Was the SS Dix found or not?????

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Chris Borgen
Compulsive Diver

Was the SS Dix found or not?????

Post by Chris Borgen »

Heard the other day from my buddy Erik that his son read that the wreck found in Elliott Bay was not the SS Dix but a tugboat. When I looked at Oceangates website and the photos of what was originally being called the SS Dix, are now being called the Elliot Bay wreck. Also the 3rd image on the flashplayer on their homepage says Elliott Bay wreck and appears to be not a mosquito fleet shaped wreck but more of a tug/workboat. Does anyone have any information or know anything about this?? Are their any photos or video showing any positive identification of the wreck that was found? Thanks
Maritime Documentation Society
http://www.maritimedocumentation.org
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Re: Was the SS Dix found or not?????

Post by ljjames »

it's old, it's wood, single screw, narrow beam, it has one stack and some davit mounts, some superstructure and a big area of either missing stuff or as you mention, work-boat space. last I heard it was not id'd as any of the vessels know to have sunk out there. there is a good size contact just off the wreck that they did not get a look at, which might contain items to assist with identification. but as stated on the site it is being called 'unknown'.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
rjw
Aquanaut

Post by rjw »

OK, help me out here as I've been out of the diving loop for a few months now.
So It hasn't been identified now? What about all the media attention saying the DIX had been found? Was this all in error?
No amount of Helium can make a dumbass smart. - Chatterton
FOTTF
Life's been good to me so far
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

ljjames wrote:it's old, it's wood, single screw, narrow beam, it has one stack and some davit mounts, some superstructure and a big area of either missing stuff or as you mention, work-boat space. last I heard it was not id'd as any of the vessels know to have sunk out there. there is a good size contact just off the wreck that they did not get a look at, which might contain items to assist with identification. but as stated on the site it is being called 'unknown'.
Mis identification or oops we are not so sure now is pretty damn common in the Archaeology world. #-o . For example they are still fighting as to weather the ship in North Carolina is the Queen Ann's Revenge. Evidence points to that being the most likely suspect and it sure makes the project more sexy to say it the QAR. However we may never be sure. :dontknow:
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/