Shark Week

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Shark Week

Post by Joshua Smith »

Seems a lot better this year than years past.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Re: Shark Week

Post by BASSMAN »

I've been seeing bits and pieces.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
guitarmaker
Dive-aholic

Post by guitarmaker »

I've got to find some time to watch it, the DVR is filling up fast ;)
Cheers!

Ron
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

BASSMAN wrote:I've been seeing bits and pieces.
Yeah watching this has really taken a "bite" out of my free time.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

It's frustrating when they talk about the hundreds of shark attacks each year, and then refuse to mention how many thousands of sharks are killed every year. I think the number is about 300 or 400 attacks and about 37,000 sharks killed every year.
It doesn't seem like a fair fight. :angry:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

BASSMAN wrote:It's frustrating when they talk about the hundreds of shark attacks each year, and then refuse to mention how many thousands of sharks are killed every year. I think the number is about 300 or 400 attacks and about 37,000 sharks killed every year.

It's not the medias job to put the truth out there. Their job is to put @$$€$ in seats. If spin, half truths, and blatant lies do the trick, then that's what they do. Ya know, you could probably make a lot of money if you made a show about media falsehoods.... If there was a way to get it out to people.
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

There is, it's called the Daily show.... the only place I get me news :)
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Fishstiq wrote:
BASSMAN wrote:It's frustrating when they talk about the hundreds of shark attacks each year, and then refuse to mention how many thousands of sharks are killed every year. I think the number is about 300 or 400 attacks and about 37,000 sharks killed every year.

It's not the medias job to put the truth out there. Their job is to put @$$€$ in seats. If spin, half truths, and blatant lies do the trick, then that's what they do. Ya know, you could probably make a lot of money if you made a show about media falsehoods.... If there was a way to get it out to people.
I agree Joe! But they have mentioned more than once the amount of sharks caught or killed by fisherman. Though they concentrate more on stories of shark attacks, i believe they are just trying to throw in footage and stories of sharks to fill in air time (since there are more stories on attacks than sharks killed). The first night was the best of the night I have seen, the magnetic deterrent was pretty awesome.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

What I thought was good in the parts I've watched was the fact that they're providing rational, scientific reasons for most of the attacks- like the woman swiming off the yacht in Bali, who didn't know that a slaughterhouse had existed right where she was swimming, and sharks had been eating right there for decades....
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

Geek wrote:There is, it's called the Daily show.... the only place I get me news :)
I soooooooooo hope this is sarcasm............

Joshua Smith wrote:What I thought was good in the parts I've watched was the fact that they're providing rational, scientific reasons for most of the attacks- like the woman swiming off the yacht in Bali, who didn't know that a slaughterhouse had existed right where she was swimming, and sharks had been eating right there for decades....

Josh, I agree! The "top deadliest sharks" or whatever they call it at least mentioned stats of people versus sharks killed, and made a point to say that more sharks are killed than people by a long shot (albeit at the very end of the show).
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.