Bottle Hunting Seminar

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Bottle Hunting Seminar

Post by Zen Diver »

Bottle Hunting Seminar by Valerie Lyttle

Like to search for unusual bottles? Enjoy the sense of nostalgia or history that comes with finding a treasure? Looking for something new to help bring diving alive for you?

Then the Bottle Hunting Seminar is for you!

Topics will include equipment used, dive search techniques, researching and identification hints. Feel free to bring along any bottles or artifacts you’ve found.

Where: TL Sea Diving, Des Moines

When: 6:00 PM, Tuesday, February 27th

Best of all, it's FREE!!!!!!!!! \:D/
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

Valerie,

This sounds cool.

Have you seen the bottle of Conac I found under the sunken cruiseship pier in Cozumel? I am not sure if I had it displayed when you last visited. I would love to know how old it is. I am thinking it is a new bottle though. No date anywhere on it.

I have considered bottle hunting but I am always afraid to bring old bottles up because of stuff that could be living in them, like little octos. This sounds like a fun seminar and I will try to come.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Cool!
I am There! :supz: =D>
Do we need to call TLSea and let them know if we are attending?

FYI, Diver Dave up in Sitka has litteraly hundreds if not thousands of bottles he has collected. Many are worth alot of $$.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

I would love to come down there and go bottle colecting but there is so many places to get bottles its unbeleaveable......
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Finding things under water....
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Dave I think you have the market cornered when it comes to collecting bottles!

If anyone wants to collect bottles they should come up there and dive the harbor with you and the Sea Lions.(At Night) :smt064
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Re:

Post by Diver_Dave »

All u guys/gals should come up and do a little bottle hunting...Night time is the best time to go dive in the channel cause of all the boat traffic...Anytime u people r ready to go collecting come on upImageBottles bottles there all over the sea floor here...Image ImageImage
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Sitka bottles

Post by Diver_Dave »

When Scuba Scott was here he found these bottles on a night dive in the channel...Image
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

BASSMAN wrote:Cool!
I am There! :supz: =D>
Do we need to call TLSea and let them know if we are attending?
If you could, that would give them an idea of how many folks are coming.

See you there!

-Valerie :supz:
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Oop's Sorry can't make it.
I'll be in Mexico at that time.
Going to Ensinada for a few days

Maybe next time.
girldiver
Compulsive Diver

Post by girldiver »

I took Valeries seminar a couple years ago...WELL WORTH IT!!!

I had absolutely NO interest in bottles (just attended to be nice) and WOW!!! I learned soooo much and really got interested in the bottles that I see under the water.

If you haven't seen this...even if you have NO interest in bottles...definitely attend this seminar. Lots of cool stuff here.
Cindy
http://www.scubashoppe.com -
Retail, Training, Travel and a Full Service Center: 130 Main Street, Auburn.
Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Post by Sasquatch »

I like this entire concept. Just the other day I picked up what I thought was a broken moon snail shell as it was so thick. I thought I'd check it out topside and ditched it in a pocket. I remembered it when cleaning my gear and pulled it out. There seemed to be a little smudge on it that I couldn't rub off. I looked at it again and it had a makers mark and date, 1915, Buffalo China. I mean it was NOTHING really but in the first place imagine finding the piece of plate (a little bigger than my thumb) that had the date on it!

Do I have a point? Why, yes. It was a thrill and I'd like to find other artifacts someday.
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Sasquatch wrote:
Do I have a point? Why, yes. It was a thrill and I'd like to find other artifacts someday.
Yes, I can totally relate. I have broken bits of plates and bottles as well, that I hung onto because they were old or just spoke to me for some reason.

It can be very addicting... :book:

-Valerie
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Sasquatch wrote:
Yes, I can totally relate. I have broken bits of plates and bottles as well, that I hung onto because they were old or just spoke to me for some reason.

It can be very addicting... :book:

-Valerie
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

It can be very addicting...

-Valerie[/quote]
That is one of my favorit things to do is bottle hunting....Get on the sled and get towed around for a while and find a few bottles...
ImageSoon u guys will have them everywere in the houseImage
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Thanks to Tom Nic for coming out on a rainy night for the Bottle Hunting class! We had a pretty good turnout (10 folks) and lots of fun (well, I did anyway).

Thanks Tom! \:D/

-Valerie
Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Post by Sasquatch »

I hope to catch the next one. I left work at 5:50 and thought I had a direct route up the hill but was further north than I thought, 188th. By the time I got through the traffic on 99 it was twenty past and snowing/raining. I waved as I turned around and headed for I-5.

Next time!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I think Diver_Dave has taken bottle collecting to a whole new level. We might need to stage an intervention soon. I mean, just last week I went over to his house and found him passed out on the porch, surrounded by at least three dozen empty bottles! :partyman: :axe:
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

To Dave collecting means taking them all! He's almost single handedly cleaned up the entire Sitka area. I'm sure Beth just cringes everytime he brings another truckload home!

:supz:
Dave Mitchell
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

Oh come on u guys...Im not that bad am I...Hey Dave I herd chet found his first bottle over there in Juneau now hes out diving for bottles as much as king crab..Weather has been great for diving over here a little cold but u know how it is......There still is lots of bottles on the seafloor here u just got to know where to go and what to pick up what not to.....U guys make me want to go looking for bottles now....
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

Yea, he said it was a pretty cool one that he found.

I'm always up for bottle hunting. Had two milk bottles downtown a month or so ago but left them down there when I couldn't find my buddy in the silt. Little did I know, he'd given up on finding me and was just continuing his dive. Being the good buddy I am, I stood on the dock and watched his bubbles for 15 minutes.

I hope to head out to some of the old canneries and abandoned mines this summer. We had a POW Camp (germans) not far from here during WWII and I need to go check that out as well.

DM
Dave Mitchell
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

Just cleaned all the dust off the Med. bottlesImage
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Zen Diver 2 wrote:Thanks to Tom Nic for coming out on a rainy night for the Bottle Hunting class! We had a pretty good turnout (10 folks) and lots of fun (well, I did anyway).

Thanks Tom! \:D/

-Valerie
Fun seminar, and Good Job Val!
yoda
Just Settling In

Post by yoda »

Sorry Val, I had every intention of making it up there for your seminar - but looks like I'll have to catch it the next one! ](*,)

I've often wondered about those pieces of plates and bottles I see...
There's plenty of room for airplane races in the eye of a hurricane...
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

Did u guys get in the water after chatin about bottles????The other day my son sent me this link... http://www.brewerygems.com/rainier.htm
Was looking then there it was the green bottle about half way down on the right....Imagegot to love bottle hunting =D>
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Nope we didn't get out, but now we'll know more what to look for! \:D/