pregnant divers

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Cera
Submariner

pregnant divers

Post by Cera »

I was reading the new Alert diving and they had an article about pregnant divers and I was wondering if anyone knew (personally) of anyone who dove while pregnant? I understand that it is still acceptable in Europe? What do you guys think?
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING ... BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cera17
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

I dove while I was pregnant with my son. I went to 60 ft or so a couple of times but I was only about 5 weeks along. I then dove the the pool but mostly on the shallow end all through my pregnancy.

So far, my 2 year old seems normal...except those little gills around his ears #-o

I did a lot of checking while I was pregnant and their just wasn't a lot of information about it. To be safe, I just didn't dive. 2 weeks after my son was born, I was back in the water. I taught an open water class 3 weeks after that.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
jeff98208
Aquanaut

Post by jeff98208 »

[/quote]So far, my 2 year old seems normal...except those little gills around his ears

then you did it right then padigal, if there is gills present, then you have done it it right... the offspring of humans that dive grow gills. :smt119 well thats what i read (hahaha) :book:
TAKE only pictures, KILL only time, LEAVE only bubbles!
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

With so much unknown about it, and no way to really study it ("pardon me m'aam, we'd like to do some tests on your unborn baby, which may or may not affect him/her, do you mind?") it's generally recommended to just stay out of the water. Why take the chance on your child? And, even diving in the first trimester could be problematic, as that's when the most rapid period of growth and development is.

Yes, some women smoke and drink during pregnancy and the baby turns out fine, but again, why risk it.

Just my 2 cents worth.

-Valerie
PADI Divemaster
DAN Instructor
Emergency Nurse