Niterider 14 watt hid bulb

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

My Niterider bulb finally burned out today. Any ideas on where I can find a replacement since Niteriders diving division is no longer in business?
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Re: Niterider 14 watt hid bulb

Post by ArcticDiver »

Every time I see a post like this it reminds me one of the reasons I chose DiveRite over some of the other ephemeral brands that have come and gone over the past 12 years.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

ArcticDiver wrote:Every time I see a post like this it reminds me one of the reasons I chose DiveRite over some of the other ephemeral brands that have come and gone over the past 12 years.
Not much help with that post.
I've been using this light for two years and have never had a problem. Bulbs don't last forever.
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Nobody makes their own bulbs anyway.
Do you know what brand of bulb it is?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

CaptnJack wrote:Nobody makes their own bulbs anyway.
Do you know what brand of bulb it is?
No idea. I have 12 allen wrenches and none of them are the right size to remove the bulb.
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

metric? 0.5mm increment? I have a full set of metric + imperial allen wrenchs I had to get at Sears to work on stuff like this. When the fitting is so tiny the only option is to have the exact size.

Lynne and Peter have a niterider which they have worked on in the past, hopefully they will chime in with info about the bulbs they have used.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

cardiver wrote:
ArcticDiver wrote:Every time I see a post like this it reminds me one of the reasons I chose DiveRite over some of the other ephemeral brands that have come and gone over the past 12 years.
Not much help with that post.
I've been using this light for two years and have never had a problem. Bulbs don't last forever.

Just doing a bit of reminiscing about the flak I took when I bought the kit I have and my total lack of maintenance problems now.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
guitarmaker
Dive-aholic

Post by guitarmaker »

Not trying to hijack Ron's post but can you get replacement HID bulbs for Diverite? They're only marketing LED's and LED conversion kits (real expensive!). IF they do - I need a 10 watt myself.
Cheers!

Ron
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

guitarmaker wrote:Not trying to hijack Ron's post but can you get replacement HID bulbs for Diverite? They're only marketing LED's and LED conversion kits (real expensive!). IF they do - I need a 10 watt myself.
You can from Welch Allyn. 1/2 way down explains the basics...
http://www.divegearexpress.com/lights/batteries.shtml
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Thought it greves me to say it I was told that Admiralty Dive in PT has a good stock of night rider bulbs. Or I could convert to led for you if you can't find one.
olyvtx
Dive-aholic

Post by olyvtx »

I tried to cross reference Raptor's HID bulb for his Niterider but the bulb had no markings on it. He eventually bought one of Richard's LED lights and is very pleased with it.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Here are a couple of pics of the bulb.
Attachments
P9230821.JPG
P9230820.JPG
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Old welch allen bub.

The number written on the base is the part number. I think they're sold by ushio now.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Ushio sales them, not sure if they are 14watt though. I know a 10 watt will work but will decrease life of bulb.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Dashrynn wrote:Ushio sales them, not sure if they are 14watt though. I know a 10 watt will work but will decrease life of bulb.
I did a search on Ushio's site with the part number and nothing comes up....
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Dashrynn wrote:Ushio sales them, not sure if they are 14watt though. I know a 10 watt will work but will decrease life of bulb.
I thought that the new ones were all 14watt and that you could run them at 10? Isn't that why DiveRight was offering 14watt upgrades for a while?
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Nwbrewer wrote:
I thought that the new ones were all 14watt and that you could run them at 10? Isn't that why DiveRight was offering 14watt upgrades for a while?
My Niterider is a 10/14 watt bulb. The light head has a switch on it where you can go back and forth between 10/14.
All that i have found so far are 10 watt bulbs.
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

cardiver wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:
My Niterider is a 10/14 watt bulb. The light head has a switch on it where you can go back and forth between 10/14.

Ron if nobody looks it up before I get to it I'll see if i can find the PN at home.

cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

I'd appreciate it, Brewer.
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Nwbrewer wrote:
If they are using the same ballast as the one I used to upgrade my halcyon, then it uses "10 watt" bulbs but drive them to use 14 watts. Thus this decreases the useful life of the bulb. In which they probably told you the useful life was calculated for the 14 watt setting.

The ballast i used also has a 10/14 watt setting by correctly wiring or using the correct switch (I went simple). But using a diode (volt/amp appropriate) you can use a two way switch (anode to cathode.just calculate for voltage drop).
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

cardiver wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:
Found the possible sheet on your ballast. Your useful bulb life is 350 hours vs 750 for 10 watt.

http://ushio.com/files/specs/Solarc-NGX.pdf

http://www.ushio.com/files/specs/Solarc ... P003%20%22
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

So I find the bulb and the only place that sells it has a minimum order of 3 @ 79.00 a piece.....
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

cardiver wrote:So do I just order the 6 degree assembly?
I wished I could say yes, but not knowing anything exactly about nite rider I couldn't confirm. Though the bulb you have shown looks amazingly similar to my bulbs and they appear the same, there is no surefire way of knowing without more definite specs.

If I was in the area I would just bring a halcyon 10 watt proteus 3 bulb over (different bulb same base looks like) to see if it fit. I'm 99.9% sure that is the bulb though. Ushio has a minimum $ order which is 100$ I believe.

My bulb looks like this

Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

cardiver wrote:So I find the bulb and the only place that sells it has a minimum order of 3 @ 79.00 a piece.....
call ushio directly.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Convert it to led... Mwaaaahh Haa Haaa ..
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen