Flagpole

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Flagpole

Post by Bric Martin »

Flagpole was really pretty today.

I watched the weather all week hoping to not get blown out at Flagpole today. I met Dale (Deepdiver) this morning and we left the boat ramp with calm conditions. A few minutes into the ride out the wind picked up and we had a really rough ride out. It was blowing hard enough we had some difficulty getting the anchor to hold. When we entered the water we had 2-3 foot chop with water splashing over the top of us, but everything settled down as we went down the line.

The knuckle is very pretty right now, there was color everywhere. The only small disapointment was that we had no octos out in the open, they are all sitting on eggs hidden away. We had moderate viz and the water was really cold (mid 40's), but we were pretty close to slack so no current at all.

Dale thanks for another great day!
IMG_6830.jpg
IMG_6721.jpg
IMG_6847.jpg
IMG_6723.jpg
IMG_6884.jpg
IMG_6897.jpg
Last edited by Bric Martin on Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Re: Flagpole

Post by kitsapdiver »

Man am I bummed now! I tried to dive Flagpole today with Raptor, but when we got to Mike's Beach Resort it was closed. Do you know what's going on there Bric?
THE Ohio State University
Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

kitsapdiver wrote:Man am I bummed now! I tried to dive Flagpole today with Raptor, but when we got to Mike's Beach Resort it was closed. Do you know what's going on there Bric?
Hey Austin..I think it is a temporary closure. It was open 2 weeks ago and I saw the gate was closed today. Were you going to use your scooter? That would have been a really difficult swim today.
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Nice report.... & as always, great pics Bric!
:supz:

MZ
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
wcricple
Frequent Bubbler

Post by wcricple »

You anchored? What happened to mooring buoy ?
Very nice pics, BTW.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Great pics! Post card quality!
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Awesome pics, Bric!
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Terrific photos, Bric. You've really mastered that camera.
Lonestar
Compulsive Diver

Post by Lonestar »

It is a pleasure to look at your photos, they're awesome. Thanks!
Tim McClung

22nd Annual Scott Firefighter Stair Climb, support it: http://www.llswa.org/site/TR/Events/Big ... fr_id=1280
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

nice shots! gorgeous sunrise!!
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Post by kitsapdiver »

blackwater wrote:
kitsapdiver wrote:Man am I bummed now! I tried to dive Flagpole today with Raptor, but when we got to Mike's Beach Resort it was closed. Do you know what's going on there Bric?
Hey Austin..I think it is a temporary closure. It was open 2 weeks ago and I saw the gate was closed today. Were you going to use your scooter? That would have been a really difficult swim today.
Yeah we ended up scootering around Sund Rock instead. Since we had the gas/deco gas for it we did some of the deepr stuff, and found some interesting stuff. As a matter of fact we plan on heading back this week sometime to do a lil' more exploration. Dove Sund Rock a million times but usually same old spots, so a scooter has really added some life to an old favorite. Even found the cloud sponge at Sund Rock!

By the way your pictures, as everyone else has already mentioned, are beautiful. I"ve seen your camera you wouldn't suspect it could take those wonderful shot, I would assume you had a ten-thousand dollar SLR/Light setup extrodinaire. It makes me look at my SeaLife, and wonder.... What Am I doing so Wrong?

I wouldn't believe that sunrise was WA. I would swear it was somewhere tropical if it werent' for the evergreens clipping the corners. Absolutely Wonderful!
THE Ohio State University
Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

*whistles* Awesome pictures!!
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Austin, when it comes to good photos, you either have that artist gene, or you don't.
Its skill, and innate ability.

I don't, my pics suck, and I just accept it.

its kind of like when I raced, I could drive a clapped out car and best every bigg budget boys with the studly go fast stuff.

But with a camera, I would still suck with a10k camera
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
FlyinV
Dive-aholic

Post by FlyinV »

Awesome photos!
I would be interested to learn more about your camera setup.

They sure look like you use some very expensive gear .. if you are getting shots like this with regular gear I would certainly love to hear some tips :)
Jeff V
Octo Buddy Dive Tours - www.octobuddy.com
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

FlyinV wrote:Awesome photos!
I would be interested to learn more about your camera setup.

They sure look like you use some very expensive gear .. if you are getting shots like this with regular gear I would certainly love to hear some tips :)
If you go look at his picasaweb pages, they've got hte EXIF info. Here's a direct link to the info for his sunrise shot: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/4 ... -exif=true

Tips: Learn your camera inside and out, Practice, read lots of photography books/magazines/forums/websites, Practice, Practice, and then go Practice. At least that's the sort of advice I've been given :partydance:

Jim
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

When it comes to making art (like, for example, Scott Lundy does) you have the gene or you simply don't.

But even those of us without it can learn to take pictures other people enjoy looking at. Some of it is equipment (my photographs improved HUGELY when I switched to the EPL-1 camera) but a lot of it is technique -- learning not to shoot down, getting close to the subject, and thinking about composition before you take the shot. Having lived with a passionate photographer for a long time now, and hanging out with a bunch of really good underwater photographers, I've absorbed enough to improve my pictures a lot.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Octoloco
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Octoloco »

Bric obviously has the genes! Those are simply lovely shots Bric!
Dive by Shooting!!

Kathy