dry suit valve problems

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Archer
Just Settling In

dry suit valve problems

Post by Archer »

I recently bought a used Harvey shell suit. The suit was nearly new. After 6 dives it consistently has problems releasing air during assent. It will dump air when pressure is high but will not release all the air and never very fast. When I reach about 30ft it starts to be a problem. ave managed it so far but it is clearly not right. Last dive I got a little frustrated and peeled back my wrist seal and dumped. I was amaized how much air was still in that one arm.
I have removed and cleaned the valve but nothing really seems out of orderd. The only thing I can think of is the backflow valve seems stiff. I removed and cleaned it, looks fine. But when I disasemble and blow air through the backflow valve only it maybe seems to need some pressure to push the air out. Could this valve be somehow the problem? It is a little hard to belive that this valve could really hold back the bubble but I am not seeing another solution. Anyone have an idea???

When I retired my Gates suit I wish I had kept the valves. Seems I only throw away the things I will need later. I have a house full of similar stuff I will probably never use :tomnic:
Archer
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Re: dry suit valve problems

Post by Waynne Fowler »

The previous owner may have stretched the spring and may have stretched it too far making it too stiff?

You may be obstructing the vent area inside the suit with your undergarment?

If the valve has a filter cloth on the back piece, it may be dirty and limiting the amount of air that can flow?

If the suit is too big in the upper torso and/arm the air may not be setting in the proper place to vent out?

Or you may have been in contact with James and Jeff, The alien may be possessing you also and this may all be a ruse simply to get another person close enough for your 'invader' to infect yet another human, furthering their plan at world domination.
I suggest we all proceed with caution and extreme prejudice.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
DFessler
Avid Diver

Re: dry suit valve problems

Post by DFessler »

Since I am unaware of your background I will throw out a few ideas that should be checked, some basic some more technical.

First, make sure the valve is open all of the way. Second if your valve is on the shoulder are you holding your arm straight? If so try bending your arm at the elbow as if you were putting your fist on your chest. That way air doesn't pass the valve up into your wrist. Then tilt the shoulder making the valve high point of your body. If your valve is on the wrist make sure you get that higher than the rest of your body as well.

Check the inside of the exhaust valve. There should be some sort of cover that will prevent your undergarment from being sucked up into the exhaust hole. If not it may have fallen off or had been removed at some point.
David Fessler
PADI Master Instructor

"Live Life One Foot At A Time"