However, if you set something up, I'd love to know so we might be able to meet you there. :)
Kelly
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I think perhaps Wayne is a bit confused as to timing... :)

The six of us don't have dinner plans as of yet, but name a spot and we certainly might be able to come as well!

Should be a great evening.
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

ktb wrote:
Waynne Fowler wrote:awesome folks.... We'd love to do dinner with you all. PM me, meet me at the NWDC booth Sunday between 12-1, call me, email me, send me a smoke signal (telepathy won't work.... i'z got no brain to recieve with)...

Um . . . you *do* realize this event is *before* the Dive Expo, right?
Tom Nic wrote:I think perhaps Wayne is a bit confused as to timing... :)The six of us don't have dinner plans as of yet, but name a spot and we certainly might be able to come as well!

Should be a great evening.
:nutty: I do now... again.... and yes... confusion is a constant state of mind for me... :nutty: :neener: ....

Winter and I will be hitting Applebee's on the west side of Olympia, just off black lake blvd for dinner before the show. (2500 Capitol Mall Dr SW, Olympia, WA 98502. (360) 352-8500 ).
We are planning on being at the event center no less than 30 mn's before the show. 45 would be preferable I would imagine. So we'll be sitting down to dinner about 4:30-4:45
Hope to see some, if not all, of you there.
I'm getting rather excited about this presentation I'm thinkin' it's gonna be wicked cool!
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Yeah, no way DBrown and I would make that dinner time--I'll be lucky if he makes it home to Renton by 5pm, and then we have to drive to Oly through the lovely traffic. But I'll try to remember to wear my NWDC t-shirt of sweatshirt so you can find us to say hello!!
Kelly
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

If anyone decides to do the dinner just ask the host where Waynne & Jackie are sitting.
Or dial my cell # from my previous post.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Not sure if we'll be down there in time, but if we are we'll stop in.
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

The show was very good, the photos were amazing and David gave a fun speach.
His pictures are truely amazing. The WCFTPA did a real nice job too.
I got to see tons of friends and prior students but unfortunatly I didn't get a chance to
meet any of the NWDC members, I was on the lookout for club apparel but
Didn't see any. :(
Hope everyone had as good a time as I did.
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Hey! I was wearing my club sweatshirt--tomnic spotted me. I kept expecting some random guy to approach and say hello . . . :)
Kelly
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

Waynne Fowler wrote: I didn't get a chance to meet any of the NWDC members, I was on the lookout for club apparel but
Didn't see any. :(
Hope everyone had as good a time as I did.
Hi Waynne,

I was sitting right behind you and Jackie, but didn't get a chance to say hello before the show started and you missed me as you left. #-o

Before the show started I was very fortunate to be able to spend about 15 minutes talking to David Doubilet about his work. Since I was the only other Underwater Photographer at a reception, it was easy to monopolize his time. :angelblue:
He's been taking pictures underwater for a long, long time and had some hair-raising stories to tell!
Attachments
David Doubilet and Scott Boyd at the WA Center
David Doubilet and Scott Boyd at the WA Center
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

:( Sorry I missed ya Kelly... I was looking for your shirt, but with my advanced age an all... my eyesights not what it used to be! Looks like I'll have to introduce myself at the booth. :)

I saw ya over there Scott smoozin with Mr. D, I almost came over to rub elbows but figured the rash on my elbow wouldn't be met too warmly!... :) I didn't see you behind me either... great seat's though huh!? His Nudibranch pictures are some of my favorites.... I'd never even heard of that sunlight nudi.... that's not right but I can't remember it's name right now... it was the first one he showed in his nudibranch studio.... hmmmm.....

I had a rather funny experience at the front door. I'd stepped out to take a phone call and as I was coming back in when David and I sort of bumped into each other, the host who was checking tickets had just checked me in as I got the phone call so didn't care to see mine again... David simply walked on through and the lady was calling after him saying "sir.... sir.. I need to see your ticket" he responded "ummm I don't think I need one" and continued to walk "sir" she say's " I'm sorry but you DO need a ticket to enter" and as she looks up at me with a rather annoyed look I tell her that that is David Doubilet the speaker tonight... just as 2 guys approach him and say "Sir... we need to see your ticket" All three of the employee's sort of blushed as they realized who it was they were demanding a ticket from... David just sort of smirked and walked on...
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

A great evening, a very engaging presentation (appreciated by the 3 long-suffering non-diving spouses in our group), and he took questions from the audience for the better part of an hour.

It was a non-technical presentation to a general audience, and the size of screen isn't the best medium to show photographs on, but it was still very entertaining, lots of fun, and a great way to spend an evening!

It was nice to see Kellly and Derrick, I think I saw Scott Lundy, and that was about all. The cold prevented much NWDC paraphenalia, though I think we were pretty well represented.
lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by lundysd »

Yup I was there, and I was sitting right in front of Kelly and Derek and didn't realize it until afterwards!

It was a fun time -- the presentation was cool, but he really came alive in the q&a.

Tom I kept trying to come over and say hi but it just never worked out -- hopefully we will connect at the expo.

I'm not sure if she's on here much, but I think it was Madison who asked about his favorite nudi --- awesome question :supz:

For the people who are coming to the photo workshop this Friday, I will try to remember his coffee table book --- it's absolutely amazing.

Scott
Winter
Dive-aholic

Post by Winter »

I was wearing my NWDC shirt but we were one of the first there and first ones to leave. The seats were deceivingly not comfy.
Least fav shot was the one with the feet in the sand, ugh, even more I hate nail polish!
Favorite shots would have to be the lone shark with the purple sky in the background. And the arial shots! And those nudis the studio.
Im looking forward to the photo workshop this weekend! Got me put up in a hotel room allll by myself.
http://www.winterdiverart.com/
Be not the slave of your own past ... plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with new power, with an advanced experience, that shall explain and overlook the old.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Winter wrote: Least fav shot was the one with the feet in the sand, ugh,
Being that that is one of my favorite shots... I think I'm gonna 'flag' your post as inapproprate! :smt064 :boxer:
Winter wrote: Favorite shots would have to be the lone shark with the purple sky in the background. And those nudis the studio.
Those 2 shark shots with the fisheye lens were amazing.