flooded my Sierra today ...

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

flooded my Sierra today ...

Post by Grateful Diver »

I was diving with a few friends this evening ... doing our weekly Thursday night scooter dive. Gearing up, doing our final checks, I looked down and noticed a stream of bubbles coming out of my scooter. A quick check revealed about three inches of extruded o-ring ... an obvious operator error on my part. I quickly exited the water and headed back to the parking lot ... scooter in hand, and visions of an expensive repair bill about to take place. Back at the car, I opened the scoot and dumped about two or three cups of water out ... this isn't looking good. Sounder asked "Do you want me to call Ray?" It's 5:30 ... he ain't gonna be there ... but, in fact, he was.

"Ray ... what do I do now?" He asked me how wet the motor was ... not much at all. Towel out the inside of the tube and pull the battery. Any water down inside? Nope.

"So Ray ... what do I need to do?"

He told me I needed to put it back together and go diving ... and so I did ... and it ran like a champ ... :supz:

Thanks guys ... for building a great product. And thanks, Ray ... for being there when I really needed you ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Last edited by Grateful Diver on Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: flooded my Sierra today ...

Post by Tom Nic »

Nice!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
seainggreen
Dive-aholic

Post by seainggreen »

Ray and Ben are truly stand-up guys. While this story should surprise me, knowing them, it actually does not. They're just all-around good people.

Awesome news about the scoot and that you could hop right back in and go diving!

laurynn
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln, 1809 - 1865
Seainggreen Productions, LLC
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

:joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith:

Scooters good, saltwater in scooters BAD! Lucky you noticed it and got it repaired before it flooded completely

Ya for great service, There ain't much of that around now days.
ldevore
Compulsive Diver

Post by ldevore »

Glad you missed the bullet on that one!

Agreed!!! Three cheers for Ray. He has been nothing but fantastic everytime I've gone to them for help. A great company that looks after their customers.

Lauri
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

yeah Dusty.... Scooter is good, Salt water in ANY OTHER scooter is BAD... Salt water in Sierra..... not typically to devastating so long as its a quick dowsing and don't get behind the battery!!! YAY!!!!
They said you could flood them, flush them out, dry them and all should be good as long as the bulkhead holds.
Glad it was just that simple for you Bob. It's a great scooter huh?
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Marc
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Marc »

Waynne Fowler wrote:yeah Dusty.... Scooter is good, Salt water in ANY OTHER scooter is BAD...
Partially true. My SS has a sealed battery and motor. I am hoping not to test the integrity of either seal.
Reporter: "The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?"

Raikkonen: "It protects my head."
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Yes Blitz but your motor is not a brushless motor if I'm not mistaken...
if a sierra floods you can rinse it, dry it and it'll probably work... if not then you can rebuild it at home for very little $ and a rather small investment of time. Assuming the battery bulkhead doesn't fail too!
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Marc
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Marc »

Not arguing that.

Marc
Reporter: "The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?"

Raikkonen: "It protects my head."
Raydar
Dive-aholic

Post by Raydar »

Like I had a choice! Y'all called me on my cell phone! :D

Happy to help. Glad you got the dive in. Keep an eye on things and if anything looks hinky, just shout.
Purveyor of crack ;)
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Raydar wrote:Like I had a choice! Y'all called me on my cell phone! :D

Happy to help. Glad you got the dive in. Keep an eye on things and if anything looks hinky, just shout.
:partydance: :taco: :notworthy:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Mmmmmmm! More Scooter Crack talk.
Glad all worked out for you, Bob!

Some Day...

I'll give in to the Scooter drug too!
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

What a kickass story!

Those guys up at Dive Xtras are the shizzle!
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

looks like you need to post your cell phone number here Ray.. a president has been set and now you need to uphold it :luv:

"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

kdupreez wrote:looks like you need to post your cell phone number here Ray.. a president has been set and now you need to uphold it :luv:

Yes, Mr. President - give up the digits mang!
Raydar
Dive-aholic

Post by Raydar »

kdupreez wrote:looks like you need to post your cell phone number here Ray.. a president has been set and now you need to uphold it :luv:

Nice try.

But I think Marcoux has been scribbling it on bathroom walls. Why don't you start calling those until you reach me?

:rofl:
Purveyor of crack ;)
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Raydar wrote:

Nice try.

But I think Marcoux has been scribbling it on bathroom walls. Why don't you start calling those until you reach me?

:rofl:
It's true. I have been putting it up on bathroom walls... right under the <oops, family site> advertising. If you look at the one above the toilet in the C2 bathroom, you'll see it. It's NOT the one under "Call Ray for a <damn, did it again>," that one is a joke.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!