Gauges

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
brownc9
Just Settling In

Gauges

Post by brownc9 »

So I'm pretty new to diving and am building up my first reg with an xtx50, an alpha 8, and my buddy's gauge set. I'm trying to do it on the cheap but also dont want to buy too many things twice. What is the go-to gauge set that will get me started for diving to tables and still have an insert for a computer and compass down the road? Or do most just go straight to the console all in one?
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Re: Gauges

Post by pensacoladiver »

since you mentioned "down the road", I will give you my down the road answer that I see most if not all of my dive buddies doing...

A single SPG, no boot that is clipped on your left hand side, thats about as cheap as you are going to get.

A wrist mount dive computer and a wrist mount compass. In the long run, that s the cheap way to go.

It has been my experience, especially here in Florida where divers qualify and buy gear by the truck load that the majority of them want the console so they have everyting they think they need in one stop shopping.

Problem as I see it, the console is bulky as all get out and sooner or later, many of the folks who stay with it and go out deeper than the first reef end up going to an SPG and wrist mount computer.

I sure didn't answer any of your questions did i? :pirate:
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

What P-diver said. Buy a wrist mount Suunto Sk-7compass and a brass and glass SPG. HOG makes some good reasonably priced ones. You can either get a bottom timer for tables like the Uwatec one or go for an inexpensive computer with bottom timer function like the alladin tec2g. If you want a console pm me I have a Suunto air integrated one I'm selling. But my recommendation would be for wrist mounted gauges. Hope hat helps.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

I agree with pensacoladiver.

Having the Computer and compass wrist mounted allows easy access without using a hand to hold the console while navigating, monitoring NDL/dive time etc. A single SPG clipped off with a bolt snap on your left side d-ring is easy to grab and glance at occasionaly and is simple. I'd recommend getting a good SPG made of brass with a glass face.

Here's a link to a recent thread about a good deal on a computer/compass gauge package:

http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17334

This set's in a console but you can always remove the parts from the boot and mount them however you'd like.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:What P-diver said.
1st: Hahahah pee diver

2nd: I bought a console, luckily you could take it apart and that's what I did. The only component I use from that setup still is the compass, which sits on my scooter.
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

I've got a junky old console I'll sell you for $20. I have honestly not tested it myself, but it has a pressure gauge and compass and a hose, plus an empty pocket where you could put a depth gauge. Are you coming to the club dive? We can throw it on a reg and see how it works. As far as I can tell the compass works great, and I had originally gotten it to have a backup compass. You would need a depth gauge still though, so it's not perfect.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Right now, LeisurePro has a special going on a console which has an Aladin Tec2g computer, a Uwatec compass, and an SPG for $250. You really can't beat that price, and if you decide later that you want to go to wrist gauges, the computer and compass pop out and can be put into Deep Sea supply boots, and the SPG is usable as is.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
brownc9
Just Settling In

Post by brownc9 »

Great info, thanks. The only kind of setup I've used is a console with a compass, spy, and depth gauge (separate gauges). I don't know anything else, like wrist mount gear. Was thinking for my compass that I'd get it on a retractor on my BC. I'm trying to get a feeler on what everyone else uses to get ideas. Thanks!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

+6 (?) for wrist mounted gauges
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

I started with a old wrist mount computer. Had a console with.depth, air compass. Got a really cool Oceanic Pro Plus computer now I wish I had my wrist mount back. Much easier to just look at your wrist than to fumble for my nifty computer.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Not sure if this would help you out but something to start out with I guess

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/spo/2830399500.html
Jeff Castor