diving from a kayak

General banter about diving and why we love it.
bucknaked
Submariner

diving from a kayak

Post by bucknaked »

Any one have personal experience doing this? If so any suggestions on how to set said kayak up good places to go what to wacth out for ect thanks matt
archaeofish
Aquaphile

Re: diving from a kayak

Post by archaeofish »

Hi Matt,
Yes, there is a small group of kayak divers in the Seattle area and I'm working on building up a group of kayak dive buddies here in Portland. I've got a couple of sit-on-top kayaks that I've rigged for diving and I would be happy to show you how I've equipped them and dive them in different conditions. Diving from a kayak opens up a whole new set of dive sites, it's reasonably inexpensive, and frankly I'm surprised more people aren't doing it. It's a really good idea though to get out and practice the skills before you do an open-water dive from a kayak, especially if you're not familiar with kayaks. Send me a PM if you'd ever like to meet up and give it a try or if you'd like to meet up with some people in the Puget Sound area who are regularly doing kayak dives,

Ross
While it's generally acknowledged that wetsuit divers are a shade or two crazier than the rest of us, we're all special idiots for voluntarily diving in dark, cold, water! - scottsax
bucknaked
Submariner

Post by bucknaked »

I have only fished from mine.I have looked online for info but have not come across alot of articles/video.
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

Some of Betty Pratt-Johnson's books have information about Kayak diving in them. Used copies of 101 dives are easy to find.

Good Luck,
archaeofish
Aquaphile

Post by archaeofish »

bucknaked wrote:I have only fished from mine.I have looked online for info but have not come across alot of articles/video.
Here are three sites that I've used to get some ideas for rigging my kayak:

http://www.sit-on-topkayaking.com/Artic ... e/Dive.htm

http://www.sonic.net/~rocky/kayakequip.htm

http://jimspears.net/kayakdiving/topics.htm

What kind of kayak do you have and how heavy are you with your scuba kit?
While it's generally acknowledged that wetsuit divers are a shade or two crazier than the rest of us, we're all special idiots for voluntarily diving in dark, cold, water! - scottsax
bucknaked
Submariner

Post by bucknaked »

I have a emotion angler series kayak.I am about 325 with all my gear weights and extrea tank.
bucknaked
Submariner

Post by bucknaked »

Thanks for the links matt
Ranbal
Just Settling In

Post by Ranbal »

Just wanted to offer my two cents worth.
My girlfriend and I had bought two Wilderness Ride 135's a couple years ago. It was our plan to have more access to more dive sites and for the most part we were successful in our quest for better access.
However, the yaks had proved to be unbearably difficult for my girlfriend to paddle while loaded down with all of her gear. Granted, she is quite petite but the yaks did paddle like a barge fully loaded. She hated it but did it.
The diving was great. Getting in and out of the yaks was cake. As for stability of the 135's I could sit on the side of it all geared up and couldn't flip it over. Yep, solid kayak.
The real problem we encountered and on several occasions was getting the kayaks to stay where we left them. I did not want to tow them around so we would anchor them and tie them off to kelp and still I would stress out the entire dive wondering if the kayaks would stay put. Several times they didn't. After a few very long surface swims in challenging waters to retrieve our wayward boats we said enough is enough.
I still believe it is a great way to explore different diving areas. I hope you have better luck than we did.
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

Towing them is the only way to go. It's not allways easy especially if there is wind but you know they are up there and you don't have to worry about finding them again!
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

I forgot to mention, you should clip them to you. It's easy to get narced and let go of them...