SS Bunker Hill, or "Lessons Born in Flood"

General topics about technical diving.
limeyx
Aquaphile

Re: SS Bunker Hill, or "Lessons Born in Flood"

Post by limeyx »

BDub wrote:Ouch. I had a wet deco on the Warren Car today, but nowhere near the deco time you had!

Glad to hear you got on the wreck, and nice report!

Thanks for the report!
Please tell me you accidentally brought your old suit, not the new!
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

limeyx wrote:
BDub wrote:Ouch. I had a wet deco on the Warren Car today, but nowhere near the deco time you had!

Glad to hear you got on the wreck, and nice report!

Thanks for the report!
Please tell me you accidentally brought your old suit, not the new!
Hehe, user error. I think my neck seal is still a tad too tight. It rolled
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
loanwolf
Pelagic

Re: SS Bunker Hill, or

Post by loanwolf »

Joshua Smith wrote:
loanwolf wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:
loanwolf wrote:Are you guys slated to go out and do the stern yet?
Nope. We've been talking about it, though. The Stern is turtled upside down, so there isn't as much to see, but some of us want to get a look at the screws- that would be worth a dive, I think.
Depending on how the sand is piled up around the base (aka top of the engine room) you can get inside the engine room through several of the vent hatches and swim up to the engine. Think of the Brenton and how you drop into the engine room on it and flip it upside down. Except everything is still their it is not a big empty space. It all depends on how much sand is piled up around things. you can also enter through several of the main deck hatch as well they are wide open. It is not flat upside down it is tilted a bit due to the upper deck structure. Unless it has been moving around, and that is possible with the current out their.
Sounds pretty cool. When did you dive it? I almost never hear about anyone diving the Bunker. Everyone talks about the Governor, but I think the Bunker is really under rated.
Josh I agree, and you do not have as bad of currents.

first time was in 88 or 89, Then on CCR in o9 and we did 2 charters in 2010. the second one in 2010 the sand was piled to high to get in the vent hatches had to go in though the main deck. That blew a lot of time, if Ainslie were their he would have just wormed his way though the sand. I originally had a group from CA coming up this last summer for the Governor and the Hill and maybe the Sampson or the Processor Barge (still want to do this) depending on condition's. Then we lost Mike on the Doria a few weeks earlier so we canceled the whole thing. I want to get more of the divers from other areas here to dive. But with our short windows it is tough. Not like CA were you can get on them year round as long as the wind is not blowing out of the south. That and we truly lack a decent boat up here to bring people in and have them stay on it. I have used a research boat that is in the area from time to time a few times and we put hammocks up too sleep on as the dame thing only has 2 usable cabins and a fold down dinette on a 105' boat. They were talking about redoing the interior taking out some of the lab space and putting in removable bunks so they could get close to 20 on board. Don't know I haven't followed up on it as of late. Chartered a 85 foot yacht that slept 12 out of Bellingham, dont really want to do that again the damage deposit was 25k cash. I wish we still had the Anella she slept 24 and cost less a day to operate than my 42' Ocean Alexander did. Still kick myself in the ass for letting that thing go away. All though I heard rumor she is back in the sound and owned buy a Commercial diver now. Be really interesting to see what she looks like now. But if it is here it is the perfect platform for dive charters. We converted it into that. 130' with a 30' beam 20 bunks, 2 state rooms, and 2 hida beds in the main salon. Hell it can be 12' waves out their and it will not even move up or down after you basalt it down. You might see your drink just wobble a little bit from side to side.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
rjw
Aquanaut

Post by rjw »

loanwolf wrote:It is a lot of gas that is for sure. You are going to chew through just under 500 cu ft of deco gas. We typically have 20+ CCR and a few OC divers in 3 man teams put in the water every 15min. Each team is carrying around 600 cu ft of bailout. Extra 80's clipped off at 70' and 30'. With all the teams decoing on the line their is so much gas in the water it is not funny. Plus T-bottles of mix and O2 on deck, a nitrox bank and compressor, the boats 8 bottle bank, and 2 very large air compressors that supply them if they are needed. Gas is never in short supply. So far any BO's have always been right at the beginning of the dive. Diver notices a problem right after getting to the wrecks.

You need to go down for one of the San Clemente trips. I had to pass on next weeks trip my lungs are still all F'ed up from N1H1.
Sorry for the hijack. But is this a commercial barge or something? What boat do you use? This is a massive amount of equip. I have never heard of let alone operated off of such a kick ass platform. I think our group would definitely like to pursue some dives with this outfit.
Rob
No amount of Helium can make a dumbass smart. - Chatterton
FOTTF
Life's been good to me so far
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Just to be nosy and to add perspective; what is/was the cost of that dive?
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

ArcticDiver wrote:Just to be nosy and to add perspective; what is/was the cost of that dive?

Oh, I think the boat charter was 150$ a person, plus tips. But that's not the real cost......
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

I figured the cost including gas, other consumables, etc would be significant. That was the number I was sort of looking for. Didn't want to get all the way to training and kit purchase. That would probably be astromomical.
rjw
Aquanaut

Post by rjw »

loanwolf wrote:Are you guys slated to go out and do the stern yet?
Actually we have been on the stern 2-3 times but it was several years ago (pre-Josh). We recently have been concentrating more on the bow section because it is a significantly larger piece.
By the sound of things you have a fair amount of experience on the stern. Perhaps you could show us around it sometime.
FOTTF
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

ArcticDiver wrote:I figured the cost including gas, other consumables, etc would be significant. That was the number I was sort of looking for. Didn't want to get all the way to training and kit purchase. That would probably be astromomical.
Ah, I see. From that angle, its downright cheap. Trimix and 02 for my CCR cost me about 9$. Sorb......not sure, but maybe 10$? Once you spend a fortune on gear and training, its actually fairly affordable.

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Joshua Smith wrote:
ArcticDiver wrote:I figured the cost including gas, other consumables, etc would be significant. That was the number I was sort of looking for. Didn't want to get all the way to training and kit purchase. That would probably be astromomical.
Ah, I see. From that angle, its downright cheap. Trimix and 02 for my CCR cost me about 9$. Sorb......not sure, but maybe 10$? Once you spend a fortune on gear and training, its actually fairly affordable.
Consumables weren't as much as I thought. The rest confirms my use of the term "astromomical". Thnx
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

ArcticDiver wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:
Consumables weren't as much as I thought. The rest confirms my use of the term "astromomical". Thnx
Considering that it would cost around $100 in gas fills to do that dive on open circuit......yeah, its not bad, and I still have plenty of gas and scrubber left over.....

ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Probably too far down the road now to go CCR. But, if I were starting now instead of in 1999 I would skip all the OC stuff after initial cert and go CCR. I'm a detail, analytical kind of person which would match me real well with what I know of CCR.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

ArcticDiver wrote:Probably too far down the road now to go CCR. But, if I were starting now instead of in 1999 I would skip all the OC stuff after initial cert and go CCR. I'm a detail, analytical kind of person which would match me real well with what I know of CCR.
Hey, never too late. I won't lie and tell you its cheap, but there are some advantages. And they are wonderful toys....or tools, depending on how you look at it.

BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Joshua Smith wrote:
ArcticDiver wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:
Considering that it would cost around $100 in gas fills to do that dive on open circuit......yeah, its not bad, and I still have plenty of gas and scrubber left over.....
$100?!?!! Holy crap, where are your oc buddies getting their fills? I need to get in on that!
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

BDub wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:
ArcticDiver wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:
$100?!?!! Holy crap, where are your oc buddies getting their fills? I need to get in on that!
I'm out of touch! Seriously, what would gas for a 280' OC dive even cost?

loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Joshua Smith wrote:
BDub wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:
ArcticDiver wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:
I'm out of touch! Seriously, what would gas for a 280' OC dive even cost?
Buying from a shop should be just under $250.00 for 1 dive.
Greg
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

rjw wrote:
loanwolf wrote:It is a lot of gas that is for sure. You are going to chew through just under 500 cu ft of deco gas. We typically have 20+ CCR and a few OC divers in 3 man teams put in the water every 15min. Each team is carrying around 600 cu ft of bailout. Extra 80's clipped off at 70' and 30'. With all the teams decoing on the line their is so much gas in the water it is not funny. Plus T-bottles of mix and O2 on deck, a nitrox bank and compressor, the boats 8 bottle bank, and 2 very large air compressors that supply them if they are needed. Gas is never in short supply. So far any BO's have always been right at the beginning of the dive. Diver notices a problem right after getting to the wrecks.

You need to go down for one of the San Clemente trips. I had to pass on next weeks trip my lungs are still all F'ed up from N1H1.
Sorry for the hijack. But is this a commercial barge or something? What boat do you use? This is a massive amount of equip. I have never heard of let alone operated off of such a kick ass platform. I think our group would definitely like to pursue some dives with this outfit.
Rob
Robin with http://oceanresearchgroup.com/ sets up the trips off the Sanddollar out of San Pedro. I wish we had something like it up here to run multiday trips to the island, BC, and off the coast. It is so nice to not have to pull your all your gear off the boat and haul it to a motel room them try and find something to eat, then in the am haul it all back to the boat. Just get out of the suit eat some good hot food take a hot shower have a few beers on the water with friends then climb in your rack and get up in the morning and your gear stays in the same place ready to go in the morning.

Hijack ended :angelblue:
Greg
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Their are a lot of great prices lately on used CCR's with the economy and people upgrading to the latest models. Training though hypoxic TM will run around $2k (Less if you are already OC TM certified, X-over) and I have seen great used megs and rEvo's in the $4-6k range as of late. Like Josh said $15-$20 for consumables and you have 4-6hrs in the water at any depth depending on the unit you get. Depending on what you do for diving it may not take long to pay the unit back. I know several OC divers that are paying out $6k or more in gas a year.

It makes taking a tip like what Josh just did more appealing to do more than once in a lifetime.
Greg
rjw
Aquanaut

Post by rjw »

loanwolf wrote:
rjw wrote:

Rob
Robin with http://oceanresearchgroup.com/ sets up the trips off the Sanddollar out of San Pedro. I wish we had something like it up here to run multiday trips to the island, BC, and off the coast. It is so nice to not have to pull your all your gear off the boat and haul it to a motel room them try and find something to eat, then in the am haul it all back to the boat. Just get out of the suit eat some good hot food take a hot shower have a few beers on the water with friends then climb in your rack and get up in the morning and your gear stays in the same place ready to go in the morning.

Hijack ended :angelblue:
That's a real nice dive platform! Thanks for the info I'll pass it along. I've never done any diving in Ca. Looking forward to the experience.
I agree that it would be nice to have something like that up here, but at this time I think the local tech community is just too small and divided to support something that large.
FOTTF
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Joshua Smith wrote:I'm out of touch! Seriously, what would gas for a 280' OC dive even cost?
Ball park filling my own:
40cf O2 = $12
80cf 50% = $8
40cf 35/25 = $15
260 + 80cf of 12/65 = $120
Total about $160. Retail prices I would guess would be 2x.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

CaptnJack wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:I'm out of touch! Seriously, what would gas for a 280' OC dive even cost?
40cf O2 = $12
80cf 50% = $8
40cf 35/25 = $15
Wow. ...and that is with your own fill station.

Tech diving is certainly not to be done "on the cheap"!

These numbers really make Rebreathers attractive from a straight economic angle. Not trying to derail this thread into a Rebreather vs. Open Circuit thread - everyone makes their own decision from factors that are important to them, as they should. The numbers are simply interesting....
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

CaptnJack wrote:
40cf O2 = $12
80cf 50% = $8
40cf 35/25 = $15
Wow. You know, I may be approaching the point where I break even on my Meg.....well, in a few more years, maybe. Closer than I thought, anyway.

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I guess in the grand scheme of things $160 doesn't seem so bad to me. I mean jeesh I just spent $300 on a rental car in FL that I only put 280miles on in a week?! I would do a $160 OC dive, maybe not every month but a few times a year. But I'd freeze on deco in March, this March esp.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

CaptnJack wrote:I guess in the grand scheme of things $160 doesn't seem so bad to me. I mean jeesh I just spent $300 on a rental car in FL that I only put 280miles on in a week?! I would do a $160 OC dive, maybe not every month but a few times a year. But I'd freeze on deco in March, this March esp.
Yeah, all true. But I probably do 15-20 deep dives a year. That would start adding up pretty fast.

loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Joshua Smith wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:I guess in the grand scheme of things $160 doesn't seem so bad to me. I mean jeesh I just spent $300 on a rental car in FL that I only put 280miles on in a week?! I would do a $160 OC dive, maybe not every month but a few times a year. But I'd freeze on deco in March, this March esp.
Yeah, all true. But I probably do 15-20 deep dives a year. That would start adding up pretty fast.
Josh if you were buying retail gas, 20 dives that's close to $5k a year. Makes one shutter when you think about what we used to be spending before switching.
Greg