Just north of Chambers Creek. Anyone done this?

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
orsk
Getting To Know Folks

Just north of Chambers Creek. Anyone done this?

Post by orsk »

I have been looking at this site for a while now, and I'm wondering if anyone else has gone here or checked it out. It's just north of Chamber's Creek in Stellicoom. Appears to be about a mile north of Sunnyside. I'm thinking that it will be about the same as Sunnyside, but hopefully with more to look at around those pillars and who knows maybe something deeper than 20ft. It doesn't show up well on Google, but there is a bridge that goes over the RR tracks and leads right to the beach, an I believe that most of the construction is complete. I'll check that out later this week. If I am done with DMing the OW class dives early on Sunday I hope to go check it out, unless someone here has any warnings or serious hazards I'm unaware of.

I tried to embed the map here, but can't figure it out yet. Here is the address to search and the Google map link "10311 Chambers Creek Rd W, Tacoma, WA"

Tim
Tim
I have too much Blood in my Nitrogen system!!
http://www.cafepress.com/yourscubastate
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Just north of Chambers Creek. Anyone done this?

Post by CaptnJack »

Well there's a wastewater treatment plant there so Kirby might know :neener: In all seriousness, I hope he's checking the board still and getting better every day.

I imagine you'll find poor vis and quite a delta of silty sand actually. Were you planning on swimming, scootering, or getting there by boat?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
orsk
Getting To Know Folks

Post by orsk »

I'm going to drive up there and walk across the bridge that isn't shown on Google yet. It's just a "see what's there" dive. If it's good then great, new spot to show off, and if it sucks I still got wet for a little while.
Tim
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

There might be eelgrass at least, that's can be fun albit really shallow.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
olyvtx
Dive-aholic

Post by olyvtx »

here's a pic of the site at low tide from Bing. Looks like a heck of a walk if you're parking at the marina...
Attachments
untitled1.JPG
untitled.JPG
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Yeah but can you get anywhere close to it? I'm thinking that is an old rock quarry loading dock and might be interesting and deep enough to be of interest. I would say PM boydski. If anyone has tried it it would likely be him.
orsk
Getting To Know Folks

Post by orsk »

Now that I look at the pics you posted I realized that's not the spot I wanted the map to show. :tomnic: I was trying to pin the spot to the next dock up the shoreline from there, right across from the dog park. 6320 Grandview Dr W University Place, WA 98467 If you look at this one and move the map west to the water you will see the bridge over the RR tracks to get to the beach. Here's the link to the bing map, but it was before the bridge and park were built, and part of the dock is still there in this one that is gone now. I'll end up going at some point, but I'm going to need to get a day where I get out of work while there is some daylight. I'll check out the night life after I know what's there. Who knows maybe it will be good enough to go between the both of them.

Thanks all for the comments and recommendations so far.

Tim
Tim
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

looks like quite a ways to hump gear, unless just under the overpass, the fencing stops and you can get up to the bridge.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

:popcorn:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

:popcorn:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

You need a boat.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

I've been thinking about that. A 20ft Zodiac would be sweet

Just where to store it...

Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

orsk
Getting To Know Folks

Post by orsk »

You guys seem to think I'm walking down the RR tracks and across the track bridge. NO NO NO. I tried to add the image, and I hope it works. I edited it with what is there now. It's not that far of a walk either way. Image
Tim
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Interesting, Let us know what it's like when you do it.

Walking across the tracks can earn you a hefty ticket not to mention being very dangerous so use the bridge if you should go.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Jeff Pack wrote:I've been thinking about that. A 20ft Zodiac would be sweet

No go smaller. On 20ft inflatables the tubes are gigantic and they ride way out of the water making getting back in a beetch. Unless you have a ladder, but inflatables are challenging to put ladders on. Any tube more than 20" in diameter becomes more hassle than the increased boat size provides.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Of course if you had a boat you'd probably just go to Z's, the Narrows Bridge, Point Defiance, Tolvia shoal, or another A-list site. I understand the desire to see something new, but sometimes you drive over "the spot" and see nothin' but sand on the depth sounder and move on.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

CaptnJack wrote:
Jeff Pack wrote:I've been thinking about that. A 20ft Zodiac would be sweet

No go smaller. On 20ft inflatables the tubes are gigantic and they ride way out of the water making getting back in a beetch. Unless you have a ladder, but inflatables are challenging to put ladders on. Any tube more than 20" in diameter becomes more hassle than the increased boat size provides.
That is true, but we used to have a setup on the prop horizontal fin, you stepped on, and then a buddy helps you up.

Now of course you'd already doffed your gear.

Another boat had a gymnasium rope with knots, you man hoed yourself up over the tubes from the side (gear off).

Other times we just left gear behind, and hooped team members at speed. But I suspect no one in the civvie world is gonna jump on that approach... :)

elmer fudd
Just Settling In

Post by elmer fudd »

I'm dredging up an old thread here, but I was searching for something else and came across it and realized I had dove the site in question.

It wasn't that spectacular. I dove it about a year and a half ago, so my recollection's not perfect, but it wasn't that hard to get to at all. There's a parking lot a few hundred yards away and we just suited up there, threw all our tanks and gear in a garden wagon and wheeled it to the beach.

There wasn't a lot of life or interesting structure there. Some pilings and a gently sloping bottom that I remember being somewhat sandy and mostly bare. There may have been some perch there, but I'm pretty sure that was about it so far as fish were concerned, as I remember both myself and my buddy were disappointed with the site. We didn't find any bottle fields or interesting debris either. The maximum depth we reached was about 70' if I remember right, but the pilings were all in shallow.

I remember we did have excellent visibility though. Currents were minimal and there were no real hazards that I can recall.

Not a site I would recommend.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Thanks for the report!