Fox Island - 3/3

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Fox Island - 3/3

Post by Scubie Doo »

Met up with Rob3, mpenders, and Charlie for Fox Island diving. Our first dive took us to Fox Island East Wall, and Penders timed this perfectly. We started with a slight current that nudged us north. This took us to a shallow slope toward the end of the wall. Once the current slacked and then turned we were gently pulled south to some really nice structure. We definitely want to try this dive again and explore the south side more. The highlight of this dive was a good sized opalescent squid out in the open. I managed to get two good shots of it. However, it was too large for my macro lens, so I failed to get the whole thing in one shot. I chased it a bit over to Penders and as soon as his camera came up, it shot up the wall. So he didn't get a chance to get a picture (however, he redeemed himself on the 2nd dive).

Speaking of the second dive, Charlie bailed and so the three of us drove over to Fox Island West. I have to tell you, this dive was fantastic! We must have seen 10 varieties of nudibranchs. Rob briefed us on where to find the small wall/ledge and we swam right over to it. As previously mentioned, Penders (inspired by Tom N.) got an awesome sequence of a giant nudibranch lunging at a tube-dwelling anemone. I was really jealous I did not at least see this. Rob also got his camera dialed in and captured some nudibranchs I have never seen before. Overall fantastic day, and Fox Island really delivered for us!

Rob and Mike, sorry for calling you out on the photos. Now you have to post them :smt064
Attachments
Opalescent Squid
Opalescent Squid
Opalescent Squid
Opalescent Squid
Giant Nudibranch
Giant Nudibranch
Egg Ribbon
Egg Ribbon
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: Fox Island - 3/3

Post by Tom Nic »

Wonderful shots! Love the Opalescent Squid!

Can't wait to see more Giant Nudi shots...

I really need to get out there and do both these dives again. It is a really great dive day when you have a good exchange (East Wall) and a follow up (West Wall),
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Fox Island - 3/3

Post by cardiver »

Great shots, Jesse! I'd love to do a night dive at WW soon.......
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Great shots, thanks for sharing
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

Scubie Doo wrote:
Rob and Mike, sorry for calling you out on the photos. Now you have to post them :smt064
Nope.

Won't do it.

Can't 'make me.

Okay......but not because you made me, but because I wanted to - so there :bootyshake:

During our dive on the West Wall, I came across a Giant Nudibranch sizing up an anemone, and sat still and waited for the show. Credit to TomNic for his writeup a few months back where he detailed a similar encounter - otherwise I likely would have missed the photo op.
Giant Nudibranch Stalking 1.JPG
Giant Nudibranch Stalking 2.JPG
Giant Nudibranch Stalking 3.JPG
Giant Nudibranch Stalking 4.JPG
Giant Nudibranch Stalking 5.JPG
Giant Nudibranch Stalking 6.JPG
It was my first time diving off Fox Island, and both dives rocked. :supz:

Something to know/remember: the access point to the East Wall is padlocked, with a sign stating that the park opens 1 hour before sunrise and closes 1 hour after sundown. However, the park "host" didn't show up until after 7am. I was getting worried we would lose our slack-tide window - not a trivial issue when diving the Narrows. I later found something online that stated the park opened at 7am - maybe winter hours? Regardless, one should include park access hours when planning dives at this site.

Mike
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

And Jesse - nice shots on the squid! Wish the little bugger would have given me a shot at him too...
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

cardiver wrote:Great shots, Jesse! I'd love to do a night dive at WW soon.......
+1
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Picture #4 is the bomb! I think it is a contest winner :-) Thanks for posting dude!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

cardiver wrote:Great shots, Jesse! I'd love to do a night dive at WW soon.......
I am game anytime, let's do it! I am sure Rob3 and Penders would join us too. Parking is limited so we may have to carpool. Can you dive from an SUV? I don't want to throw off your mojo.
bucknaked
Submariner

Post by bucknaked »

Those are some awesome pics
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Crazy Cool Pics!! :supz:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Scubie Doo wrote:Picture #4 is the bomb! I think it is a contest winner :-) Thanks for posting dude!
And #4 just needs the caption: "Nom nom nom!!!"

Those are GREAT shots Mike!

JIm
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

:supz: Great pictures, indeed! :notworthy:
How exciting!
Hmm, West Wall at night?
Now that would even be worth two dives, on a Thursday :smt064
I also would like to dive Fox Island Bridge some time. :burntchef:

Keith.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Okay, Round 2! Mike, Rob, and I hit Fox Island for a little night diving on 3/8. I had to witness the Giant Nudibranch stalking the Tube Anemones for myself. I was fortunate to witness two attacks. The first was awesome. I sat and watched the nudibranch actually dive into the tube and get the anemone. It was a cool experience! Thanks Tom for revealing this several weeks ago, what a great site/experience. It amazes me that after 200+ dives in the Sound I can still see things that completely amaze me.

"The Kill"
http://jessemiller.smugmug.com/Underwat ... &lb=1&s=X2

"The Site"
http://jessemiller.smugmug.com/Photogra ... &k=xkWwKRZ
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

sorry duplicate post
Last edited by Dusty2 on Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Awesome photos Guys! That second squid shot is to die for!

I am jealous! I will never get to do the east wall. Way too tough to get to for this old dude! West wall now that sounds interesting. Love those giant nudies. We lucked out one afternoon at sund rock and witnessed about a dozen or more grouped together for an orgy. What a treat!
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Fantastic photos everyone!
I haven't been to Fox Island in awhile. I need to get out there.
Thanks for sharing.
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Fox Island - 3/3

Post by Scubie Doo »

Thanks Rich. I was pretty excited to see the squid out in the open.