Veterans Day Gratitude

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Veterans Day Gratitude

Post by oldsalt »

I observe Veterans' Day for several reasons. First being my dad and five uncles who served in the various branches of the armed forces in WWII. History compells me to honor them and their generation. Second, my contemporaries who fought a difficult war in difficult times. In retrospect, I found myself in deep when, a week out of high school, I raised my hand and swore to "defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic." Little did I realize the accomplishments which would arise from those taking the oath with me that day. Two would rise to four star rank, five reach three stars, two would become astronauts, and scores would serve with distinction. Fortune smiled upon me that day to have such a group befriend and care for me in the years that followed. We also took the Code of Conduct, which stated, "I am an American fighting man defending my country and our way of life. I am prepared to give my life in their defense." Not a hollow statement, seventeen of those there that day would die in combat. Another 35 were killed in operational accidents, mostly plane crashes. I must express my gratitude to these individuals. A third group that I remember, and perhaps with the greatest affection and sense thankfulness, are the many individuals who served with me through the years. Even though I served with two Medal of Honor winners, it is the regular serviceman doing his (or her) job that marked my memory the most. They worked with commitment, endurance, resourcefulness, and humor. I thank God for them. Finally, I stand in awe of those who have carried on onto this day. Although I have lost family members or close friends in each of the five services in recent years, I want to emphasize that this is not Memorial Day but Veterans' Day. Instead of visiting cemetaries and playing taps, we celebrate the contributions of those with us who have sacrificed to serve.Those who return from combat intact physically still experience the flashbacks and dreams. To those who minimize this, I say that until you have experienced it and the disruption it does to your life, you have no clue. And those who never faced combat still faced separation due to deployments, incredibly long hours, and hazardous training.
Thank you all.

A couple of years ago, one of my sons asked, "Can't we do something fun on Veterans' Day and still be honoring them?" Smart kid. We decided to dive on the Corsair off Oahu, take some pictures, and present them to a retired Marine friend who flew that aircraft. It was marvelous, as you can see.
CorsairColor.jpg
PICT0317.JPG
Last year on November 11th we dived another WWII navy aircraft, the Helldiver, off Maui. Great day.
HelldiverProp.jpg
The reason I post on this board, is that I several of the divers I have met here are vets, and I'm sure there are more.
So Kimo, I'm thinking of your diving in Haiphong Harbor at the height of the Vietnam War.
Loanwolf and Kagey747, I realize military aviation is a particularly dangerous endeavor. That's why we have so many plane wrecks to dive. Thanks.
Dusty2, thank you for your years of service, including one in Vietnam.
Arctic Diver and John Rawlings, thank you for your service.
ShavedheadPhil, and all of you still serving, I offer my deepest gratitude.
Saying "Than you for your service" has become part of "patriotism lite", like wearing a flag in your lapel. The last refuge of the scoundrel.
I hope you accept my gratitude as being deeper than that.
-Curt
Happy to be alive.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Re: Veterans Day Gratitude

Post by cardiver »

Great post! I was just talking to a few of my Army buddies yesterday that I have not seen in 24 years. We are trying to plan some type of reunion around Veterans Day 2012.

US Army Military Police Corp (SRT)
1984-87
Last edited by cardiver on Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Curt, thank you for posting such beautiful tribute to the real heroes of this world.
I salute you all...
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

True and touching words, Curt. Of the many who serve, not so many are called upon to perform heroic deeds, but rather we sat far behind the lines (in my case, mostly in front of computers sending important weather data to places around the globe) doing the unsung tasks needed to support our brethren on the sharp end of the stick. We sit and do our jobs, and hope we can rise to the standards of bravery shown by our brethren (and sistren!) when and if it's needed, and we salute those are called upon and rise to meet and exceed all demands...

Jim (USAF, '84-'95)
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Thanks Curt for your sacrifice also. I can only imagine the hell you went through to come back from the injuries you suffered.

None of us did these things for glory or credit. We simply did what we thought was the right thing. We were raised in a different time when patriotism was what you did. Tragically during our time on the line America had lost it's way and doing what we felt was right was not fashionable. Many who served and gave so much were treated much worse when arriving home than they deserved or could bear. Those were dark times but thankfully now people are more aware of the sacrifices our military make and veterans can once again hold their heads high.

To all who have served with honer in whatever uniform, on what ever foreign soil no mater the assignment I salute you.

THANK YOU BROTHER AND SISTERS.

U S Army 1964- 1978
Last edited by Dusty2 on Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Good Post
Last edited by ArcticDiver on Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Jan K wrote:Curt, thank you for posting such beautiful tribute to the real heroes of this world.
I salute you all...
Well said, and plus 1!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Thank you for a Great Post Kurt! =D> :goodpost:
To all of you who served and continue to serve, Thank You! :notworthy: :grouphug: :thankyouyellow:

K. Carpenter
U.S.N. 84' - 88'
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

Curt, you are awesome!
Jenn
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Veterans Day Gratitude

Post by Fishstiq »

USMC 1995-2000
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Fishstiq wrote:
USMC 1995-2000
Love that poster
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

:thankyouyellow: Excellent post... Remembering all our Vets!!!

Alex
US Army
UH-1H Crew "75-77"
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Just finished listening to PBS "Talk of The Nation". Subject today was homeless veterans. This is a follow-on to a piece on active duty and veteran suicides.

Sad, so so sad.

When I was on active duty I knew folks who committed suicide. It was sad then. After all these years, with all the supposed advances in knowledge and understanding for it to still be a problem increases the sadness and plumb perplexes me.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

For those that served.
Last edited by Jeff Pack on Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Great posts. I thank all who have served.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Beautifully said, all of you. Many, many thanks to all who have served.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

In today's world of an all volunteer military and a seemingly unending war I think it only fair to include the families in our thanks. Their love and support is a foundation for today's military. The families give that love and support while enduring long separation and uncertainty.

Hand Salute to you all.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

I've received several e-mails and phone calls from friends today. For some reason this particular Veterans Day seems to have touched a chord with a lot of people.

I have found myself thinking about my own service, (1/31st Mech Infantry - I got a call from one of my old Army buddies today!), and also reflected on my father's generation of vets. My dad and all of my uncles all joined up during WWII, all of them ending up fighting in the Pacific Theatre. One of them, my Uncle Don, is still with us. He was a US Marine and fought in what are now considered several of the greatest battles in USMC history - Tinian, Saipan, Iwo Jima and Okinawa. He was a fortunate man to have returned to his family.

Here's a photo of what was left of his platoon after one of the battles - I think Tinian but I'm not certain. He is shown on the right - PFC Donald D. McNees of Wenatchee WA. My daughter's first words after seeing this photo were, "they all look so young!". That's the way that war is....
UncleDon_USMS_Tarawa.jpg
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Marc
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Marc »

Mech..... The lazy infantry.
Reporter: "The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?"

Raikkonen: "It protects my head."
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

Blitz wrote:Mech..... The lazy infantry.
Beats humpin'

Air Mobile!!! :angelblue:
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo