Warplanes in Lake Washington

General banter about diving and why we love it.
mattwave
Amphibian

Post by mattwave »

[quote="CaptnJack"]
In a nutshell, not counting security zones and Sand Point, there are no published regulations restricting diving in Lake WA. quote]

So by that rational, we could dive the wrecks near the 520 bridge without permission from DOT or Harbor Patrol?
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

CaptnJack wrote: In a nutshell, not counting security zones and Sand Point, there are no published regulations restricting diving in Lake WA. On wrecks or just mud groveling.

Removal of artifacts from any Navy property is still theft. Legally from the Navy and morally from future divers.
And THAT, ladies and gentlemen, pretty much summarizes all of the above discussion without all the extraneous smoke in a nice, neat little package. Well done, CaptnJack! =D>

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

mattwave wrote:
CaptnJack wrote: In a nutshell, not counting security zones and Sand Point, there are no published regulations restricting diving in Lake WA.
So by that rational, we could dive the wrecks near the 520 bridge without permission from DOT or Harbor Patrol?
Yes, I believe that is correct. However, I'm just a lowly scientist with a Capt's License (50-ton) on the side.

I would double check with Homeland Security for your own peace of mind. And I would get the name, position, and phone number of the person you speak with and have it handy on the boat. Just in case someone tries to make up a "regulation" of convenience.

I had this happen on the Edmonds Oil Dock once. USCG patrol telling us to get away and that we couldn't dive there. (Security Zone)

The fact that it hasn't been an oil dock for years, is owned by the City as a public park, there are dogs and people all over the beach right next to it, its diconnected on shore, and there are condos at the old tank farm was irrelevant to them! They were new recruits from out of town and wanted to flex some muscle.

If you chose to argue with law enforcement, be polite and have your facts + references 100% perfect.

Happy dives and be safe out there. Its still deep, dark, and dangerous.

Richard
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

There was discussion last year about what was necessary to dive the old I-90 bridge. The code is specific but, if I remember correctly, it isn't totally restrictive. The discussion was following a law enforcement contact from KCSO marine unit with divers.

I'd like to add my 2 psi on the subject too, but not about the wrecks themselves (I'm not trained for that level of diving). Rather, about interacting with law enforcement as an ambassador and representative of a sport we all love.

If/when you're contacted by law enforcement, it is in your best interest (and future diver's interest), to be polite and respectful (no matter what your personal opinions of police are). Having your facts straight, references to support them, and explaining your reasoning in a polite, humble, and respectful manner will get you everywhere. If you're a jerk about it, you will have earned whatever you get. It'd be awful for those who enjoy the wrecks (like the folks here) to be unnecessarily banned from these special places. It's just like thanking the neighbors around 3 Tree whenever we see them... good P.R. goes a LONG way.

On a lighter note... it sure does make an argument for bubble-less silent diving doesn't it?! :supz:

And if you're like SeaSlave, Tom Nic, and I - just wave (with all 5 fingers) and smile at the Homeland Security helicopter! :bootyshake:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Sounder wrote: It's just like thanking the neighbors around 3 Tree whenever we see them... good P.R. goes a LONG way.
We're lucky that the folks at TTN are interested in being good neighbors ... just don't try thanking a certain Day Island resident when attempting to access the dive site there ... he's more likely to cuss at you than anything else ...

... we call him Mr. Angry ... :angryfire:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

imo, this thread has gone way, way past the point where it needs to be dropped.
Curt McNamee
Dive-aholic

Post by Curt McNamee »

This thread has generated alot of interesting information and questions and I hope it will continue in a spirited and mature manner.

Thanks John!!!!!
Curt McNamee
rEvo & KISS Classic Diver
http://www.silentscuba.com
Cwest
Avid Diver

Mr. angry?

Post by Cwest »

Who is Mr. angry?
Everyone who I've met at Day Is. has been very pleasant and I would like to be forewarned.
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

deleted....wrong thread..doh!
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

Curt McNamee wrote:This thread has generated alot of interesting information and questions and I hope it will continue in a spirited and mature manner.
my previous post was in response to posts that were disappeared...
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Re: Mr. angry?

Post by Grateful Diver »

Cwest wrote:Who is Mr. angry?
Everyone who I've met at Day Is. has been very pleasant and I would like to be forewarned.
The fellow who lives in the house on the north side of the access trail. He doesn't like divers.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Just smile, and wave politely (with all 5 fingers). :supz: Angry people hate that! :bootyshake:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!