Shore Diving Neah Bay

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Shore Diving Neah Bay

Post by dwashbur »

Thinking about heading up that way, but I know nothing about the place. What are the shore diving sites there, and where might I find some info about them? Info on dive shops to get air would be helpful, too.

Thanks!
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Shore Diving Neah Bay

Post by CaptnJack »

There isn't much except the jetty. You aren't going at this time of year are you? Looong drive to potentially find un-divable surge.

Salt Creek is a good 75mins east of Neah and even that is super iffy in winter. You could try Salt Creek or Sekiu, both are more "worthy" than the jetty and in the Fischnaller shore dives book. Do not underestimate the potential to get the sh*t kicked out of you by even modest surge (even in summer). Not kidding it can kill.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

i have done the Jetty at neah bay... climbed up and over the big ROCKS... it was flat when i got in.. but waves had picked up when i got out... it could easily smash a diver on the outside of the jetty if the weather conditions arnt calm and flat ..

id try to dive the jetty at seiku, or head to salt creek

look at the jetty rocks ... can you huff your tanks and gear over these monsters ? it was a chore for me ..
IMG_0247.JPG
Big Rocks ... i had to stage my tank and bc down on the lower rocks , suit up, climb over and down then gear up..
jetty.jpg
the jetty is a kick ass dive ... its 35 feet and full of life.. but best done from a boat , or be in good shape to huff gear ..
Last edited by H20doctor on Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
raptor
Dive-aholic

Post by raptor »

Look up Curley Resort but this time of year for diving is very difficult as CaptnJack explained.

http://www.curleysresort.com/
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

The army has a project to add to the jetty. I am not sure when its scheduled to happen. But the funny thing is they couldn't find dense enough rocks without spending a fortune. Way out there everything is low density volcanic stuff and they move when they aren't supposed to!

Salt Creek is nice but I've been beat up there in August, not fun.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Marc
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Marc »

There are several dive site between Sekiu Bay and Neah Bay. Some are just pull outs along the roads; look at the charts and figure out what works for you. I have dove at least 5 sites that were worth it.
Reporter: "The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?"

Raikkonen: "It protects my head."
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Thanks for all the replies. I know I can always count on this group. It sounds like it's not a good idea, so I'm sorta proud to say it wasn't actually my idea :angelblue: I've done Ediz Hook before, but that's as far west as I've been over that way. Maybe Hood Canal would be a better option for a road trip...

Again, thanks all! You guys are the best!
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Their is quite a bit of shore diving out their if you have a scooter. But their are still a few that you can dive without but most of them are a pretty good walk to get to the beach. PM me.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.