Tuesday Shallow Wreck Dive Anyone? (Seattle Area)

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

I have been reading about many wrecks in the area you can dive and there is a good amount of shallow (60' or less) sites that are in the Local Seattle Area. I would like to go check one out on Tuesday afternoon... Any reccomendations would be appreciated as well... Looking to dive Tuesday Afternoon...
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do."
-Confucius
renoun
I've Got Gills

Re: Tuesday Shallow Wreck Dive Anyone? (Seattle Area)

Post by renoun »

I assume that you have been suitably unimpressed by the Honey Bear by now and the Triamph at Edmonds isn't really much to see either. I can't think of anything that is that shallow, legal to dive, and doesn't require a boat or scooter to access it locally. You have a couple of options in the South Sound, on the Kitsap Peninsula, and around Port Townsend if you are up for a drive. Take a look at Boydski's web site (or go buy his book) and see what you can come up with. If you can spring for a charter or get friendly with a boat owner you have a few more options.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

Renoun -- glad to see you wrote that. I have an AOW student who wanted to do one of his AOW dives as a "Wreck" dive but I couldn't come up with anything that resembled a wreck that was close enough to do. I ended up with the Triumph and Pontoon and plan on having the student do his dive on them.

IF anyone knows of a/some wrecks within kick distance of shore AND within 45 minutes of Kirkland, I'd certainly like to know.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Peter Guy wrote:Renoun -- glad to see you wrote that. I have an AOW student who wanted to do one of his AOW dives as a "Wreck" dive but I couldn't come up with anything that resembled a wreck that was close enough to do. I ended up with the Triumph and Pontoon and plan on having the student do his dive on them.

IF anyone knows of a/some wrecks within kick distance of shore AND within 45 minutes of Kirkland, I'd certainly like to know.
Kind of depends on what you consider "a wreck" and" kickable". Other then the stuff at EUP, there's the pegasus off Matthews beach, and a the old Mill site has some little wrecks there. I've kicked all of them, but I know a lot of people consider tehm scooter dives. The two in the lake are actually shorter kicks than the Triumph.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Someone once told me the bridge rubble at Les Davis is considered a "wreck". I'm still scratching my head over that one.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Alas, I know nothing in the Seattle area - but then I'm in the South End and generally don't dive north of the airport just because of Seattle traffic.

If you're willing to come South (at least as far as Sea Tac), Three Tree has, in my opinion, a very nice little wreck, a 24' Cabin Cruiser sunk on a slope with the deepest part being in the 70fsw range depending on the tide. It is intact, covered with life, "looks like a wrecked boat" (so is kind of cool in that regard), and very diveable - especially if you have someone who has been on it take you there. There isn't much worth "penetrating", and I would never do so because of the wiring hanging down in the cabin. You can see inside from the windows and the cabin door so there is really no reason to go inside - again I would strongly caution anyone from doing that.

Further South, at Sund Rock in Hood Canal there is an old wooden fishing trawler, perhaps 50-60' long, 15' high, on a slope, deepest part is maybe 60fsw depending on the tides. I dive this trawler 5-10 times a year, and it is always a great dive. It's a bit of a kick from the north wall, but all the cooler because the wreck "materializes" out of nowhere as you approach it on the sandy slope. This wreck is deteriorating pretty fast, being wood. We noticed how much of the deck has collapsed already, and in not too many more years this will also be a rubble pile.

Again, you can find out where each of these are and go on your own, but it's lots more fun with other divers who have been before.

Watch the planning section for the Thursday dive crew once we get through the Holidays - there are Three Tree dives all the time and there would always be someone willing to take you and your buddies there.

Both of these dives are among my favorite because of structure, lots of life for photography, and just general coolness.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Guess I should of been a little more clear on what i meant by Seattle Area... For me most anything between Federalway/Redondo and Shoreline/Lynnwood is Seattle Area... Seattle is so small to me compared to places like LA, Houston, Miami, NY that i just kind of extened my idea of Seattle out a bit farther then most. I also moved around alot and have lived from Federalway to Des Moines to White Center, To Tukwilla, West Seattle, All thru Seattle Both South & North and even have lived in Shoreline and Lynnwood a little before LOL...

I was thinking Three Tree, Redondo Or Des Moines... And yes depending on your idea of what Kickable VS Scootter is then those dives are either shore diviable for you or not.

I was reading about a dive in Des Moines call the Des Moines Wreck (Imagine That) that I am interested in diving. But you have to lug your gear a bit and down some tall stairs. Three Tree is an area I want to dive for some personal reasons (My pop had a dive shop out there in the 60s or 70s) and I heard it was great to dive. And I was invited to go out to redondo recently but dont think tuesday works for both of us.

Also I am interested in diving some of the different Lake Washington dives and wrecks but havent even done any research on lake Diving and those dives so I am gonna wait awhile on that. But definitly want to do some for sure soon as I hear there are some great dives out there but mos of them are too deep for me right now :help:

Tom Nic wrote:Alas, I know nothing in the Seattle area - but then I'm in the South End and generally don't dive north of the airport just because of Seattle traffic.

If you're willing to come South (at least as far as Sea Tac), Three Tree has, in my opinion, a very nice little wreck, a 24' Cabin Cruiser sunk on a slope with the deepest part being in the 70fsw range depending on the tide. It is intact, covered with life, "looks like a wrecked boat" (so is kind of cool in that regard), and very diveable - especially if you have someone who has been on it take you there. There isn't much worth "penetrating", and I would never do so because of the wiring hanging down in the cabin. You can see inside from the windows and the cabin door so there is really no reason to go inside - again I would strongly caution anyone from doing that.

Further South, at Sund Rock in Hood Canal there is an old wooden fishing trawler, perhaps 50-60' long, 15' high, on a slope, deepest part is maybe 60fsw depending on the tides. I dive this trawler 5-10 times a year, and it is always a great dive. It's a bit of a kick from the north wall, but all the cooler because the wreck "materializes" out of nowhere as you approach it on the sandy slope. This wreck is deteriorating pretty fast, being wood. We noticed how much of the deck has collapsed already, and in not too many more years this will also be a rubble pile.

Again, you can find out where each of these are and go on your own, but it's lots more fun with other divers who have been before.

Watch the planning section for the Thursday dive crew once we get through the Holidays - there are Three Tree dives all the time and there would always be someone willing to take you and your buddies there.

Both of these dives are among my favorite because of structure, lots of life for photography, and just general coolness.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do."
-Confucius
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

scubnewb wrote: Also I am interested in diving some of the different Lake Washington dives and wrecks but havent even done any research on lake Diving and those dives so I am gonna wait awhile on that. But definitly want to do some for sure soon as I hear there are some great dives out there but mos of them are too deep for me right now :help:
The bottom in the Lake is made up of several thousand years worth of rotted vegetation settling there. It's more like jello than a hard bottom. Kicking it up in a lot of areas results in 0 viz in a hurry. It's not that big of deal in practice, as long as you have good buoyancy control and a good non silting kick. Otherwise you won't see much...
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Phillip,

EUP is a good start for you. Personally, TTN does not compare to EUP with regard to physical structures sunken, IMHO. Now, what you see with regard to creatures varies from site to site. If what you're focused on experiencing and looking at are structures, then I would try EUP first. The long surface swim is the drag. Personally, surface swims doesn't bother me.

At EUP, there's the Fossil, the Pontoons, what's left of the Triumph, and many submerged boats (one of which was just submerged early this year-the white cabin cruiser).

Also, EUP is pretty much within the depth range you're looking at - a bit shallower even.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Yeah like I was saying, Im waiting awhile on that for a few reasons lol... Hoping to hit them by summer tho...
Nwbrewer wrote:
scubnewb wrote: Also I am interested in diving some of the different Lake Washington dives and wrecks but havent even done any research on lake Diving and those dives so I am gonna wait awhile on that. But definitly want to do some for sure soon as I hear there are some great dives out there but mos of them are too deep for me right now :help:
The bottom in the Lake is made up of several thousand years worth of rotted vegetation settling there. It's more like jello than a hard bottom. Kicking it up in a lot of areas results in 0 viz in a hurry. It's not that big of deal in practice, as long as you have good buoyancy control and a good non silting kick. Otherwise you won't see much...
-Confucius
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

EUP is fine with me as well, I just want to get out tuesday for sure...
coulterboy wrote:Phillip,

EUP is a good start for you. Personally, TTN does not compare to EUP with regard to physical structures sunken, IMHO. Now, what you see with regard to creatures varies from site to site. If what you're focused on experiencing and looking at are structures, then I would try EUP first. The long surface swim is the drag. Personally, surface swims doesn't bother me.

At EUP, there's the Fossil, the Pontoons, what's left of the Triumph, and many submerged boats (one of which was just submerged early this year-the white cabin cruiser).

Also, EUP is pretty much within the depth range you're looking at - a bit shallower even.
-Confucius
Mateo1147
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Mateo1147 »

I am up for a Tuesday dive at EUP. Have you decided on a splash time yet? I will check back for any updates over the weekend.
You breath like a girl! -Blaiz
I thought she was right until I dove with eliseaboo!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

There's a very nice little wreck off the west side of Vashon in 30fsw. The Anna Foss, she's in Scott's book but also swimmable from shore. I can't recall the name of the Vashon Park District park there. And I don't know how long the walk from your car might be since I have only dove her from my boat. But google maps will get you there if you're motivated.

Not current dependent. Maybe 100yd swim. West Seattle to Vashon ferry and then a short drive to the park.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

anything after Noon usually works for me...

Vashon wouldnt be a bad idea, I just went there for the first time the other day to look at a yatch recently and was surprised on how easy and quick you could get there...
Mateo1147 wrote:I am up for a Tuesday dive at EUP. Have you decided on a splash time yet? I will check back for any updates over the weekend.
-Confucius
Dive Monkey
Aquaphile

Post by Dive Monkey »

The tug Murph off of Maury Island Is a really cool wreck dive in shallow water. The tug is all intact and standing upright. You do need a boat to get to it though. If I didn't have the fuel tank ripped out of my boat right now i would say lets do it!
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

CaptnJack wrote:There's a very nice little wreck off the west side of Vashon in 30fsw. The Anna Foss, she's in Scott's book but also swimmable from shore. I can't recall the name of the Vashon Park District park there. And I don't know how long the walk from your car might be since I have only dove her from my boat. But google maps will get you there if you're motivated.

Not current dependent. Maybe 100yd swim. West Seattle to Vashon ferry and then a short drive to the park.
+1. Very fun wreck.

There's also the Barbara G at Harper's
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Lisabeula Park
CaptnJack wrote:There's a very nice little wreck off the west side of Vashon in 30fsw. The Anna Foss, she's in Scott's book but also swimmable from shore. I can't recall the name of the Vashon Park District park there. And I don't know how long the walk from your car might be since I have only dove her from my boat. But google maps will get you there if you're motivated.

----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Mateo1147
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Mateo1147 »

Ok scubnewb where are we going? That wreck off the west side of Vashon sounds cool or one of the many other suggestions. You started the thread so I will let you pick. I will be over all week with nothing to do but dive!
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Well tomorrows Tuesday so if anyone wants to hit up EUP in the afternoon send me a message...
-Confucius
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

I could hit EUP at 2:00. Anyone want to meet?
Mateo1147
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Mateo1147 »

We have a tenative plan to meet at 2:30-3:00. I hope you can make it!
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Sounds good!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

BDub wrote:

+1. Very fun wreck.

There's also the Barbara G at Harper's
And the minesweeper in Colvos Passage north of Gig Harbor and the other minesweeper off President's Point near Indianola. Neither really in "Seattle area" since they are Pierce and Kitsap County respectively but I'm pretty sure both can be done from shore.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

great dive today guys, thanks...
-Confucius