lake diving

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
fay04
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

lake diving

Post by fay04 »

so im curious if its possible to go diving at detroit lake? Just yesterday we had an engagement ring that was dropped into the lake and we are wondering what the possibility of recovery is. is this a long shot? or maybe possible?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: lake diving

Post by CaptnJack »

Errrr welcome...
Are you a diver? Where is detroit lake?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Re: lake diving

Post by Joshua Smith »

fay04 wrote:so im curious if its possible to go diving at detroit lake? Just yesterday we had an engagement ring that was dropped into the lake and we are wondering what the possibility of recovery is. is this a long shot? or maybe possible?

The googles are showing a Detroit Lake in Oregon.

The short answer to your question is that, yes, it is possible to dive for the ring....but there are many variables. Do you have any idea how deep the water is where the ring was dropped, for starters?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Blaiz
Pelagic

Re: Re: lake diving

Post by Blaiz »

Joshua Smith wrote:
fay04 wrote:so im curious if its possible to go diving at detroit lake? Just yesterday we had an engagement ring that was dropped into the lake and we are wondering what the possibility of recovery is. is this a long shot? or maybe possible?

The googles are showing a Detroit Lake in Oregon.
?
my guess was totally fail :eek:
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

it is possible to dive Detroit Lake but it does get very deep. so like josh says, it does depend in where you dropped the ring. another factor is the what the bottom of the lake consists of. if it's anything like Lake Merwin, there will be several inches of silt that will swallow most small things that fall into it.

are you a diver or know divers that might be able to help? if not, we can probably find a few that would be willing, provided it is within diveable depths.
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

Your best bet is to find someone with an underwater metal detector. I've tried to recover lots of things from the lake where the owner knew EXACTLY where it was dropped, on a fairly sandy bottom, and no luck. Short of that, the next best thing might be a sieve of sorts, to just sieve through the muck, but again, it's kind of a long shot. (These options are all assuming the ring is in less than 30 feet of water, of course)
fay04
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by fay04 »

Detroit lake is in Oregon. She says she knows where it was dropped but the depth of that area I'm not sure. I would guess around 40 feet maybe? What depth is considered diveable. I'm sorry if I sound clueless. It was just a thought to save them around $6,000.00 :/
buffwarrior
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by buffwarrior »

it's actually a pretty shallow lake.. I doubt it's 40ft.. but it's diveable.
fay04
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by fay04 »

I'm pretty sure she would be willing to pay someone to try something like this. How would I go about finding someone or a couple people who would be willing to try this?
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

fay04 wrote:I'm pretty sure she would be willing to pay someone to try something like this. How would I go about finding someone or a couple people who would be willing to try this?
email me, matt [at] nwdiveclub.com , and i'll either find a time to help out, or put you in touch with some folks who can.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

buffwarrior wrote:it's actually a pretty shallow lake.. I doubt it's 40ft.. but it's diveable.
parts of that lake are more than 400 ft deep.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Lake
http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_93.php
guitarmaker
Dive-aholic

Post by guitarmaker »

fay04 wrote:I'm pretty sure she would be willing to pay someone to try something like this. How would I go about finding someone or a couple people who would be willing to try this?
Detroit is about an hour east of Salem where I live. Although I've personally never dove it I know several who have and the reports are pretty gloomy as the lake is prone to summer algae blooms and -5' viz. Was the ring dropped from off a pier, dock or boat? Lost while swimming from shore? Dropped from a boat or lost while swimming from shore is going to make finding it MUCH more difficult than if you were standing at the end of a dock watching the ring slip off a finger. If it appears that finding it is feasible there are probably several people, including myself, that would be willing to help.
Cheers!

Ron
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

You could also try using a magnet, depending on what the ring is made out of. A powerful magnet swept close to the bottom might pull the ring up without silting the whole lake out. I hear the most powerful magnets come from Utah.
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Joe, if a magnet sticks it's not a ring, it's a washer!
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey