Patos Island - Puget Sound King Crab

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Patos Island - Puget Sound King Crab

Post by Tom Nic »

Sounder and I joined Seaslave for a wild and wonderful dive at Patos Island. Thanks Mathue! :prayer:

They will chime in with details, but I just wanted to get the thread started!

My day started at 4 AM as I headed for Bellevue to rendevouz with Doug. After a quick bite for breakfast we arrived in Blaine at 8:30 AM and loaded the boat and launched. Seas were jumpin' with the wind and tide and we made our way slowly, bouncing along for the 9 mile trip to Patos. We arrived, and in somewhat rough water set two anchors and dropped down the anchor line to the wall.

Viz was only 10 - 15 ft, though it did improve as we went deeper. The wall is fairly steep, and made up of jumbled boulders and small sand flats. There are urchins and life everywhere, and more hidey holes for life than you could explore in 100 dives. Our max depth was maybe 80 fsw, with the majority of our time spent at 40 - 60 fsw.

But unquestionably, the star of this dive is the Puget Sound King Crab! Here is a smallish one (4-5 in. carapace) clinging to a boulder on the wall.

These crab are SO beautiful! We easily saw 30 of them in a 40 minute dive, and we are sure that there are LOTS more that we did not see. (Camouflage, and the fact that everywhere we went on the wall we found crab!) We were amazed by the sheer quantity, and their size! They ranged from beautiful little juveniles,
To grizzled, old barnacle-encrusted monsters bigger than a basketball!
Closer View.
Still closer!

There are two crabs in the picture below. I can't figure out why some are barnacle encrusted and some are not?

The colors on them are amazing! I can hardly wait to go back!

When we hit the surface we discovered that our relatively "calm" (which I thought was rough!) water now had 4 and 5 ft waves heading for the rocks! The front anchor broke loose as soon as Mathue was in the boat and we had an adrenaline churning time swimming out from the rocks, being towed some on a line, and finally pulling ourselves into the boat out of the roughest seas we ever dove in! :toimonster: We did well, though it was hairy out there for awhile! We decided that in that rough weather one dive was plenty, so we thumbed the second one and headed back in. All in all, a fantastic dive! What a privilege to see all those Puget Sound King Crab! Oh... not to mention the huge lings, eggs, my first gumboot chiton, etc. etc. :supz:

And finally, here's a link to the rest of the pics I took. http://www.flickr.com/photos/82311222@N ... 547842708/ Thanks for letting me share!

I look forward to doing this again on a nicer day! Thanks again, Mathue and Doug, for a tremendous dive!
Last edited by Tom Nic on Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seaslave
Compulsive Diver

Post by Seaslave »

I think Tom summed it up better than I ever could. Amazing how fast weather can change on you. It's all part ofthe adventure though. Stiil had a great dive and the sun did peak out on us a little \:D/

Toms pictures turned out better than mine also, imagine that. Here's a link to a few of them: http://www.flickr.com/photos/56805380@N ... 547781115/

It was a pleasure sharing one of my favorite dive sites with you guys, thanks Doug and Tom. I look forward to diving with you guys again soon. Hopefully under better weather conditions.

Mathue
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

You both got some great shots! What a neat thing that must have been to see SO many PS King Crabs in one dive! I usually count myself lucky if I see ONE of them in a dive. The juvies are so funny looking!

And I too love the colors of the adults.

Hey Tom, you got Fringed Tube Worms to add to your repertoire too, in case you didn't realize it! You've got some shots of them in your photos!

Thanks for the report and photos!

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

All that Reading about how tasty the Puget Sound king Crab are(in a prievious post), made me hungry looking at those pictures!

Great pics Guys! Hope I get to get in on some of that Patos Island action some day.

Looks you guys had a good dive! :supz:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Looks like you guys had a FANTASTIC dive! I can just SEE Tom's eyes bugging out at the sight of so many Puget Sound King Crabs!

They truly are not as rare as people think. That perception has come from the fact that they are rarely seen by divers, but the explanation is simple - they only hang out in specific habitats (steep, deep, rocky and current swept) and will only come up into shallow water to molt and mate during certain months of the year. January through March is the best time to find them.

Tom - the reason that some of the crabs are covered with barnacles and others are not is probably because the ones without barnacles have recently molted. Within a few months they will be as barnacle-covered as their brethren.

PSKCs are definitely in my list of favorite critters.....I'm definitely envious of your dive!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

John Rawlings wrote:Looks like you guys had a FANTASTIC dive! I can just SEE Tom's eyes bugging out at the sight of so many Puget Sound King Crabs!

They truly are not as rare as people think. That perception has come from the fact that they are rarely seen by divers, but the explanation is simple - they only hang out in specific habitats (steep, deep, rocky and current swept) and will only come up into shallow water to molt and mate during certain months of the year. January through March is the best time to find them.

Tom - the reason that some of the crabs are covered with barnacles and others are not is probably because the ones without barnacles have recently molted. Within a few months they will be as barnacle-covered as their brethren.

PSKCs are definitely in my list of favorite critters.....I'm definitely envious of your dive!

- John
Yes, my eyes were bugging! :smt119 And loving every minute of it!

Ah... THAT makes sense! They really don't move much, so I can see how barnacles would quickly grow on them! This site fits your description of deep, steep, and current swept! :pale: We were probably pushing it a bit for this dive weather wise. In hindsight I don't think I'd have done this dive in the weather we started out in, and then it got worse! :toimonster: (I actually could have used one of the toilet monsters in the emoticon to get me out of the water!) Mathue's knowledge of the site helped us find the sheltered part of the wall to dive. We did deal some with current but it was manageable. Definitely not a beginner dive! This definitely seems the time to see them. Mathue said that there were more of them shallow than he has ever seen on a dive. He mentioned that he has seen them in September here as well, so I guess they will move to diveable depths other times of the year.

All in all, a great site, fantastic dive! I would hasten to add that this dive is not one to do casually. It can turn hairy in a second....
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Thanks John - the molting explaination makes perfect sense. Some of these crabs were literally as wide as my shoulders!!! HUGE!!! Then there was the cluster of basket-ball sized PSKCs that started raining down on me while I took pictures of one of the many "big daddys." That was an interesting experience.

I WILL be back! Mathue was a fantastic host and an excellent captain. Tom forgot to mention the fact that we got buzzed by the Department of Homeland Security on the way home!!! The huge maroon and gold helicopter approached us and then paced us for a few minutes... I waved and Tom waved, but they didn't wave back. After while they headed off.

A conservative estimate of PSKCs is 30-40, and I saw 4 lingcod nests (one of which had a HUGE babysitter).

All in all it was an amazing time and I can't wait to return. I would easily spend 100 dives in this location and never get bored. I'll post video when I put it together.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Pringster
Avid Diver

Post by Pringster »

You getting to be quite a shutterbug, Tom! I really enjoyed those pics. Thank you.
Wish it were legal to harvest those critters...my wife and girls would have a feast on them....However, I would be turf end of the surf and turf!!!

I'm bummed-out as my Canon housing leaked again on my last dive with Bill and Debbie. I'm investigating the A640 or G7 with the Ikelite housing. I gotta have something compatible with the Inon D2000-Wn strobe. I sure wish they didn't drop the RAW output capability as my old G2 has it, but alas, no housing available for it. :angryfire:

Brian
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Tom Nic wrote: This definitely seems the time to see them. Mathue said that there were more of them shallow than he has ever seen on a dive. He mentioned that he has seen them in September here as well, so I guess they will move to diveable depths other times of the year.
As with all living things, there are no real hard and fast "rules" that absolutely MUST be followed and individuals can occasionally be spotted in locations and depths that are not their "normal" habitat. Juveniles can be found wherever their planktonic travels take them, (remember, GD saw one recently at Keystone).

Did you guys take a close look at the difference between their left and right claws? Pretty fascinating difference between the two.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

John Rawlings wrote:Did you guys take a close look at the difference between their left and right claws? Pretty fascinating difference between the two.
- John
Yes, it really is! Though I wouldn't want to get caught by either of them! You have amazing tools for cutting or crushing.
Sounder wrote:Tom forgot to mention the fact that we got buzzed by the Department of Homeland Security on the way home!!! The huge maroon and gold helicopter approached us and then paced us for a few minutes... I waved and Tom waved, but they didn't wave back. After while they headed off.
It was very strange! We are running with the wind in rough seas that are going every which way because of the current and tides, and we hear a rumble coming up behind us, look up and there is a chopper giving us the once over a few hundred feet above the waves! Crazy!?! I guess they wondered just what in the world anyone would be doing in the middle of the straights in an open boat with crummy weather? Fishing? No Way! Sightseeing? Don't think so! Drug running or human smuggling? That's got to be it! I don't think divers were "on their radar"! :rr:
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

That place looks incredible. I have seen a few PS King Crab before, but never that many all together. Great photos Tom! Hey Sounder, did you get some video???
Tom Nic wrote:It was very strange! We are running with the wind in rough seas that are going every which way because of the current and tides, and we hear a rumble coming up behind us, look up and there is a chopper giving us the once over a few hundred feet above the waves! Crazy!?! I guess they wondered just what in the world anyone would be doing in the middle of the straights in an open boat with crummy weather? Fishing? No Way! Sightseeing? Don't think so! Drug running or human smuggling? That's got to be it! I don't think divers were "on their radar"! :rr:
They knew Sounder was on the boat. :salute:
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

I was going to ask you guys if you had the experience of having crabs 'rain down' on top of you!! That's always fun. I always think it's looking like they're committing suicide the way they leap off into the abyss!

I have had a few land ON TOP of me occasionally - now THAT'S an interesting experience....

Janna Nichols
><((((°>
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

nwscubamom wrote:I was going to ask you guys if you had the experience of having crabs 'rain down' on top of you!! That's always fun. I always think it's looking like they're committing suicide the way they leap off into the abyss!

I have had a few land ON TOP of me occasionally - now THAT'S an interesting experience....

I'm SO glad you mentioned that! I thought I was going nuts! I was moving into take a close up of a particularly beefy guy when all of a sudden a half dozen mid sized crab come raining down on me! They like the vertical walls, and some of the large rocks tilt in to where they can be on the rock face above you. When they are disturbed they "let go" and come drifting down. Really weird when you're concentrating on taking a picture and crabs start landing on you! First you look for your buddies and wonder who's trying to mess with you, then you see others on the wall / rock above you and realize where they came from!

If you'll notice the first picture in this post, the crab is hanging upside down on a rock face. I'm sure that when threatened they just "let go"!

I would conjecture that it is a normal defensive reaction. If they let go and drift deep when attacked then whatever predator is going after then would only get one or two. Deeper could certainly be safer and is where they "normally" are. They are sometimes in groups, so if they do it all at once it can be "raining" Puget Sound King Crab if you are under a ledge or wall photographing or whatever.
Last edited by Tom Nic on Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

nwscubamom wrote:I was going to ask you guys if you had the experience of having crabs 'rain down' on top of you!! That's always fun. I always think it's looking like they're committing suicide the way they leap off into the abyss!

Janna, that brings up a thought about a dive Cheng and I did last year at Sekiu Jetty ... toward the end of the dive we had tiny little "crablings" raining down on us from the surface.

Do crabs go through a larval stage, like octopus do? There were thousands of these things ... once they landed, they literally covered the bottom. They were too tiny to even bother trying to photograph ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I had 6-8 football-sized PSKCs "rain" down on me too... looked up for Mathue dropping them and he was way off to my left - then one landed on my mask... weird. They were falling upside-down and landing on their "backs" too - I felt bad so I righted them before we left.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Pinkpadigal wrote:They knew Sounder was on the boat. :salute:
Busted. #-o
divernick
Aquaphile

Post by divernick »

You've got some awesome pictures there Tom, thanks for sharing. Looks like a cool dive, hopefully someday I can get up there too.

Nick
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Sounder wrote:I had 6-8 football-sized PSKCs "rain" down on me too... looked up for Mathue dropping them and he was way off to my left - then one landed on my mask... weird. They were falling upside-down and landing on their "backs" too - I felt bad so I righted them before we left.
YES!!! We were diving at the base of a big wall in October north of Nanaimo, and came across this PSKC on his back at the base of the wall. I wondered if it was able to right itself? Or if it was dying upside down or what? Anyway, I righted it!

Janna Nichols
><((((°>
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Grateful Diver wrote:

Janna, that brings up a thought about a dive Cheng and I did last year at Sekiu Jetty ... toward the end of the dive we had tiny little "crablings" raining down on us from the surface.

Do crabs go through a larval stage, like octopus do? There were thousands of these things ... once they landed, they literally covered the bottom. They were too tiny to even bother trying to photograph ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Absolutely! In fact, lucky photographers have caught images of these little teensy crabs hitching rides on the top of jellyfish bells!

Janna Nichols
><((((°>
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Reminds me of the joke:

Q: What did the snail say when it was sitting on top of the turtle?

A: Weeeeeeeee!

Sorry, I had to. #-o
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

nwscubamom wrote:
Sounder wrote:I had 6-8 football-sized PSKCs "rain" down on me too... looked up for Mathue dropping them and he was way off to my left - then one landed on my mask... weird. They were falling upside-down and landing on their "backs" too - I felt bad so I righted them before we left.
YES!!! We were diving at the base of a big wall in October north of Nanaimo, and came across this PSKC on his back at the base of the wall. I wondered if it was able to right itself? Or if it was dying upside down or what? Anyway, I righted it!

We can form a sub chapter of PETA, Divers for the Righting of Upsidedown Puget Sound King Crab, or DRUPSKC. :rr: Must save the floundering King Crab! :bounce:
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

Hey Tom,

Do you want me to get in touch with Igrid Newkirk for you?. I bet PETA would put some money behind it.. Lord knows they have enough of mine.

;)

Holly
"Well I, I wont go down by myself, but I'll go down with my friends!"
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Yes! All we need is grant money and we'll go right the PSKCs full time! It'll become my new mission in life.... talk about a dream job! \:D/
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

GillyWeed wrote:Hey Tom,

Do you want me to get in touch with Igrid Newkirk for you?. I bet PETA would put some money behind it.. Lord knows they have enough of mine.

;)

Holly
Money? :bounce: Did someone say money? :bounce: Scuba units to save the floundering PSKC! :-) More diving for everyone! :supz: Oh Yeah!