Fatality at Edmonds Underwater Park

General banter about diving and why we love it.
lamont
I've Got Gills

Fatality at Edmonds Underwater Park

Post by lamont »

Yeah, this is another fatality today, separate incident:

http://myedmondsnews.com/2011/05/son-un ... -saturday/
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Fatality at Edmonds Underwater Park

Post by Norris »

Very Sad indeed...
Be careful out there everybody. So much for EUP being a benign dive site. I am very sorry to hear of this.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Man. 2 in one day. That's terrible.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

sad to hear that. 2 separate fatalities in one day has to be a first...
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I'm told both were father/son teams and the father died in both. For dads like me who have sons they look forward to diving with someday, it's rather rattling.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

That is so right! As parents, we are supposed to bestow and pass down our hobbies/interests to our kids or loved ones. My 16 year old daughter is about to take her SCUBA lessons in about three weeks. I hope this doesn't dampen her spirit. On the other hand, my 21 year old son is not totally comitted on diving yet. I hope this incident does not really kill his spirit. My heart goes to the families involved and also to their friends. This is a big blow to the brotherhood of SCUBA divers.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

My heart goes out to the families. So, so sad.
Kelly
jaytrigg27
Avid Diver

Post by jaytrigg27 »

So sad, all please be safe out there!
Dive Monkey
Aquaphile

Post by Dive Monkey »

spatman wrote:sad to hear that. 2 separate fatalities in one day has to be a first...
Nope not a first. Jan 3 2010. One of those also involved Edmonds. Hart felt thoughts and prayers to the family's
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Yes Both Edmonds and cove 2 have a rep as benign and are close in to large populations thus have a concentration of less experienced divers and dive classes. This is a recipe for trouble and the stats concur. Add to that the fact that Edmonds is NOT totally benign and I am surprised it doesn't have more accidents. It is a very long swim which stresses divers before they even start the dive and can have substantial current on large exchanges generally pushing divers toward the ferry added to the long swim back and you get exhausted divers. It's no wonder that there are allot of health related accidents there. We need to get away from the tendency to tell divers that Edmonds is an easy dive. Yes it can be if planned properly but for newer less experienced or physically less well conditioned divers it can kill. It nearly got me early on and I have never forgotten.

My heart goes out to the survivors who bear the brunt of these accidents. Both the divers that were there. Who must live with it from that day on and the families who suffer an agonizing and painful loss of a loved one.

Lets all be mindful of the risks we take and doubly so of the info we give to other divers who might be less experienced. It is always better to discourage someone from diving a site than to read about them in the headlines.

Dive safe guys!
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Edmonds News post with more details and name.

Notably they mention that the family is trying to locate a camera that was lost on the fatal dive.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

Sounder wrote:I'm told both were father/son teams and the father died in both. For dads like me who have sons they look forward to diving with someday, it's rather rattling.
i believe the DUI Dog Days fatality at Dutch Springs the same day was also a father/son team, but with the son being the fatality...