Equipment Talk

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

boils down to preference and functionality....

Post by Dave »

Right on the purpose of the bands, who knows when I may want to do additional dive and want to use my single tanks...

As far as the D rings go, i like to use them for what ever I feel like putting on them, i.e Octos, gauges, light, fins on my way to the water and whatever else I can think of so in my opinion the more the merrier!!!

The reason I will more than likely go with the deluxe harness is simply because I think I like the simple chest strap for (to me) a more comfortable fit,,,no big deal,,,personal choice. As far as the double bladder goes , I would prefer a double bladder over a lift bag and "hardly ever breaks" on the bladder is all the encouragement I need to get one....

As far as the ditchable weights go I do indeed use them while diving doubles, and I don't use a weight belt (never had a back ache when I did either??) or v-weight. granted that will probably change when I go to the harness and backplate

I don't see me going the rebreather route for at least a couple of years if ever, but who knows what the future holds...

All in all diving is supposed to be SAFE and FUN and people were diving safely and having a lot of fun long before all the fads and advancements of today's dive world.........
:wav:
TAKE only pictures,,, LEAVE only bubbles...
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Wow, this is all some great info guys. Janne, I'll check out the links you provided. I'd like to get some of this stuff used so that its cheaper. Also, do you guys know of anyone making their own custom backplates out of a machine shop? My friend's dad used to do this with what they call "Hawaiian backpacks" way back in the day.
da_jab
Aquaphile

Post by da_jab »

tangfish wrote:Also, do you guys know of anyone making their own custom backplates out of a machine shop?

Ofcourse people are making their own stuff at machine shops like backplates and canister lights. My friends that have the macchinery have been doing even housings for digital cameras from aluminum.

.Janne

ps. Damn, the weather looks good out there today...
What works, works!
--Sheck Exley
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Ok Dave it is all your fault

Jay and i are talking about makeing doubles out of our Al 80s
jay used a set of doubles from mike at Hoodsportndive and made two dives on them I was watching they looked real stable and I dont rember jay useing any weight at all

I am so going to make me a set of doubles its not funny

and if the wife sayes any thing im going to tell her its

ALL DAVES FAULT

Thats my storie and Im sticking to it

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Dave, this looks like a pretty alright DUI suit, what do you think?

Janne, I saw your dry gloves as a different brand here in the US, can you point me to a place to guy a pair? :rr:
da_jab
Aquaphile

Post by da_jab »

tangfish wrote:Janne, I saw your dry gloves as a different brand here in the US, can you point me to a place to guy a pair?
My gloves are made by Nordic Blue in Sweden. Don't know who distributes them here in the US but maybe you could drop them a mail and ask.

.Janne
What works, works!
--Sheck Exley
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Now this is something y'all will get a kick out of: Nokia brand drysuit.

Janne, explanation?
da_jab
Aquaphile

Post by da_jab »

Yeah, that really is a dry suit made by Nokia Safety Equipment, a company that made suits back in tha day but then it got sold to Viking/Trelleborg and you can't get them anymore.

You know Nokia makes all kinds of things from rubber, like boots and car tyres.

Nokia has also made all kinds of stuff beginning of wood-pulp, cables, computers, radios, tvs, all kinds of electronics.
More about Nokia can be found from: http://www.nokiainfo.net/nokiahistory.php

.J
What works, works!
--Sheck Exley
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Dave »

Ok Dave it is all your fault

Blame assumed,
Thank you!!!!
Hasn't everyone gone doubles yet???? That is going to be a lot of fun when we can do our first all doubles dive!!!!!

:rr:
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Dave wrote:Ok Dave it is all your fault

Blame assumed,
Thank you!!!!
Hasn't everyone gone doubles yet???? That is going to be a lot of fun when we can do our first all doubles dive!!!!!

That would be tight
I will most like be the last to convert my gear though as Im Diving on a Budget, Wife keeps me on a short leash when it comes to my spending on my dive gear.

and i am stil not 100% sure which gear I want to buy.

by the way how much time are you getting out of your Twins you never did say.

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Dave »

Well I would love to tell you but I have yet to dive with another diver with doubles!!!!! (Calvin,,,Ryan!!!!) I will let you know and I am looking forward to my first 2 hour dive!!!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Don't bitch at me [-X get on Doug's case!!! :axe:
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Dave :

you made the coment before about maybe wanting to do a nother dive and diving a single tank .

you know you can get a Adaptor that just boolts right to the Plate thats is what I have with the Dive rite Plate your going to check out

you could just have the straps on the STA

for when you dive that way.

It would be a esy thing to do
here is how it would work.

1- unbolt your bands holding the Twins,
remove your double wing - or dive your double wing but it will toco the single tank .

2- bolt the STA with the straps already instaled in the exting slots
to the plate in the same holes your Bands were bolted to

3- install the single tank and First stage Reg.

4- Go do a Dive being sure to remind your self that you are diving with a single tank and not the twins

See easy pleasey

in fact spraking of which I have a deal - idea for you on that back plate I have check watch you PM box
ill shoot you a Pm about it in a few minutes here

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
da_jab
Aquaphile

Post by da_jab »

Dave wrote: I am looking forward to my first 2 hour dive!!!
Then it's time to get a p-valve installed... ;)

.J
What works, works!
--Sheck Exley
da_jab
Aquaphile

Post by da_jab »

sparky wrote: It would be a esy thing to do
here is how it would work.
-- 8< --
3- install the single tank and First stage Reg.
Then you'll need a Y valve on your single tank, since you'll need both of your 2nd stages.

.J
What works, works!
--Sheck Exley
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

[/quote]

Then you'll need a Y valve on your single tank, since you'll need both of your 2nd stages.

.J[/quote]

Ok see my bad or if you had a spare reg then you could just go that route as well

but it still would not be that big a thing to switch from doubles to single

atleast thats what im going to be doing soon I hope

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
da_jab
Aquaphile

Post by da_jab »

Well, once you go double you ain't gonna want to go back to single tank diving again. You just buy another set of doubles if you want to do a second dive the same day. :supz:

.J
What works, works!
--Sheck Exley
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

This looks like a sweet new regulator, for anyone who's in the market.
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Dave »

Looks sweet Calvin, I think I am geared up in the gas delivery section for a while though. I now have 2 mk 25's with S-600's and am using the titanium OZ as my spare for the pony bottle when I (if I must) dive with a single tank....
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Calvin wrote:This looks like a sweet new regulator, for anyone who's in the market.
looks like a nice Reg, though I can only see one thing I would change.

I noticed it is a Yoke and not a DIN First stage I am going to move from the Yoke to the DIN Conection between now and the time I start diving Doubles The DIN is a much cleaner conection with less of a chance to snag on some thing while your swimming.

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I'm thinking of going DIN on my twins as well, since they're high pressure and boy that would suck to blow an O-ring
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Calvin wrote:I'm thinking of going DIN on my twins as well, since they're high pressure and boy that would suck to blow an O-ring

I know my thoughts too and with my luck I would be like 75 feet down to boot ](*,)

not willing to take that risk myself.

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

I have never dove a Yoke except when traveling...all my tanks are DIN and that was right off the bat...my OW INST. recommended DINS and the reasons why. It's hard to find rentals, so you need a Yoke adapter but diving twins or even HP singles, I prefer the DIN...
Just my 2PSI
K
"Let's go diving!"
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

so, is it ok to just get a yoke to DIN adapter or should I spring for DIN 1st stages?
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

You need to get your first stages converted to DIN...you can buy a kit from the manufacturer...as for your tanks, it will depend on the valve if it can be din or not?
Call either Mike at HS&D or Tac. Scuba, they can help you.
K
"Let's go diving!"