Any suggestions for marking black fins or derlin canisters?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Rooinater
Dive-aholic

Any suggestions for marking black fins or derlin canisters?

Post by Rooinater »

I have a tendency to mark every major piece of gear for a couple reasons;
1) it's a habit that stuck with me from the Marines,
2) I like to be able to identify which is my gear at a glance,
3) I've had all of my gear stolen before and it gives a psuedo peace of mind if an item gets taken or is inadvertently left behind as well.

Since I switched to OMS Slipstreams I still haven't figured out a semi-permanent way of marking my fins, or at least making them easily identifiable since most people I dive with have the same/similar fins and size. Also I'd like to mark my Lightmonkey canister semi-permanently. I know it's huge (20 amp/hr) so it's easy to spot in a group of mainly 10 watt HID lights, or LED's but I would still like to have it marked. Has anyone found a good way of marking derlin cans or black fins?
lamont
I've Got Gills

Re: Any suggestions for marking black fins or derlin caniste

Post by lamont »

reflective mailbox lettering from home despot works on can lights and stage bottles. paint pens that you get from art supply stores along with sharpies are good. i believe there's marine lettering you can get at stores like seattle marine, i haven't used that, but you could use that to stencil your name on your tanks even.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

The 3M Solas tape seems to work on jet fins pretty well, but only after you've dived them for a bit. At first there is a bunch of oils and such that need to come out... I'm aware of nothing that sticks during that phase. This said, I'm absolutely not an expert on this kind of stuff whatsoever.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Matt S.
Submariner

Post by Matt S. »

A paint pen should work but you will need to redo the lettering once in a while, on the fins anyway.
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Check out the tri-chem paints, they stick great to lights, fins and most other materials.
But as Sounder mentioned, it won't stick permanantly on the fins till they've aged a bit due to the oils.
I've not personally used the stuff as I hate marking my stuff for the most part. Nobody wants my shit anyway as its gettin pretty old (like me)
Though several of our customers used it years ago (3-4) and it still looks good. The downside is IMO, its that pooffy kinda paint... It actually stands up... Hey, I could use it to mark my line arrows and cookies! Hmmm...
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Does prepping the surface to be painted with some abrasive like fine sand paper do any good?
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

I have done OK with paint markers, the ones I have purchased at Tacoma Screw seem to be better than the others I have used. Sharpie has a silver marker that is a bit more widely available that also works OK and is suitable for marking black objects.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Waynne Fowler wrote:But as Sounder mentioned...
Be warned - nothing good ever came from this. Often, this can be right up there with "Hold my beer, watch this!" #-o
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

I just use a plain old silver sharpie.. I tried the expensive "diving markers" (white paint pens) its just flakes off fins and delrin..

the silver sharpie has been on my Hollis fins for 2 years and still visible!
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

i used our office's Brother label maker to create labels with my name and phone number. they adhered nicely to my backplate, canlight, and other smooth surfaces and have lasted through many dives. cheap and easy to replace.

i don't think they'd hold up on fins, though.
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

Odd colored zip ties. I was on a live aboard with 14 or so other divers, all with nearly identical gear. I put a green zip tie on each item... One on each spring strap, on my comp and compass, smb, wet notes, mask, you name it. Cheap, durable, easily replaced, easy to ID your gear in a pile on a charter, and they'll annoy the crap out of your tech instructors!

Me---> :smt064 <---BDub

.....then.......

BDub---> :blackblink: :crybaby: <-----me.

:rofl: <---Jeanna
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
Biodiversity_Guy
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Biodiversity_Guy »

Fishstiq wrote:Odd colored zip ties. I put a green zip tie on each item...
Nice out-of-the-box thinking!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

When I was in Florida last week, I saw a couple of people who had marked their Delrin canisters with their names around the top of the can in p-touch tape. Very elegant, and seemed to be sticking well.

I haven't found much that works on fins, but I have surfboard decals on mine that are doing sort of okay . . .
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Dive Monkey
Aquaphile

Post by Dive Monkey »

Bring it over! I have a torch and a leather punch stencil kit. We'll "mark" it up real good for you :extinguishflame: