Adive on the big computer purchase (size advice only)

General topics about technical diving.
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Adive on the big computer purchase (size advice only)

Post by pensacoladiver »

My trusty old UWATEC is finally crapping out on me and I have decided to bite the bullet and buy one of three possibilities for my next computer.

1. Shearwater Predator
2. Liquivision X1
3. VT Tech NHeO3

I have only seen these units pretty much from afar and never worn one. I have certainly read enough about each computer to know the LAST thing I want to do is start a debate about which one is better.

However, I would like any advice from owners about the size of each computer and how it sits on your arm. Are any of them too big/bulky for warm water 3 mil wetsuit diving? I am going to take advanced Nitrox and Deco diving sometime here in the near future and figured since I needed a new computer anyways, might as well spend about the same amount as a decent recreational computer but get one that offers a whole lot more.

Again, I am only looking for advice on fit and feel on the wrist. :joshsmith:
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Adive on the big computer purchase (size advice only)

Post by Joshua Smith »

Can't comment on the other 2, but I'm a huge Predator fan. Plenty of folks using them in warm water. It IS "pack of cigarrettes" sized, but that doesn't bother me at all.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Joshua Smith wrote:Can't comment on the other 2, but I'm a huge Predator fan. Plenty of folks using them in warm water. It IS "pack of cigarrettes" sized, but that doesn't bother me at all.
Thanks. Thats what I am looking for. My UWATEC is the Air Nitrox Z or something like that and it is what I would call "pack of cigarrette" sized also.
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

I haven't actually dived a Predator but I know at least a half a dozen people that do. They seem a lot bigger than a pack of cigarettes to me. Bigger in all 3 of the dimensions by a 1/2 inch? The X1s are definitely 1/2 pack of cigarettes and the Xeo (not quite out yet) a little bit bigger but still in the 1/2 pack range. Personally, I'm probably going to hold out for the Xeo as I'm happy with my Xen.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

The X1 is a very small computer. It's smaller than Peter's Vytec. I can use it with a three mil suit, and my wrists are so small that I have to have watchbands cut down to fit me.

But even though it's small, you can make the numbers of interest quite large (although they're even bigger on the Xen).
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Get another el cheapo gauge, skip the $1,400 OLED computer and get a scooter. Just sayin'...
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

CaptnJack wrote:Get another el cheapo gauge, skip the $1,400 OLED computer and get a scooter. Just sayin'...
Good to hear from you, you crotchety old fart... :neener:

I'll have you know, I have a Sierra with 2 batteries, thank you very much. I am also fighting with myself every day as to whether I want to shell out the cash for either a Cudy Fury or a Magnus. AND that fight has nothing to deal with my decision to buy a new computer. I'm getting a computer regardless. Scooter on the other hand, only time will tell.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

pensacoladiver wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:Get another el cheapo gauge, skip the $1,400 OLED computer and get a scooter. Just sayin'...

I'll have you know, I have a Sierra with 2 batteries, thank you very much. I am also fighting with myself every day as to whether I want to shell out the cash for either a Cudy Fury or a Magnus. AND that fight has nothing to deal with my decision to buy a new computer. I'm getting a computer regardless. Scooter on the other hand, only time will tell.
Joshua Smith likes this
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Joshua Smith wrote:
pensacoladiver wrote:

Joshua Smith likes this
I sure as hell dont get to spend as much time on here as I want/used to.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

pensacoladiver wrote:

See, gettin' old and you need a faster scooter already! :partyman:

You should come back and whoop it up in WA buddy, summer has finally arrived!
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

CaptnJack wrote:You should come back and whoop it up in WA buddy, summer has finally arrived!
Uh, what part of WA are you at today?
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

CaptnJack wrote:
pensacoladiver wrote:

See, gettin' old and you need a faster scooter already! :partyman:

You should come back and whoop it up in WA buddy, summer has finally arrived!
Man I wish I could. I see some posts about Neah Bay and I AM JEALOUS!!!

Some day Amigo, some day.
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

BDub wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:You should come back and whoop it up in WA buddy, summer has finally arrived!
Uh, what part of WA are you at today?
Seattle, WA
53.0 °F Light Rain

Apparently this is the new summer ;-)
trevorrowe
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by trevorrowe »

I love the Seattle summer, the entire week is awesome...
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

trevorrowe wrote:I love the Seattle summer, the entire week is awesome...

Thank you for the sig line.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

pensacoladiver wrote:My trusty old UWATEC is finally crapping out on me and I have decided to bite the bullet and buy one of three possibilities for my next computer.

1. Shearwater Predator
2. Liquivision X1
3. VT Tech NHeO3
I have an X1, a Xen, a test Xeo unit and a Gallileo SOL..

I really like the X1 for its size,function, features and choice of VPM or Bühlmann algorithms and super solid "all aluminum" design.. dual depth sensors (redundancy), super bright very high viewing angle OLED and no buttons to fudge with and I actually like the rechargeable battery idea.

You are VERY welcome to dive them all.. Where do you typically dive? I can meet you some place and give you an X1, Xen and Galileo to try out..

Koos
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

kdupreez wrote:Where do you typically dive? I can meet you some place and give you an X1, Xen and Galileo to try out..
I'm sure PENSACOLAdiver would love a personal demo opportunity. :)
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

CaptnJack wrote:
kdupreez wrote:Where do you typically dive? I can meet you some place and give you an X1, Xen and Galileo to try out..

But, hey, any excuse for me to make a Florida trip :supz:
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

kdupreez wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:

Yah Chad wishes he was still in Oak Harbor near all of us.
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

kdupreez wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:

Thanks for the offer. Yeah I suppose I have been too lazy to change my location on the board. I am in ft lauderdale now. If you wanna let me demo, come on down. I got plenty of room in the house. Free room and board, I have a 25 foot boat that goes out every weekend for all the diving you can handle.

Richard is right. I do wish I was up there with my buddies. The offer above stands for all y'all on NWDC. I just need a few weeks notice so I can arrange my work schedule.
Last edited by pensacoladiver on Fri May 27, 2011 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

You use a dive computer ? Slacker
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

H20doctor wrote:You use a dive computer ? Slacker
Well, I almost didn't use one recently with mine acting up and going back to UWATEC for repairs. Then I remembered Karl left a FULL set of dive gear at my house for his trips to Florida, to INCLUDE an el cheapo dive computer that just happened to work fine for my recent explorations from shore.
It only does air and I pretty much dive nothing but 32 EAN here, but, what the hell, better safe than sorry.

His gear also included a piar of Hollis F-1 Fins that just happen to fit my perfectly. Imagine that. They are getting as good workout.

It is good to have friends in low places. :partyman:

Thanks Karl!!!

When are you coming back down Chris? I got my eyes set on a couple of supposedly AWESOME wrecks in the 160-180 FSW range. And since I know it will take an act of Congress to get you certified to do ANYTHING below 80 FSW, I could use a good boat tender. HAHAHA :smt064
4ster
Dive-aholic

Post by 4ster »

I Dive a Predator on my rEvo. It seems big but the way it wraps around your wrist it really isn't. The screen is large, well laid out and easy to read.
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

4ster wrote:I Dive a Predator on my rEvo. It seems big but the way it wraps around your wrist it really isn't. The screen is large, well laid out and easy to read.
Thanks
Biodiversity_Guy
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Biodiversity_Guy »

Unless you need it right away, have you considered waiting for the Xeo to come out later this summer (replacement for the X1)?