90 deg reg elbow

General topics about technical diving.
spatman
I've Got Gills

90 deg reg elbow

Post by spatman »

I like the elbows because they route the hoses cleanly. And I like custom hose lengths for the same reason. To each their own.
limeyx
Aquaphile

Re: 90 deg reg elbow

Post by limeyx »

CaptnJack wrote:Believe it or not I bought the $12 non-swivel elbow from Piranah.
Tried it with a 28" reg hose, ack way too short!
Tried it with a 37" reg hose, ack way too long!

I don't have the "just right" length reg hose (32"?) to use the elbow so I took it off for now.
Hey Threadjacker! Start your own thread if you want to post useful info.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

BDub wrote:Having done a couple of dives with Richard in his Razor, I guess I'm qualified as an expert now...

Honestly, I don't see the need for the elbows, fittings, etc. Get the proper length hose, and route it like you would a stage or deco bottle.

I see the necessity for keeping it super tight if you're using sm for its original purpose of negotiating tight restrictions. But for open water diving, or in Richard's case of it being a matter of the logistics/distance of hiking the tanks in and not restrictions, just get the proper length hose and be done with it.
I think 38-40" or so will be fine. I'm trying that on the next outing (minus the elbow), which I think Is on the 11th with Spatty and Jake. To 2 Lake WA wrecks.
Nwbrewer wrote:5/16 is perfect for hp 100's.
The 1/4" has been ok. Its wicked tight so what I really need is a "tab" to be able to pull the bungie off the valve at the end of the dive. The 5/16" at West Marine is nice not only because its less stretchy under the weight of an hp100 but its white so I can see it way better too. The razor came with boltsnaps, black bungie, and hog rings for 2 neck bungie setups.
spatman wrote:I like the elbows because they route the hoses cleanly. And I like custom hose lengths for the same reason. To each their own.
I'd prefer whatever length I can easily replace in Port Hardy BC, Puerto Aventuras MX, or anywhere in between. 40" is a standard recreational octopus length so if that works without the elbow I will go back to that. Its not like its going to stick out past my shoulder or anything.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

CaptnJack wrote: No way I'm taking those things in any kind of overhead.

Richard, you're one of the smartest people I know, so I want to hear the rational and objective argument against them. Fear of the unknown wont' cut it. I hold you to a higher standard than that (and I am totally open to having you convince me my opinion in this matter is wrong.)

These fittings utilize an identical hose-retention method as AN fittings (short for Army/Navy, as it was developed and adopted by these branches as a joint project). AN flexible hose fittings are used extensively in military, aviation, motorsports, and aerospace applications for high-pressure flexible hose couplings. There are probably hundreds of them on every commercial airliner you've ever flown on.

I will concede that the silent diving fittings lack one specific element of a true AN fitting, and that is a swivel between hard points. But the hose retention portion is identical. The hose is engaged by threads both internally and externally. The threads are pitched in opposition rendering it impossible to unwind the hose from the fitting without using a PAIR of wrenches. Applying enough torque to the hose can unwind it from the regulator but you can do the same with a crimped hose. I believe that if you held the fitting with a single wrench (to prevent it from disengaging from the regulator) and applied sufficient torque to the hose you would literally tear the hose before you could separate it from the fitting. This is because regardless of which direction you twist the hose you force it deeper into one of either the nipple or collar (because they are pitched in opposite directions.)

-Ben :angelblue:
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

airsix wrote:

Richard, you're one of the smartest people I know, so I want to hear the rational and objective argument against them. Fear of the unknown wont' cut it. I hold you to a higher standard than that (and I am totally open to having you convince me my opinion in this matter is wrong.)

These fittings utilize an identical hose-retention method as AN fittings (short for Army/Navy, as it was developed and adopted by these branches as a joint project). AN flexible hose fittings are used extensively in military, aviation, motorsports, and aerospace applications for high-pressure flexible hose couplings. There are probably hundreds of them on every commercial airliner you've ever flown on.

I will concede that the silent diving fittings lack one specific element of a true AN fitting, and that is a swivel between hard points. But the hose retention portion is identical. The hose is engaged by threads both internally and externally. The threads are pitched in opposition rendering it impossible to unwind the hose from the fitting without using a PAIR of wrenches. Applying enough torque to the hose can unwind it from the regulator but you can do the same with a crimped hose. I believe that if you held the fitting with a single wrench (to prevent it from disengaging from the regulator) and applied sufficient torque to the hose you would literally tear the hose before you could separate it from the fitting. This is because regardless of which direction you twist the hose you force it deeper into one of either the nipple or collar (because they are pitched in opposite directions.)

+1.

The first hose I used was one that was old and crappy as I planned to use it for destructive testing. I put the fitting on, and clamped it in my bench vise. I then proceeded to do my best to separate hose from fitting. I twisted with pliers, I pulled with my foot on the bench, I gave it some good solid yanks to provide some dynamic loading. Nothing. Didn't even budge. Having looked at the the swaged end that I cut off to put that fitting on, I'm convinced that these fittings are at least as solid if not more so than the swaged fittings.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
spatman
I've Got Gills

90 deg reg elbow

Post by spatman »

+1 to what Ben and Jake said, since I certainly couldn't say it any better.

If you're dead set against them in a cave, at least they'd be helpful determining what length hose is optimal while you're still figuring it all out.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Nwbrewer wrote:
airsix wrote:

+1.

The first hose I used was one that was old and crappy as I planned to use it for destructive testing. I put the fitting on, and clamped it in my bench vise. I then proceeded to do my best to separate hose from fitting. I twisted with pliers, I pulled with my foot on the bench, I gave it some good solid yanks to provide some dynamic loading. Nothing. Didn't even budge. Having looked at the the swaged end that I cut off to put that fitting on, I'm convinced that these fittings are at least as solid if not more so than the swaged fittings.

You guys CLEARLY don't grasp how hostile the cave environment is. Nothing less than welded uberanium 5th dimensional threads and tyranosaur foreskin gaskets could possibly work.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Joshua Smith wrote:Nothing less than welded uberanium 5th dimensional threads and tyranosaur foreskin gaskets could possibly work.
I've got the Trojan Magnums but none of the other stuff. : (
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

airsix wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:Nothing less than welded uberanium 5th dimensional threads and tyranosaur foreskin gaskets could possibly work.
me too :angelblue:

For me the less crap I can have in an overhead the better honestly. And with those fittings in particular I have 2 beefs, the lack of swivel is one and the other is just having another set of threads. The BC cave in particular is wicked hard on gear. We broke alot of stuff last time we tried diving it 2 yrs ago. Knives, lights, 2nd stages - being in dry gloves with cold hands humping gear through/over a dry section just bangs everything up alot more than I ever would have imagined. I'm sure those fitting are fine, I just want to avoid as much non-standard sized oriented stuff as possible as its highly likely we'll be heading into the poe-dunk dive shop in Port McNeil trying to fix something.

My big issues are actually not the razor or SM oriented at all. They're getting a CF200 suit, getting suit heat set-up, figuring out which light I want to bring and/or getting a new light head, and finding a caving helmet which will fit over my hood.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

CaptnJack wrote:
airsix wrote:
me too :angelblue:

For me the less crap I can have in an overhead the better honestly. And with those fittings in particular I have 2 beefs, the lack of swivel is one and the other is just having another set of threads. The BC cave in particular is wicked hard on gear. We broke alot of stuff last time we tried diving it 2 yrs ago. Knives, lights, 2nd stages - being in dry gloves with cold hands humping gear through/over a dry section just bangs everything up alot more than I ever would have imagined. I'm sure those fitting are fine, I just want to avoid as much non-standard sized oriented stuff as possible as its highly likely we'll be heading into the poe-dunk dive shop in Port McNeil trying to fix something.

My big issues are actually not the razor or SM oriented at all. They're getting a CF200 suit, getting suit heat set-up, figuring out which light I want to bring and/or getting a new light head, and finding a caving helmet which will fit over my hood.
Cherry picker.

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Joshua Smith wrote:Cherry picker.
Totally, I believe I am the original cherry picker

(if not me its Steding)
limeyx
Aquaphile

Post by limeyx »

CaptnJack wrote:

(if not me its Steding)
Please tell me you didn't try to pick Stedings cherry.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

limeyx wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:

(if not me its Steding)
He picked my strawberry
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

CaptnJack wrote:
limeyx wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:

(if not me its Steding)
He picked my strawberry

Ewww.

BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

CaptnJack wrote:
limeyx wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:

(if not me its Steding)
He picked my strawberry
I don't think it was Steding who picked your strawberry
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I am pretty sure I bought those strawberry condoms and Steding was stuck with it on his O2 bottle :angelblue:
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

CaptnJack wrote:I am pretty sure I bought those strawberry condoms and Steding was stuck with it on his O2 bottle :angelblue:
I was referring to what you and Nick are doing in the hot tub :luv:

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
limeyx
Aquaphile

Post by limeyx »

BDub wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:I am pretty sure I bought those strawberry condoms and Steding was stuck with it on his O2 bottle :angelblue:
I was referring to what you and Nick are doing in the hot tub :luv:
Thread Closed! Nothing to see here.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

BDub wrote: I was referring to what you and Nick are doing in the hot tub :luv:
I know he's an awful sub for Jeanna
limeyx
Aquaphile

Post by limeyx »

CaptnJack wrote:
...this has taken an unexpected turn.
spatman
I've Got Gills

90 deg reg elbow

Post by spatman »

limeyx wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:
Not for this forum. ;)
limeyx
Aquaphile

Post by limeyx »

spatman wrote:
limeyx wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:
Not for this forum. ;)
...allow me to rephrase.
..."This thread is taking an undesirable turn..."
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

CaptnJack wrote:
:rofl: I wouldn't know...

Waitaminute... :eek: