casio-ex-z1000 with ewc-80-housing

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

casio-ex-z1000 with ewc-80-housing

Post by enchantmentdivi »

I know a bunch of you have this camera/housing set-up and really like it. I'm really considering purchasing this set-up after years of standing firm to the belief that I don't like to take UW photos. (don't ask...)

Are you using a strobe? Or just the built-in flash?

Thanks,
Jenn
jeff98208
Aquanaut

Post by jeff98208 »

i try to use the external strobe, however, at times i find my dive light or the built in flash gives me that shot i want at that time.
TAKE only pictures, KILL only time, LEAVE only bubbles!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I bought one for Cheng for Christmas. I've been so impressed by her pictures that I just this morning ordered another one for myself. She doesn't use an external strobe at all ... just the built-in flash.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Good news! I'll be buying one in the next couple of months!

Calvin should get a commission! :supz:
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Tom Nic wrote: Calvin should get a commission! :supz:
No kidding! I got mine a couple of weeks ago based in large part to Calvin's recommendation and photo examples. Although I haven't had an opportunity to use it underwater yet (work is REALLY interferring with my diving right now) I've liked the surface photos I've taken so far. Can't wait to get it wet-I mean underwater-hopefully no more flooded cameras for awhile.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Pescadero
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Pescadero »

Having not seen the housing, I have a question.

Is it a big deal to use the built in flash for a while and purchase a strobe later? I mean, is it easy to add/hook up the strobe? Maybe even take it on and off depending on the need?

I envision some travel, involving bright clear water, not requiring a strobe and sans strobe would be easier to travel with. Then, here in the PNW probably wanting the strobe most of the time.

Thanks,

Skip
The cure for almost everything is salt water. . . . . .
sweat, tears, or the sea !!
-Isak Dinesen
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

I just clicked on "place your order" on amazon.com. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! New toy! :axe: :partyman: :vom: =D> #-o :bootyshake:
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

My regular dive buddy AKA Fishstiq (Just joined but hasnt yet introduced himself) just recieved his new Camera and is waiting the arrival of the housing. I am also intersted in this setup as it will cost far less than a housing for my Canon Powershot S3 IS. I also like the HUGE screen on the Casio. These cameras are way cool, and about the size of a credit card!! Yeah, Calvin thanks to your excellent reviews, Casio should be kicking some bennies your way for sure. Sounds like you have a few Northwest divers sold on this system.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Hah! I'm honored to actually have readers of my reviews, and I do think it is a good setup for the money. I'm looking forward to seeing some of your shots! =D>
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I got a Casio Exlim Z60 for Christmas, was planning on getting a housing for it at a later date and found out there is not one available for th Z60 6.0 megapixle. but there is one for the Z600 6.0 megapixle , which is what I originally requested. wallmart sold the Z60 to my wife telling her there was no difference between Z60 and Z600.

Still trying to fix this situation.

I hope wallmart is willing to work with me on this.
Last edited by BASSMAN on Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I refuse to get a bigger & better camera... then I have even less of an excuse for my bad pictures! #-o
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Camera

Post by Scubak »

OK....
Been debating for a long time on getting this "compact" setup...
Just ordered it...
Can't wait....
Bob..how do you like yours so far?
K
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Re: Camera

Post by Grateful Diver »

Scubak wrote:OK....
Been debating for a long time on getting this "compact" setup...
Just ordered it...
Can't wait....
Bob..how do you like yours so far?
K
So far I haven't had a chance to use it ... hope to rectify that situation sometime this week ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Got a chance to use mine for the first time Wednesday. Got some good photos. If I ever get a chance to download them, I'll try to post some.
Georgia

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

We want to see! :bounce: We want to see! :bounce:

The Casio club is going to be a big one!!
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

The big brown truck just pulled away from my house and left me a nice, new, non leaking housing for my new casio camera! :partyman:
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
TCarter
Avid Diver

Post by TCarter »

Pescadero wrote:Having not seen the housing, I have a question.

Is it a big deal to use the built in flash for a while and purchase a strobe later? I mean, is it easy to add/hook up the strobe? Maybe even take it on and off depending on the need?

I envision some travel, involving bright clear water, not requiring a strobe and sans strobe would be easier to travel with. Then, here in the PNW probably wanting the strobe most of the time.

Thanks,

Skip
Did you get an answer to this question?
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I'd appreciate some discussion of this question as well... I'm taking off for the Red Sea in July, will probably purchase this camera in the next month or so, and want to have it "dialed in" by my trip. I'm also trying to decide whether or not to spend my limited trip bucks on a strobe at this time or not.
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

Terry, hi!

I don't have that camera/housing set-up, but I have seen Calvin's housing. Yes, it does have a mount on the bottom where a strobe base can be attached. Calvin does't use an external strobe.

I use my strobes whether here in the PNW, or in crystal blue water with unlimited visibility. In the PNW, external strobe(s) reduce the backscatter effect, besides reduce shadows. In the crystal clear blue water, the strobes reduce the shadows, and help bring out the colors

Rich
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I've had strobes in the past, but I currently get along just fine without one. The Casio has a great internal flash.

imho, a strobe adds the most value when you're already somewhat experienced with the operation of the camera and when you've developed some skill with lighting in general. Strobes can more easily ruin photos than help them, without a significant amount of practice. I *might* bring one on a dive vacation to clear water, but I'd be careful not to do all my experimentation there, coming home with a bunch of overexposed photos of my priceless vacation.

IF I had to choose between learning to shoot well w/ a strobe vs. developing good skill at using manual whitebalance control (and it is a choice, because you don't use both at the same time), I'd choose WB, though of course you'll do the best if you have both skill sets.

Bottom line, you'll have plenty to occupy yourself with and to learn with just the camera/housing itself and there'll always be time to get a strobe. You will also come back with great photos w/o a strobe. But, if you have the $$ and plenty of dives to learn during, then the strobe can enhance your photography significantly, with practice.

One last thing, I've mentioned this on another thread but I want to remind those of you looking to buy this setup: there is a new(er) version of the camera (Z-1050) and housing (EWC-90) that is *just* becoming available now. The differences aren't worth an upgrade but if you're going to be buying the set in the next several months it might make sense to consider the few benefits vs. additional cost of the newer system. Both are terrific though, so you can't really go wrong either way.
TCarter
Avid Diver

Post by TCarter »

Thanks for posting the strobe info guys. I just returned from Cozumel (my first warm water diving), and now I'm seriously considering getting a camera.

Rich, your Coz trip report was right on the money. To me it seemed like swimming in a tropical aquarium. The quantity, variety and color of life was just amazing. And the visibility...floating on the surface, watching stingrays cruising along the bottom 80' below, was like looking through air.

I'm already thinking about going back.

Terry
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Terry, feel free to add your thoughts or post a short trip report on this blog entry I just wrote about the current conditions down in Cozumel:

http://www.calvintang.com/blog/2007/03/ ... pdate-2007

You'll be doing other divers who are planning a vacation a big favor! =D>
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I'm also heading to Coz in two weeks ... this will be my first trip down there.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

Apparently it is THE time to go back to Cozumel. I'm going back the second week of April with BblMkr. We are diving Cozumel only one day, but a three-tanker. We also have Belize, Roatan, and Costa Masa. Belize may be a non-diving stop. Not sure yet. Swimming in an aquarium is fun!

Rich
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

WylerBear wrote:Got a chance to use mine for the first time Wednesday. Got some good photos. If I ever get a chance to download them, I'll try to post some.

OK, we'll see if this works. These were all taken the first couple of times I used my new Casio. I did better with my shots yesterday but don't have access to those pictures on my work computer yet. Will have to do them from home.
Georgia