Trimix/CCR diving computer Seawooch Mk.2

General topics about technical diving.
vlad
Aquaphile

Trimix/CCR diving computer Seawooch Mk.2

Post by vlad »

For a long time I was looking for a dive computer to use as backup while diving with CCR. There are not that many models currently available on the market that support fixed PPO2 mode and all of them are quite expensive. One particularly interesting is made in Germany:

http://heinrichsweikamp.net/#/en/ostc_2n/

It seems adequate and also is interesting because they opened the design and published its schematics and software online. Still, considering current exchange rates, it isn't cheap either.

But then I found some references to this computer:

http://translate.google.com/translate?s ... s%2Fmk2%2F

It's a clone of German OSTC 2N and uses the same software. I looked up reviews on Russian diving forums, they were mostly positive. I contacted those guys and ordered one - the price was much nicer then any other similar device, though it's still far from being 'dirt cheap'. The computer arrived a few weeks ago. It looks quite similar to a small version of Shearwater Predator. The screen is as nice as the Predator's, mechanical buttons feel quite adequate too. The only issue was that it doesn't have a switch to show depth in feet rather then meters (who cares about those backward Americans, right?). Alas, I'm falling into the same bunch, I started diving here in US and those meters, bars and degrees Celsius seems Greek to me underwater. This may look strange for some one who new only metric before moving into US, but it is a fact. Nevertheless, thanks to the open software of this computer, this problem is almost resolved.

I'm planning to take it out for a first dive tomorrow at MMM, if anyone interested. I'm pretty sure that Shearwater and Liquivision shouldn't lose their sleep because of this device, but as relatively inexpensive alternative for backup purposes with infinite tweaking options, it does the trick for me.