Brightest Dive Light

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Brightest Dive Light

Post by Diver_Dave »

I know a guy there in the Seattle area that makes lights that r bad to the bone.......Drop me a message if u need more info...
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Finding things under water....
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Re: Brightest Dive Light

Post by H20doctor »

his name is jake.. Nw brewer
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Dusty's lights are brighter than mine!
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Here's Dave's new light?
Nice Light!
Nice Light!
:supz:
Diver Daves light 001.jpg
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

Sweetness
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Finding things under water....
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Diver_Dave wrote:Sweetness
Need a goodman handle and you are set!!! Nice light!
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

I dunno....that SST-90 aspheric is hard to beat. 2:04 shows his against a 21w hid.

[vimeo]http://www.vimeo.com/12970281[/vimeo]
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

You cant compare 5 xre being drivin at 700 ma.. To a Sst 90 being pushed at 4amp at close to 2400lumens.. MrDash
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

Don't throw facts at dash... you know better!
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

H20doctor wrote:You cant compare 5 xre being drivin at 700 ma.. To a Sst 90 being pushed at 4amp at close to 2400lumens.. MrDash
Oh dang, that's right; a 500 mah increase is aloottttttttt(3500vs4000) :stir: . So is that 5x3.5x.7(12.25watts) vs 3.42X4(13.68watts)? I'm not quite sure on the driving range of the 5 xre's in THAT module. Going off of my 32 watt battery that kinda seems right in relation to run time (2-3 hours), based off of the same module that's in my rebuild. How do you figure 2400 lumens at 4 amps? At 4 amps the lumens are at 125% (3.15 is 100%) and at 3.15 the lumens are at 1000.

If it's 9 amps....then yeah 34.83 watts is a great deal more power and the 5 led module is nice.

EDIT: There's your facts Mr Gosler
Last edited by Dashrynn on Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Your dumb...the 5 xre module only has a max volt of 8.4 volts.. A sst 90 chip is 2400 lumens.. Do yr research .. Duh ?

http://www.luminus.com/products/SST-90.html
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

H20doctor wrote:Your dumb...the 5 xre module only has a max volt of 8.4 volts.. A sst 90 chip is 2400 lumens.. Do yr research .. Duh ?

....So the leds which max driving range is 3.9 volts is being driven at 8.4 volts and not regulated to be dropped down at 3.5v each? Something doesn't seem right here. No you're dumb, do your research.

Okay so off of your "findings" how many watts is the 5 xre module driven at? Don't you think the 2400 lumens change if it isn't being driven at 9 amps vs 4 amps? Plus the efficiency drops after 3.15 amps as per the manual. That's why it says "max efficiency at 3.15 amps"
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

H20doctor wrote:Your dumb...the 5 xre module only has a max volt of 8.4 volts.. A sst 90 chip is 2400 lumens.. Do yr research .. Duh ?

Oh and at the bottom what does it say below max lumens?
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

I think the problem here is that you two are not understanding that volts x 5.776 \34 lumins * candle power = what the hell are you two talking about!!!!????
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Norris wrote:I think the problem here is that you two are not understanding that volts x 5.776 \34 lumins * candle power = what the hell are you two talking about!!!!????
Data sheets...data sheets... :penelope: interpolation of lumens. Go to data sheet and review what it says, if after the first 11 pages you aren't confused, you are welcome in the club of nerds. Then go cry in the corner telling yourself "x is solvable, x is solvable!!"

Your answer is pie norris, yum wholesome cherry pie.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Dashrynn wrote:

....So the leds which max driving range is 3.9 volts is being driven at 8.4 volts and not regulated to be dropped down at 3.5v each? Something doesn't seem right here. No you're dumb, do your research.

Okay so off of your "findings" how many watts is the 5 xre module driven at? Don't you think the 2400 lumens change if it isn't being driven at 9 amps vs 4 amps? Plus the efficiency drops after 3.15 amps as per the manual. That's why it says "max efficiency at 3.15 amps"
maybe if you built lights, you would understand.. But you dont.. An Sst 90 chip can take 9 amps.. go research candle power forums.. Watts are irrev to LED's.. There not light bulbs..
Did you read the part in the spec sheet "Typical voltage " ?
1amp =3volts... So a 5 xre module at 8.4 volts is allmost.. 9amps

yr dumb, and as my friend I can call you that
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

H20doctor wrote:
Dashrynn wrote:

maybe if you built lights, you would understand.. But you dont.. An Sst 90 chip can take 9 amps.. go research candle power forums.. Watts are irrev to LED's.. There not light bulbs..
First off I knew you would say this,I rebuilt my light. i won't say the rest of what i thought because that is pushing it to far.

Secondly; so what you are saying is, Ohms law is a lie.....I'll be sure and tell my physics teacher that Simon Ohm is a liar.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

H20doctor wrote:
You're judging something based or magical numbers. Should I bring in the lumen fairy so we can also have a 2000 lumens XML led? Judge that by 8.4 volts?

Now based off of what you just said, in theory, my light won't run any longer than a half an hour. Why does it run for 2-3 hours? Is there also a voltage/amp fairy?
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Duh.. The driver ? I can push a 5 xre all day at 300 ma .. At 8.4 volts
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

H20doctor wrote:Duh.. The driver ? I can push a 5 xre all day at 300 ma .. At 8.4 volts
I have a constant current constant voltage power supply to test your theory. I never said you couldn't use that, nor did i state the accurate voltage or amperage of the module supplying the power to the leds. I did however, state, by the data sheet your findings is incorrect. Why don't you prove me wrong with facts and not assumptions?
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Facts are you have no clue in bulding dive lights.. Go search candle power forums on lumens in the led section for the SST 90.. Its like 8 pages long.. Im done with you,
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

H20doctor wrote:Facts are you have no clue in bulding dive lights.. Go search candle power forums on lumens in the led section for the SST 90.. Its like 8 pages long.. Im done with you,
*Cracks fingers* You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. Exhibit 1.
H20doctor wrote:Duh.. The driver ? I can push a 5 xre all day at 300 ma .. At 8.4 volts
H20doctor wrote:You cant compare 5 xre being drivin at 700 ma.. To a Sst 90 being pushed at 4amp at close to 2400lumens.. MrDash
Notice what i notice mister dive light builder?

Exhibit 2
H20doctor wrote: maybe if you built lights, you would understand.. But you dont.. An Sst 90 chip can take 9 amps.. go research candle power forums.. Watts are irrev to LED's.. There not light bulbs..
Look at this, I'm not the only idiot who believes watts are relevant.

http://unclean.org/howto/led_circuit.html
Power Source

This particular example can be expressed as: 12v * .02A = .24 watts. So as you see, a .25 watt resistor (1/4) is already cutting it close. It is of interest to note that your typical incandescent light bulb will run between 60 and 100 watts, while your three LEDs are bright enough to read by and consume a mere .24 watts!

That alone proves you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to calculations. Now go back to piecing stuff together and hoping it works, I'll be building a 1200 watt lithium battery, or wait should it be a made up number too since OHM's law is irrelevant?

P.S. I found my old electronics program which teaches advanced electronics(from the navy), you can use it if you want.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Data sheets fall apart underwater. (See how I did that?) :tomnic:
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Go dive a rebreather...curtis.. I bet you know how to build those too..
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

airsix wrote:Data sheets fall apart underwater. (See how I did that?) :tomnic:
*pulls out bungee backup* Don't worry, I have more. :penelope: