Underwater weather

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Furnari
Aquaphile

Underwater weather

Post by Furnari »

My buddy and I hit Clear Lake in the Cascades today. Yes, it was cold- but it was also breezy. At one point I looked back at her and noticed a couple of disturbances on the surface. My first guess was a couple of birds taking off, but it dawned on me that they were something else- two whirlwinds skittering across the surface. I was able to whip the camera up and take a quick shot of one of them before they dissipated. The other shot is just a general one of what draws us to Clear Lake- jaw-dropping viz, and the history stored in 3,000 year-old timber...
Attachments
cDSC05604.JPG
DSC05643.JPG
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Underwater weather

Post by nwbobber »

How was the access? Can you drive to the lake? I'm shivering thinking about it, but that is incredible visibility.
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

nwbobber wrote:How was the access? Can you drive to the lake? I'm shivering thinking about it, but that is incredible visibility.
You can drive right up to it. Picnic tables and even cabins right on the water.......
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Furnari
Aquaphile

Post by Furnari »

Yep, and since it was the off season, we could even use the boat ramp for access (I asked first). An inch or so of snow on the ground, and traction tires required on the way up. PM if you ever need more info- this is definitely something every NW diver should see...
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Nice, Thanks! This is a dive that is on my "Bucket List" for sure! :supz:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

So which and where??? There has got to be at least a half dozen clear lakes in washington.
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

I was assuming this was the clear lake in Oregon. My wife and I went there one time and couldn't find the road due to the snow. It is definitely on the list. It's cool you looked up at the right moment.
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
Furnari
Aquaphile

Post by Furnari »

Good point- Clear Lake, Oregon is about 80 miles east of Eugene up Hwy 126. It was formed from a lava flow blocking a drainage 3-4,000 years ago, leaving some standing timber. It's fed by springs that you can swim over, and the water ultimately flows into the McKenzie. Viz is typically 100-150 ft., with 200' possible sometimes. Our dive club does an annual full moon dive here in the summer- I haven't done that yet, but I hear it's spectacular.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

There is also some very nice mt biking available in the Clear Lake area......
Attachments
clear lake.jpg
Very nice cabins in the town of McKenzie
Very nice cabins in the town of McKenzie
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
RDW
Aquaphile

Post by RDW »

Underwater weather? I'm pretty sure the humidity is at 100%.
(Nice pics!)
Randy Williams

"Man who say it cannot be done should not bother man who is doing it."
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Wow that is awesome, I need to get some solid dive buddies and plan a trip to do that asap...
Furnari wrote:My buddy and I hit Clear Lake in the Cascades today. Yes, it was cold- but it was also breezy. At one point I looked back at her and noticed a couple of disturbances on the surface. My first guess was a couple of birds taking off, but it dawned on me that they were something else- two whirlwinds skittering across the surface. I was able to whip the camera up and take a quick shot of one of them before they dissipated. The other shot is just a general one of what draws us to Clear Lake- jaw-dropping viz, and the history stored in 3,000 year-old timber...
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do."
-Confucius