Anyone up for GUE Fundies class this weekend?

Discuss Team Diving here.
Diver_C
Amphibian

Anyone up for GUE Fundies class this weekend?

Post by Diver_C »

The GUE/DIR Fundamentals course starts this Friday, that is if one additional person signs up. Right now, I am the only one. The cost is $450 and is Friday to Monday. Course description can be viewed here! The class essentially helps and evaluates basic diving proficiency such as equipment configuration, diving trim (how horizontal are you Image), diving awareness (where's your buddy/team Image), emergency drills (ooa Image, valve drills, et cetera). Don't need to be in double tanks, singles are just fine, but do need backplate and wing set-up. There is no workbook to complete, and the book is easy reading (I have it if you want to borrow it). If interested, please contact Steve White at stephenawhite@hotmail.com.

Rich
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Sounds like a good course, any training is good training IMHO. I have heard that if you dont pass your "fundies" in that weekend you have to pay for the full course again? Good luck Diver_C, im sure the training will be money well spent. :supz:
Who run barter town?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

1) Its not about passing or failing, its about being a better diver.
2) If you aren't quite up to standards there's a provisional rating, you'll have 6 months to get re-evaluated, no charge. Regardless, Steve's a very good instructor.
After 6 months or if you need more instruction and are unlikely to get all the skills without it, yes you will need to take the class again.

Diver_C, if this doesn't come together for you on short notice, contact dsteding on this board there may be space in the upcoming class he's booked.

Richard
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Darn it, our class is full. I'm almost tempted to come out and do the class with you . . . and then do it again in April.

Matt, no comments from the peanut gallery :bootyshake:
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

With summer coming, the time for this class is waning, at least until late fall, so hopefully someone signs up. That valve drill will be the death of my shoulders though. :-({|= ](*,) I'm doing the class in my doubles only because I can reach those knobs easier. I'm right handed, but my right shoulder is a little messed up. It aches a little just thinking about that drill. Sigh...
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

I took this class with only 25 dives. Everyone, if you just think you aren't 'ready' yet and need to practice more, then you're probably 'ready'.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

This class was probably the single best thing I've done for my diving. It made me more comfortable, more stable, more maneuverable, and a better dive buddy. Steve's a great teacher, and I obviously believe that, because I just subjected myself to three more days in the pressure cooker, doing Rec Triox!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

No one signed up for the class besides me, so Steve cancelled it this morning. Oh well...
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Don't give up -- give it another try later in the year. It's well worth doing.

It always makes me shake my head when one of these cancels, although I'll admit nobody makes much of an effort to publicize them.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

How many people does he need to sign up to do the class. I won't be doing it this time around, but you never know. I'd have to get some equipment first, and that $450 is a choker, but I'm scottish, so that automatically makes me ... :bootyshake:
I don't mind losing, but I do mind sucking!
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

Evidently three students is max for class, as the April class is full and there are only three students signed up. Yes, $450 sucks, but there are three long days of class, and some on the fourth day, so it's not just some cake-walk of a class and there are more people involved than just the instructor.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Diver_C wrote:Evidently three students is max for class, as the April class is full and there are only three students signed up. .
Six is actually the max, we organized the class with three because GUE allows a three person class to be done over three full days. With the larger student/teacher ratio of a six person class GUE requires 4 days of instruction.

Given our busy schedules, keeping the class to three people made sense. I actually worked with Steve on scheduling this class for myself and two friends, it took a while to sort out schedules, but I think it will work out great.

When it comes down to it, $450 is a bargain for the training. With Steve (usually) in town, he's more than willing to dive with his students and work you towards getting up to standards. I am a bit of a kool-aid drinker to boot, and I like the GUE/DIR philosophy-especially the clear route to the use of helium through rec triox (Matt, stop groaning).

Honestly, I'd recommend finding two friends and setting up a class like we did. Schedule it well ahead of time, and get to know each other by diving together a bit.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

You get what you pay for training-wise. I definately didn't learn much in my $99 OW class (back in '92). I'm still surprised I survived my first ~60 dives afterwards.

Anyway, IMO $450 for 3.5 full days is CHEAP! \:D/

My Cave1 :supz: (including tanks, fills, entrance fees, and MX national taxes) was $1300 for 5 days... plus airfare, plus hotel, plus rental car. I think the current price is $1650 (for 5 days).
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

CaptnJack wrote: My Cave1 :supz: (including tanks, fills, entrance fees, and MX national taxes) was $1300 for 5 days... plus airfare, plus hotel, plus rental car. I think the current price is $1650 (for 5 days).
It will end up a lot more expensive than that . . . what with the now-required annual trips to MX.
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

My goal is to get to Tech 1. Beyond that, I don't know...
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

If you can convince my wife that $450 is cheap, I've got beer and pizza waiting for you when you get here. \:D/
I don't mind losing, but I do mind sucking!
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Diver_C wrote:My goal is to get to Tech 1. Beyond that, I don't know...
That is about as far as I'd like to take things as well. Sounds like we should go for a dive together at some point, I'd be very interested in finding two or three people (the guys taking fundies with me may not pursue tech 1) to train with and get to tech 1.

My timeline isn't that aggressive. Fundies in April, rec triox when I'm ready, tech 1 after that. I'm right around 100 dives, I figure Tech 1 is at least another 200 dives off (I log about 100 dives a year).

PM me if you'd like to get a dive in at some point.

-Doug
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

If $450 is too expensive you might want to reconsider scuba, there are less expensive sports. You really don't want to cut corners on life support equipment or training, since you can't breath water.

$450 is less than most good BCs, and a 1/3rd the price of a typical drysuit. And that's for knowledge which will significantly impact your safety, comfort and enjoyment UW. Its still a bargain price for what you get IMO.

Richard
Last edited by CaptnJack on Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

dsteding wrote:
CaptnJack wrote: My Cave1 :supz: (including tanks, fills, entrance fees, and MX national taxes) was $1300 for 5 days... plus airfare, plus hotel, plus rental car. I think the current price is $1650 (for 5 days).
It will end up a lot more expensive than that . . . what with the now-required annual trips to MX.
Ummm, that just annual ain't gonna cut it. I'm aiming for biannual trips of a week+.

Its warm, beer is cheap, and the diving's awesome. Why go anywhere else? :prayer:
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

dsteding wrote: I am a bit of a kool-aid drinker ...
Serious understatement ... :salute:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Grateful Diver wrote:
dsteding wrote: I am a bit of a kool-aid drinker ...
Serious understatement ... :salute:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I think Doug pees Koolaid.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

:bootyshake:
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

Diver_C wrote:My goal is to get to Tech 1. Beyond that, I don't know...
when i had 25 dives i wanted to take DIRF and RecTriox and that was it

when i had 100 dives i wanted to take Tech1 and that was it

now with 250 dives i want to take Tech 2 and Cave 1 and that's it.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Sounds like you need a 12 step program.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
BbbleMkr
Aquaphile

Post by BbbleMkr »

Lamont, at some point your body is just going to give in and grow gills. It's like the man heading back to the drink in a happy form of devolution in action.

dd