Has anyone dove Fort Worden State Park?

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
E_Mo
Aquaphile

Has anyone dove Fort Worden State Park?

Post by E_Mo »

I am going camping in Ford Worden State Park in August, and was wondering if anyone has dove the park before? I camped up there a couple of years ago with family and we took the kids to the aquarium on the pier and there were camera feeds below the aquarium, so it seems like there would be a fair amount of life in that area...
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Unknown
Blaiz
Pelagic

Re: Has anyone dove Fort Worden State Park?

Post by Blaiz »

Dusty would be the man to talk to about that side of the stream, but I would also point out that Keystone is a ferry ride away
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

I dived Fort Worden a couple of times. My sailboat was anchored at one of the bouys so I started my dive there. Mostly sandy bottom but with some artificial reef type junk on the bottom that harbored the normal stuff: octos, rockfish, nudibranchs, etc. Lots of crab in the sand. I don't consider it a destination dive but, if I'm anchored there I would do it again. With the beach, lighthouse, the view of the Cascades, and passing ships, it is a great setting. If you see Windwalker anchored there we could join together.
- Curt
Happy to be alive.
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

Fort Worden is a nice little dive. Most of the good stuff is in less that 40' of water. It is very current sensitive, so plan on diving only during slack tide.

I suggest entering the water near the kitchen shelter. At depth (30-40ft-ish) you can travel either direction along the shore. There are occasionally interesting critters; be wary of boaters and crazy jetskiers. The dock area is shallow (<20ft) but has a nice collection of anemones growing on the pilings.

If you want better diving, I would suggest nearby Point Hudson.