question about thing at dive show

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
spudgunman
Compulsive Diver

question about thing at dive show

Post by spudgunman »

there was this goofy surf board thing near the pool, it was some insane extreme sport that looked more like a great way to die.

They had a video and I wanted to show a coworker, anyone get the name of that company?
Kelly(boy)
_____
Per TOS: I explicitly ask you to feel free to criticize me constructively or just because you want to pick on me.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Re: question about thing at dive show

Post by Nwbrewer »

spudgunman wrote:there was this goofy surf board thing near the pool, it was some insane extreme sport that looked more like a great way to die.

They had a video and I wanted to show a coworker, anyone get the name of that company?
If nobody else does, I have their card at home. Looked like fun to me, but I'm pretty sure I could do the same thing with a piece of plywood and polyrope for like $10.

When I talked with the lady about it, she did say that the video looks like they're going faster than they are (~1knot), so slower than a scooter.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

I was watching the video when my wife pulled me away to go look at the do rags or something.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

spudgunman wrote:there was this goofy surf board thing near the pool, it was some insane extreme sport that looked more like a great way to die. They had a video and I wanted to show a coworker, anyone get the name of that company?

I think that was the "Reef Surfer". We used to use something similar when looking for very shallow wrecks, towing a diver (or several) slowly behind the boat. Then we discovered side scan sonar and I don't even know where those diving planes went? :nutty:
spudgunman
Compulsive Diver

Post by spudgunman »

bingo thanks
Kelly(boy)
_____
Per TOS: I explicitly ask you to feel free to criticize me constructively or just because you want to pick on me.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Yup ... I remember a picture of something like that in my OW manual (one of the Jeppeson books) back in 2001 ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
olyvtx
Dive-aholic

Post by olyvtx »

Nwbrewer wrote:...... Looked like fun to me, but I'm pretty sure I could do the same thing with a piece of plywood and polyrope for like $10. ......
That's exactly what my brothers and I did back in the seventies! We had a couple handles to hang on to that would angle the board down really fast and get deep fast....clearing the ears was a little tricky.But, it was a blast!