Dead fish inquiry

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Dead fish inquiry

Post by oldsalt »

I don't know how to bring in a quote from another forum, but deepdiver reported a bunch of dead fish on a recent dive in Hood Canal. He speculated that they were at the end of their life cycle. I don't know of any sculpin type fish which have a calendar driven life cycle such as our anadromous fish do. Since this is Hood canal, is it more likely to be the result of another oxygen dead zone?
-Curt
Happy to be alive.
lavachickie
Dive-aholic

Re: Dead fish inquiry

Post by lavachickie »

The ORCA buoys are reporting new-hypoxic conditions at depth; stress level conditions start around 40.

http://orca.ocean.washington.edu/index.shtml

Could be. Perhaps someone with more smarts than me can expand upon that.
Hey Oregon Divers: check out Oregon Scuba Club! http://oregonscuba.com
Looking forward to Roatan June 2016.
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

Curt the timing is right for a die-off of Plainfin Midshipmen. In the late spring and early summer these fish come to shallow waters to nest - the males stay to guard the eggs and the young, and become quite emaciated in the process. Large numbers of them die and wash up on the shore. Ugly fish, neat life history :)
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

whatevah wrote:Curt the timing is right for a die-off of Plainfin Midshipmen. In the late spring and early summer these fish come to shallow waters to nest - the males stay to guard the eggs and the young, and become quite emaciated in the process. Large numbers of them die and wash up on the shore. Ugly fish, neat life history :)
That's quite interesting... I neve knew that... thanks for throwin' that out there.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

Whatevah, you're right. I checked deep diver's picture on the other forum and it was a plainfin midshipman. I remember studying these little fish in ichthyology (30+ years ago) and all I remember is they made noise and had some bioluminescence. This info about the life cycle is appreciated, probably not appreciated as much by the fish though.
Thanks.
-Curt
Happy to be alive.
Biodiversity_Guy
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Biodiversity_Guy »

Yep, I have been seeing a few dead plainfin midshipmen at Sund Rock these past couple of weeks.