Juggling a dive light and camera/strobe

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
fnerg
Dive-aholic

Juggling a dive light and camera/strobe

Post by fnerg »

N00b question here: I just got a proper strobe for my camera, having never used something like this, how do you juggle a dive light and a camera/strobe? I've seen some just use a focus light for a dive light, and I've seen one guy tape a regular dive light to the strobe. How do you deal?
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Re: Juggling a dive light and camera/strobe

Post by cardiver »

fnerg wrote:N00b question here: I just got a proper strobe for my camera, having never used something like this, how do you juggle a dive light and a camera/strobe? I've seen some just use a focus light for a dive light, and I've seen one guy tape a regular dive light to the strobe. How do you deal?
Canister light with a Goodman handle.......
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

cardiver wrote:
fnerg wrote:N00b question here: I just got a proper strobe for my camera, having never used something like this, how do you juggle a dive light and a camera/strobe? I've seen some just use a focus light for a dive light, and I've seen one guy tape a regular dive light to the strobe. How do you deal?
+1
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

For me? Ditch the strobe and just use a nice powerful can light with a good diffuser and either hand hold it or goodman mount it. Of course I could be accused of being prejudiced. :neener:
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

cardiver wrote:
+1.5
"Well as much as this pains me I am gonna have to pull out" - pogiguy05
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

Mounting the light ON the strobe is not ideal because you don't always want to point the strobe directly at your subject. I suggest you mount your light on a seperate arm of your camera rig. Pick a good focus light and you can use it as your primary dive light as well. I currently use a Sola 1200 (which is amazing but pricey), but in the past I have used at $39 pelican xenon with a milk carton difusser. Camera mounting frees you from juggling too many objects, and you camera is always in your hands and ready to take an impromptu shot.

(Make sure you get a good lanyard to clip your camera to you BC.)

Dave
Dave
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

I used to use a dive light in my left hand as a focus light while shooting with the camera in my right hand. Now I have a sola 600 dive light that is wonderfully bright. I still carry a dive light to explore nooks and crannies with (the camera isn't quite as easy to maneuver as the dive light for just poking around). when I'm ready to shoot I drop the dive light (on its lanyard of course) and just use the focus light on the camera.
Dan Hershman :smt024