Best Sunscreen for Divers? - NHZ

General banter about diving and why we love it.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

I am looking for advice on sunscreen. I want something that will last a long time, and that I won't have to re-apply (or at least not very often) when I'm doing a couple dives each day.

The tricky thing is that when applying it to your forehead, and then putting on your mask, sometimes the stuff will get in your eyes inside your mask on your dive and sting like crazy. So do you just not apply to your forehead?

What do you use that's sweatproof and waterproof and doesn't sting your eyes?

- Janna
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Re: Best Sunscreen for Divers? - NHZ

Post by fmerkel »

Don't think there is such a substance. They do claim to be 'waterproof/sweatproof' in one sentence and then advise re-applying after swimming or bathing.
If it WOULD stay on for an entire dive I don't think you would actually want to put it on your body.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Magoi
Dive-aholic

Post by Magoi »

We were in Roatan a couple weeks ago and used Tropical Sands, made by Mexitan Products. We picked it up at the Dive Expo. It's supposed to be reef friendly and biodegradable, but it does contain titanium dioxide, which is not biodegradable. We only applied it about once a day. I put it on my nose and around my eyes as well as forehead - no stinging at all.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

Hi Janna,

We've found Aloe Gator waterproof sunscreen to be the longest lasting for feet, ears, neck, nose, etc. in the tropics. Put it on in the morning and it seems to survive a couple of dives. I usually burn really easily and it works for me in Mexico.

If you want something completely greaseless for your face that will not fog your mask ever, Bullfrog makes an alcohol based waterproof sunscreen that I used to use on my hands for waterski tournaments. Greasy sunscreens were a serious problem while trying to maintain a grip on the handle in a slalom course. We always have a bottle of BullFrog in our tournament boat.

YMMV,
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Will any of these cause damage to latex seals if it's on your hands when you don or doff your drysuit?

- Janna
Janna Nichols
><((((°>
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Scott already mentioned it, but something that doesn't fog your mask is VERY helpful :)

My dive buddy who taught out of USVI for a few years recommended wearing hat, shirt pre-diving and then slathering up on whatever (I use the coppertone waterbabies stuff in the pink bottle) post diving (when out on the boat)... She said too many people put stake in "waterproof" stuff and that it all just goes away after a salty dive and folks don't re-apply, thinking they are 'safe' and get scorched to high heaven. Anyhow, that was her recommendation when we were in MAUI and i came home with no burns so it seemed to work :) YMMV

I used the waterbabies stuff climbing too, and also in Kenya and have managed to survive without sunburn in some pretty intense sun. its been the best for me for staying put and not stinging or causing an acne breakout etc...
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

boydski wrote:We've found Aloe Gator waterproof sunscreen to be the longest lasting for feet, ears, neck, nose, etc. in the tropics. Put it on in the morning and it seems to survive a couple of dives. I usually burn really easily and it works for me in Mexico.
+1. i've used the Aloe Gator Gel on many vacations and it protects really well, doesn't need to be applied often, and i've never had any problems with my mask.
Magoi
Dive-aholic

Post by Magoi »

The Tropical Sands does not appear to contain any chemicals that would attack latex. Most of the stuff in in could be (and is) eaten. My wife and I did not get any sunburn, but we were beneath a canopy on the boat when diving. It relies solely on TiO2 for sunscreen. SPF30. We also found the REI sunscreen worked very well when we take kayak trips in Baja (swimming and snorkeling too). The REI stuff is not reef friendly and no knowledge of effects on latex.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Might have to do a bit of searching but if memory serves the Honolulu paper in January of 2010 did quite a spread on sunscreen. As a class project some students, under faculty supervision, examined many different sunscreen products. They looked at two main things, Actual SPF vs. Claimed SPF and Durability. It might be worth the effort to find the article. Summary: Regardless of labled claim the best SPF one can hope for is SPF 8 and all wear off in a few minutes of sea water exposure.

Personally, I wear Nutrogena. Generally in a spray bottle. I find in a week of daily diving in the morning and swimming in the afternoon it I reapply after each dive and every hour or so when swimming I suffer no visible skin damage and no eye irritation, even in Hawaii. I mostly take the additional precaution of limiting sun exposure during the peak sun intensity times.

I have noticed no adverse effects on any of my kit.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Warm water diving, full sun we'd lather up in the am and take a bottle with us. In between dives we'd add a bit to vulnerable areas - back of neck, back of knees. I stopped putting sunscreeen on my face after a couple of VERY unpleasant dives. I wear a hat with a wide floppy brim and maybe put a bit on my nose or cheeks, NEVER my forehead or above my eyes.

Brands weren't as much of an issue - find one you like.

I've never dove where it was sunny in a drysuit where we didn't have a covered boat.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

nwscubamom wrote:Will any of these cause damage to latex seals if it's on your hands when you don or doff your drysuit?

- Janna
I watched a latex neck seal disintegrate before my very eyes because of sunscreen. Didn't take long. Be careful!!!
Jenn
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I use the neutrogena spray sunblock. Easy to reapply. There's a lotion version that's good for the face. I keep it away from my eyes and use shades to cover that area so that it doesn't get in my eyes underwater. I use a high quality sunblock for my new Achilles scar - contains zinc.
-Aaron-
Dive-aholic

Post by -Aaron- »

Another vote for the Aloe Gator Gel (http://www.rei.com/webservices/rei/Disp ... erralID=NA). Its like spreading a glue stick on your skin when you put it on, but it is the only sunscreen I have found that seems to hold up fairly well in the water. I've gotten away with one application a day snorkeling in Mexico and I am pretty sun sensitive. It will make your skin a bit sticky and tacky and as far as I know its not in the bio-degradable "reef safe" category. I also always have a wide brim hat and a few breathable sun resistant long sleeve button up shirts around when I'm in the tropics. When necessary it is always nice to be able to roll down the sleeves and get your arms under some cover.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Bull frog is the best..
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

boydski wrote:YMMV,
ljjames wrote: :) YMMV
Okay, so what is YMMV?
Your Mileage May Vary?
Your Method May Vary?

:dontknow:

I'm not a texter and Google did not help much
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Right with your first guess, and since Janna requested this be a No Hijacking Zone I'll stop thee. :)
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Great advice everyone - nice to know what works and why. I did some digging and also found the article mentioned above:
http://www.staradvertiser.com/features/ ... creen.html

- Janna
Janna Nichols
><((((°>
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Sorry I caused you extra digging. I forgot I was there in October. But you found the article so the job got done.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.