Travel Gas labeling and Counter Diffusion

General topics about technical diving.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Travel Gas labeling and Counter Diffusion

Post by CaptnJack »

Gotcha. Who makes those straps or are they DIY?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
doublesunder
Aquaphile

Post by doublesunder »

CaptnJack wrote:Gotcha. Who makes those straps or are they DIY?

Dive Rite makes the mount, it works really well for an al-6. I was thinking the Reef pony tamer, have you had any experience? The Tiger Mount seems a little expensive.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

doublesunder wrote:

Dive Rite makes the mount, it works really well for an al-6. I was thinking the Reef pony tamer, have you had any experience? The Tiger Mount seems a little expensive.
I don't like hard metal to metal connections on stuff like this, esp. those behind your back or mostly out of sight.

The reef system has the pin but I had a pin attached pony once and it didn't always want to release - even in the dry nevermind tangled or stuck somewhere UW. (different system but same idea) The tiger mount suffers from the same issue IMO.

I have 2 sets of the velco straps Lamont posted above. They are ~6 years old with maybe 200dives on them and they still work fine. Cost about $50 in 2004 (?). And I know if the bottle got tangled in a cable, wire fishing leader, or other impossible to cut material I could just rip the bottle loose and get outa there.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
doublesunder
Aquaphile

Post by doublesunder »

CaptnJack wrote:
doublesunder wrote:

I don't like hard metal to metal connections on stuff like this, esp. those behind your back or mostly out of sight.

The reef system has the pin but I had a pin attached pony once and it didn't always want to release - even in the dry nevermind tangled or stuck somewhere UW. (different system but same idea) The tiger mount suffers from the same issue IMO.

I have 2 sets of the velco straps Lamont posted above. They are ~6 years old with maybe 200dives on them and they still work fine. Cost about $50 in 2004 (?). And I know if the bottle got tangled in a cable, wire fishing leader, or other impossible to cut material I could just rip the bottle loose and get outa there.

No problem with bottle sliding down I presume ? Local Halcyon dealer around ?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

doublesunder wrote: No problem with bottle sliding down I presume ?
Nope its kinda rubbery on the inside. They are snugger if attached wet but work dry too.

For OW dives I would keep your existing mount and get an AL6. Its plenty of inflation gas more 2-3 recreational dives or 1-2 tech dives. The al13s and 14s, when backmounted, don't fit on boat benches and tank racks very well.
doublesunder
Aquaphile

Post by doublesunder »

CaptnJack wrote:
doublesunder wrote: No problem with bottle sliding down I presume ?
Nope its kinda rubbery on the inside. They are snugger if attached wet but work dry too.

For OW dives I would keep your existing mount and get an AL6. Its plenty of inflation gas more 2-3 recreational dives or 1-2 tech dives. The al13s and 14s, when backmounted, don't fit on boat benches and tank racks very well.

Six's are great if they have a booster :partydance:
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

doublesunder wrote:

I believe I have one of those Reef Pony Tamers in my spare parts bin. I'd be happy to let it go real cheap. Ping me if you're interested.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
limeyx
Aquaphile

Post by limeyx »

CaptnJack wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:[

And after running out of inflation gas for about the 75th tech dive in a row, I switched over to a 13 cf bottle.....of course, as was recently pointed out in another thread, I use my suit for buoyancy, so I use a lot more gas there. And I kept the same location with the bottle. Why do you move locations for a bigger bottle?
The 13cf under the arm pinches the wing and with stages on generally makes everything crowded in the armpit. I have 2 al6s and 2 al13s. I actually prefer the 13s as I'm lazy and I don't need to fill them full-full to get a couple dives out of them. I'd like some lp14s even better but they aren't made anymore and I can justify buying more inflation tanks.
Got me a nice LP14 :) 14cft at 2015 !!!
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

I've got an LP13 sitting on the floor in my dive locker. I've been using Scotts argon setup and am in the process of working a deal with him to keep it. 0] So if anyone likes the lp's with the Halcyon rig (Like Lamonts picture), let me know. 0]

D
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

doublesunder

I hope no one minds an off topic question. Your avatar shows the central valve on your doubles sticking straight up. I've never seen that before. Is that a new, better way? If so, what is better about it?
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
doublesunder
Aquaphile

Post by doublesunder »

Thanks for all the tips everyone, the Halcyon's are on order.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

ArcticDiver wrote:doublesunder

I hope no one minds an off topic question. Your avatar shows the central valve on your doubles sticking straight up. I've never seen that before. Is that a new, better way? If so, what is better about it?
Looks pretty normal to me, maybe canted towards the back of the head by 10degrees. It all depends on how high or low on your back the tank valves sit (which is a function of the band location, tank size, and shoulder strap length), on how much room you want to leave to tilt your head back, and how accessible the knob is to your hand between the regs which is partially dependent on hose routing and shoulder flexibility.

I tilt most of mine towards the head more but its doesn't really do much except make the knob align with my hand/wrist better. People with different arm lengths, tanks, shoulders or necks can adjust differently for them just ducky.
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Post by kitsapdiver »

+1 to what RJ said. I like mine almost exactly like you see it in the Avatar. When I'm in trim and have my head up reach back keeping my elbow in tight I feel that the valve just fits better in my hand.
THE Ohio State University
Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

OK on isolation valve position. The reasoning fits. I only asked because I had never seen that before and a couple folks from the more doctrinaire diving disciplines emphasized a different position.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Post by kitsapdiver »

ArcticDiver wrote:OK on isolation valve position. The reasoning fits. I only asked because I had never seen that before and a couple folks from the more doctrinaire diving disciplines emphasized a different position.
I guess I'm curious as to what you mean by "doctrinaire diving disciplines". If your elluding to the idea that UTD and GUE hardcores would not allow such a thing, I think you need to revisit that notion.
THE Ohio State University
Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan