If you had to find a new job today... what would you do?

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Matt S.
Submariner

If you had to find a new job today... what would you do?

Post by Matt S. »

A couple of months ago, I and a couple hundred other colleagues got laid off. Some of us had been at the company for about 6 years, and it was tough to go!

While I'd love to do exactly what I was doing before, it's a rare job and will be hard or impossible to replace--at least without moving out of state. But I ain't moving, at least not outside the area from roughly Oly to Everett.

I am trying to see this as an opportunity to find something else to do outside my old field... Obviously that poses its own challenges! So I was wondering... hypothetically speaking, if you lost your job and could not return to that field for some reason, what would you do?
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Re: If you had to find a new job today... what would you do?

Post by Grateful Diver »

I'd move to a third world country ... like Indonesia, Costa Rica or Florida ... and get a job as a scuba instructor.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

I would start my own business....

worked for me :angelblue:
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

i'd open a brewery/dive pub.
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

spatman wrote:i'd open a brewery/dive pub.

With a charter.
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

Fishstiq wrote:

With a charter.
I'd drive the charter boat for Matt and help drink the beer.
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

ORDiver wrote:
Fishstiq wrote:

With a charter.
I'd drive the charter boat for Matt and help drink the beer.
I'd DM for Matt and stay away from the beer because someone has to be sober. :smt064
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Hi Matt,
I'm in pretty much the same boat. I've been a househusband for 20 years and my wife just divorced me. I've been clear out of the workforce for over 10 years, and at my age nobody wants to help me start over. If you come up with any REAL ideas, unlike the delightful hijacking you've seen so far :neener: feel free to share.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

dwashbur wrote: If you come up with any REAL ideas, unlike the delightful hijacking you've seen so far :neener: feel free to share.
hey now, my idea is real. just needs some venture capital. :angelblue:
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Having worked 30+ years in the telecommunication field, with the last 5 being my busiest ever. If I had to go somewhere else I would pick the medical field. We are all getting older ya know, and nobody get out alive.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Re: If you had to find a new job today... what would you

Post by Joshua Smith »

Geek wrote:I would start my own business....

worked for me :angelblue:
That's exactly what happened to me. Fortunately, I was already well on the way to being a general contractor. I just needed a license and bond to make it legal.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

Several years ago some friends and I were talking about doing this very thing. We were going to call it The Dive, decorate the walls with vintage gear and nets etc... Only carry good micro brews and have a limited menu with alder smoked fish and burgers and the like.

I moved to Seattle in 2002 and one of the first places I went looking for a job was 'The Jolly Roger Tap Room' on 15th and Leary. It was almost exactly what my buddies and I had invisioned. It's moved since then, but I still have fantasies about apple smoke onion rings and the home made sauces they make. I would love to open something like that on a beach somewhere.

Since I quit working there and moved back to Alaska I've heard they moved the brewery to somewhere in Fremont, I'll have to look 'em up next time I'm town.

And if anyone ever stops in there for some of the best beer ever - please tell them that Chops says hello.

Also, one my buds did open a brewery here in Sitka with his wife, very limited supplies, but it's good enough that they keep selling out!!
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Okay, this one is off the wall, but I've always wanted to build human powered vehicles for the physically challenged who want to go fast. I look at wheelchairs (even racing chairs) and think "that wouldn't do." The other thing I'd love to so is build custom prosthetics. Truly custom. Like hot-rod custom. Bad-ass prosthetics. Rat-rod, steam-punk, carbon-fiber and heim-joints... whatever they want. I know there is a person out there who has lost a limb, feels like **** about it, and might feel a little better if their prosthetic had some cool factor. I know it isn't for everybody, but it might cheer up the right person.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

Linedog wrote:Having worked 30+ years in the telecommunication field, with the last 5 being my busiest ever. If I had to go somewhere else I would pick the medical field. We are all getting older ya know, and nobody get out alive.
Matt,

I wasn't trying to hijack, was being serious and fanciful all at once.

The medical field is a great option, but you will have to get the schooling of course(3-4yrs counting pre-reqs)

My wife is an RN and she easily makes way more than I do working in law enforcement. Even counting my side job of diving in the harbors.

One of the great things about being a nurse is that you have TONS of options. My wife started doing patient care in a CCU and then branched out into flight nursing. She loved flying all over Alaska going to places that most people can't find on a map. She went back to OR stuff and is in management. There is such a shortage of qualified medical professionals that it seems their wages are only going up and up and up and if nurses, techs don't like what they're doing they can just shift gears into another specialty or department. I know there are lots of medical folks are this board who could give you better advice if that's what you decide. Washington is full of health care options - they everything there.

And remember to hang in there. We've all lost jobs at some point in our lives, it's a bummer of an ego bruiser, but there is always something else out there.
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Id look into jobs that are economy proof.. Heating and airconditioning, comercial refrigeration ... Plumbing, electrical.. Etc.. Etc... Or start you own company doing what you love too do.. I'm self employed and I would never go back to work for a company.. There is also an internet based business
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

dwashbur wrote:Hi Matt,
I'm in pretty much the same boat. I've been a househusband for 20 years and my wife just divorced me. I've been clear out of the workforce for over 10 years, and at my age nobody wants to help me start over. If you come up with any REAL ideas, unlike the delightful hijacking you've seen so far :neener: feel free to share.

If you think I was hijacking...... maybe you should think outside the box, I make 4x more now than I did working for someone else and I can take a nap under my desk when I want to :neener:
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Geek wrote:
dwashbur wrote:Hi Matt,

If you think I was hijacking...... maybe you should think outside the box, I make 4x more now than I did working for someone else and I can take a nap under my desk when I want to :neener:
I wasn't necessarily talking about you. Whatsa matter? Gotta guilty conscience????? :neener: :neener: Seriously, what kind of business?

The talk about the dive pub made my ears perk up. My idea is a little different: I'd like to open a dueling-piano based restaurant that's family friendly, i.e. the humor is basically clean. I love the stuff they do at places like Chopsticks and 88 Keys, but I'd like to have a broader clientele and focus more on food than on the bar (though still offer drinks). My problem is, I'd have to focus on the music end of things, since that's where my abilities are, so I'd need to hire somebody who really knows the restaurant business to operate that part. But I can dream......
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

As some of you know I've been blessed with several good paying jobs/xarreers over the years. Here is what I've found.

>Do you like the people in the job? Some josbs pay well and are interesting but they draw people who you wouldn'' take home to your pet skunk.
>Is it a Job? Or, does it have potential to be a Career? Big difference.
>Is it satisfyiing?
>Can you handle the slave work to become qualified at the journeyman level?
>Is it hard enough and expensive enough to get into that once you are qualified some minimally qualified person isn't going to bump you out?
>Are the skills and the knowledge good building blocks for something else downstream?
>Can you make enough money to make the effort worthwhile?
>It is generally better to be unemployed than underemployed>

This is just a start. But should give you the flavor of what is involved. Most of all: Do Something! Don't think too long. Do Something, Nearly Anything.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

I'm not really qualified to speak about the education opportunities for a pharmacy technician here in washington, but I took an adult continuing education course of 18 week duration to become a pharmacy tech in California. After my own divorce/layoff/homelessness hit (yeah that was a bad week) I transferred my license up to washington. It doesn't pay as well as most nurses and such make, but it also wouldn't take you 3-4 years plus pre-reqs.
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
blt2go
Avid Diver

Post by blt2go »

Well, I was/am in the same boat here. I am finally starting A job tomorrow after a year of unemployment. It pays 2/3 of what I was making before and about 1/2 of what I made going to sea (during the '90s) but at least it is A job.

I would love to do the brewpub/dive shop thang too, I am a home brewer and diver (who hasn't been able to afford to dive lately)
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Each of my career changes came out of the blue and was because of someone I knew and who knew I was looking for something new and different. Each was something that was sort of but not directly related to something I had already done. A couple meant I had to go back to school. But, so what? Until the last couple years I've been taking one kind of class or another most of my life. In fact I'm taking a Bicycle Mechanic Class at the local U right now. Squared away my first drive train last week, repaired and adjusted brakes and trued wheels tonight. it is amazing the people I'm meeting in the class. Who knows, I don't think so right now, but it might result in a new at least part time career.

One tiime i took a class at the local community college. As part of the class I did research on different businesses. One of the businesses liked my research so much they hired me and then other similar clients just seemed to fall into place.

I guess I'm saying don''t worry too much about a specific job or career(different things) but more about being out in the community and willing to try just about anything. Amazing what will find you.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Matt S.
Submariner

Post by Matt S. »

Thanks for the input, everyone.

The job I lost was game designer/lead writer for a big-budget video game--the project was canceled and we all got laid off. (I think it had something to do with the project dragging out for 6 years and never delivering anything? Nah, couldn't be...)

Anyway, if you know of someone who needs a game designer, writer, or web site content manager please let them know I am available. ;) I'd love to find a smaller company where I could be a jack-of-all-trades, but those positions are darned hard to find.

I don't know that I have the energy to start my OWN business right now. I've been down that road once before! Maybe I will start writing a novel like everyone keeps telling me to.
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

Matt S. wrote:Maybe I will start writing a novel like everyone keeps telling me to.
Now that's a novel idea! :smt064
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Matt S. wrote:Thanks for the input, everyone.

The job I lost was game designer/lead writer for a big-budget video game--the project was canceled and we all got laid off. (I think it had something to do with the project dragging out for 6 years and never delivering anything? Nah, couldn't be...)

Anyway, if you know of someone who needs a game designer, writer, or web site content manager please let them know I am available. ;) I'd love to find a smaller company where I could be a jack-of-all-trades, but those positions are darned hard to find.

I don't know that I have the energy to start my OWN business right now. I've been down that road once before! Maybe I will start writing a novel like everyone keeps telling me to.
You worked on vaporware? So exciting! :spatman:

The healthcare call wasn't a bad one, particularly for an IT-minded project manager/developer. Even more so if you have experience with Lean/Agile/Scrum development. If you go to work for a non-profit like Group Health or Regence you can become part of corporate America with your counter-culture conscience clean. (Or at least it's easier to rationalize.) :pirate:

With Health Care Reform, there are new requirements for electronic medical records, and insurers and providers are likely frantically looking for people to help design, build, and maintain those databases. It's not as sexy and exciting as game design, but you'll likely get good benefits!
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

Matt S. wrote:Thanks for the input, everyone.

If they called off Diablo3, I'm breaking some kneecaps
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix