I saw my first adult octopus!

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Novice
Dive-aholic

I saw my first adult octopus!

Post by Novice »

It only took 20 dives or so but I finally spotted an good sized adult octo. I qualify this as adult octo this because Blaiz did find me a little bugger on a dive at Driftwood but he was tiny. I think he was a "Red octo" but my ID skills, like my diving skills, are in their infancy. He was in one of the big tubes at the MUK. I also got to see another Sailfin Sculpin which are one of my current favorite critters. Its a bit of poetic justice that I got to see both of these guys because I always bad mouth Muk as a boring site. I have to admit, every night dive I have done there has been pretty cool.

I think I saw some NWDC folks there too. I also heard them talking about a wolf eel which is the next critter I need to spot. I wish I could post some pics but I am still saving up my pennies for a camera set up.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: I saw my first adult octopus!

Post by Norris »

Ahh yeah we should have introduced ourselves. You two entered the water just before us I think. Yeah we did our bubbles and suds at Mukilteo last night. We went out to the buoy and checked out the boat and made our way back up slope. I think we saw you then too.

I was the bald dude in the tan Jeep.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

Don't discount The Muk!

My first adult seal, baby seal, red octo, red octo on eggs, sail fin sculpin, GPO on eggs, skate, grunt sculpin, and squid were all at Mukilteo. My first shark was at cove 2 and first wolf eel was at les davis, also "boring sites". I've learned there's no such thing as a boring place to dive, for me at least.

Awesome find on the adult octo, they are too cool! How was vis?
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Congrats. Octos are one of the reasons I find most compelling to dive here in the PNW. I love looking at them and seeing the intelligence looking back.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Fishstiq wrote:Don't discount The Muk!

My first adult seal, baby seal, red octo, red octo on eggs, sail fin sculpin, GPO on eggs, skate, grunt sculpin, and squid were all at Mukilteo. My first shark was at cove 2 and first wolf eel was at les davis, also "boring sites". I've learned there's no such thing as a boring place to dive, for me at least.

Awesome find on the adult octo, they are too cool! How was vis?
Viz was really good last night! There was some current but all in all a great night.

Novice did you guys have the same experience?
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Fishstiq wrote:My first adult seal, baby seal, red octo, red octo on eggs, sail fin sculpin, GPO on eggs, skate, grunt sculpin, and squid were all at Mukilteo.
didn't you find a fiancèe there recently, too?
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

I saw a big octopus@Redondo last weekend and some other divers told us of a second nearby
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Novice
Dive-aholic

Post by Novice »

Yeah I thought the viz was great. There was even some bio-luminescence at times, not a ton, but I got to do the flip upside down and watch my bubbles glow thing. I should put in a caveat on my viz reports that as a new diver just getting wet is awesome. Seeing a rockfish in 10ft viz at EUP still counts as a sweet dive in awesome viz.

I like the Rat fish at Muk. Every night dive I have done there it seems like there are these fairly big schools. Shinning your light out into the dark and seeing all the glowing eyes is sweet!
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

spatman wrote:
Fishstiq wrote:My first adult seal, baby seal, red octo, red octo on eggs, sail fin sculpin, GPO on eggs, skate, grunt sculpin, and squid were all at Mukilteo.
didn't you find a fiancèe there recently, too?

I did indeed! Really weird critters, they are.......
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Congrats - I got to see my first Octo this last weekend too, at Sund Rock (dives #8,9)... :supz: Two nice big fellas, up at fairly shallow depths in daylight (due to low O2 levels I would imagine), one hanging out on the side of a rock and the other underneath an overhang in the hull of a wrecked boat. I don't have a camera (yet) but sure wished I did for that sight. Plus, tons of wolf eels and other fishey and nudie and other invertebrate type critters I wouldn't have a clue on IDing :-) (It did happen, Alexitt has lots of pics!).

And you really can see there's an intelligence behind those eyes staring back at ya! Alien, but it's there...

There were a bunch of divers out there that day (Hi Lavachickie!) - quite an experience for a newbie. One might be tempted to call it a circus but it was better organized than that. :popcorn:

Jim
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Hey Jim, was that a drysuit dive?
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Linedog wrote:Hey Jim, was that a drysuit dive?
Yes it was - first run on my new Bare D6 :partydance: It's back in the shop for Wally to put the pockets & wrist rings on, but it did the important bits - kept the water outside and the warm inside :supz:

Jim
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Outstanding!
Pop tarts and gravy,
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

Proof... but not a very good shot though...
Proof... but not a very good shot though...
Good dives, I'll post a few more pics later...
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Nice, that's a beauty.
Pop tarts and gravy,