Adive on the big computer purchase (size advice only)

General topics about technical diving.
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Re: Adive on the big computer purchase (size advice only)

Post by Maverick »

pensacoladiver wrote:
4ster wrote:I Dive a Predator on my rEvo. It seems big but the way it wraps around your wrist it really isn't. The screen is large, well laid out and easy to read.
Thanks

I have dived all the computers you mentioned except the XEO. I am going with an X1 in fact I already ordered it, should be in on monday. I went with it for size and also the number of gases you can enter in it, that was very inportant to me to beable to use more than five gases. Its also the easiest to use i feel. One thing i think is stupid but im over it is the fact you have to charge the damn thing. Just one more piece of gear to remember to charge, one more charger to leave in a hotel room, one more thing to leave at home on a trip, one more thing that needs to be F*&%ed with. but i still bought one.
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Well, I decided on the Shearwater. I have about 15 dives on it now and I really like it. The only thing I have to get used to is NOT shining my light on it at night to read it....that's a hard habit to break.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

pensacoladiver wrote:Well, I decided on the Shearwater. I have about 15 dives on it now and I really like it. The only thing I have to get used to is NOT shining my light on it at night to read it....that's a hard habit to break.
More night dives off the boat, Woohoo! Next comes planning for those 160ft range dives! Also, for those long beach night dives you don't need to struggle to shine your light (at your equipment) when I'm towing you back to shore.

I also opened my narrow shallow wallet for a Predator, love the oled for entering wrecks and it gets somewhat dark so just glancing at my screen instead of shining the light or pressing some button or doing a double backwards wedgie surprise. I also think you can change the gas list on the fly, haven't had the opportunity to do this yet. The built in dive planner is pure gold, push in your depth, bottom time, rmv and your full dive plan is pulled up with estimated Cf needed (love this feature) anddddd suggested gas to use (when programmed and active) at each stop.

Size though.....can be annoying...since i have small arms. But I love it.
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

I prefer to just strap a pack of cigarettes to my wrist. It is about the size of a predator but far cheaper and less complicated. I am a little disappointed about the lack of features that pertain to diving though.
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Dashrynn wrote:
pensacoladiver wrote: Well, I decided on the Shearwater. I have about 15 dives on it now and I really like it. The only thing I have to get used to is NOT shining my light on it at night to read it....that's a hard habit to break.
Also, for those long beach night dives you don't need to struggle to shine your light (at your equipment) when I'm towing you back to shore.

Hahaha. I can slove that problem real quick. Lets see, I need another $5500 to own the baddest scooter on the market. I know, I will double the recommended $$$ for "gas chip in" on my boat. I'll have that scooter in no time. :pirate:
Curt McNamee
Dive-aholic

Post by Curt McNamee »

pensacoladiver wrote:Well, I decided on the Shearwater. I have about 15 dives on it now and I really like it. The only thing I have to get used to is NOT shining my light on it at night to read it....that's a hard habit to break.
Great choice :-)
Curt McNamee
rEvo & KISS Classic Diver
http://www.silentscuba.com
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Figured I would post an update on my purchase. I have 60 dives in it in just over 2 months. Not a whole lot to say that hasn't been said elsewhere. I absolutely love it.

When I first used it, my initial impression was "Damn, this thing is big". But after about 10 dives, it is not even noticable, even in a 1 mil wet suit.

I even wear it lobstering, so it is on and off the wrist several times during the dive when I have to stick my hand wayyy back in the hole.

GREAT COMPUTER. Can't believe I didn't get one earlier!