Thursday *afternoon* 3/22

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

For those of us who have to work and can't make a morning dive... I would like to hit someplace Thursday afternoon and get wet one more time before I leave for a week in Denver (followed by a week in Kauai, and I'd really like to get one more session with my camera before that...). Somewhere close enough to home that there's a bit of daylight left, and an uncomplicated site. Still working to get more comfortable juggling gear and camera...

Choice 1: dive from the city boat launch inside Gig Harbor, poke around and look for bottles and nudis and "stuff". Shallow, boat traffic, diveflag needed, etc. Have not hit that side of the harbor myself.

Choice 2: Fox Island west wall - haven't been there either but it looks like a nice location to work the camera from all the cool photos y'all have posted.

Choice 3: Les Davis

Flood tide is about 6:30, I was thinking about a 5:00 splash (esp if in the Harbor) to allow some daylight and not be too affected tide wise... Dive plan: Poke around slow and take pictures of stuff.

Anyone else want to join in and provide a buddy? Scubie Doo, mpenders, linedog, any of ya?

Jim
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Re: Thursday *afternoon* 3/22

Post by Linedog »

You pick da spot.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Linedog wrote:You pick da spot.
Let's go with the city boat launch in da Harbor, then. Closer, no need to consult Mr Garmin for directions to a new spot, and we can get in another dive there before boating season kicks up into high gear. You got a dive flag? If not, I'll grab one (been on my list of stuff to acquire anyway)...

Anyone else up for pokin' around in the mud?

Jim
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Got da flag, one or two tanks?
Pop tarts and gravy,
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Roxndox

Hey, thanks for the shout out!

I am probably in for a dive Thursday. Fox Island is great for photo ops and it is a nice easy dive. Personally, I am not the biggest fan of Les Davis for dialing in gear or photography. With all the changes in structure and depth, and the low viz it seems to cause me fits. I am unfamiliar with the other spot you mentioned, but it sounds like you are set on heading there, correct? I'd probably be more inclined to hit Fox Island.

I will hit up Penders tomorrow and see what he has planned for this week. I will let you know tomorrow.

Jesse
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Scubie Doo wrote:Roxndox

Hey, thanks for the shout out!

I am probably in for a dive Thursday. Fox Island is great for photo ops and it is a nice easy dive. Personally, I am not the biggest fan of Les Davis for dialing in gear or photography. With all the changes in structure and depth, and the low viz it seems to cause me fits. I am unfamiliar with the other spot you mentioned, but it sounds like you are set on heading there, correct? I'd probably be more inclined to hit Fox Island.

I will hit up Penders tomorrow and see what he has planned for this week. I will let you know tomorrow.

Jesse
Well, I'm not really 'set' on hitting hte boat launch, just that it seems like a chance to poke around there before the boats get quite as busy as they will be later in the spring and summer. And I know where it is, too, unlike the access to Fox Island. Been living here for a year and a half and haven't even made it onto FI... FI WW is on my list of places to try too :-) I'm heading out to Denver for a week of work and then back to unpack-wash-repack for Kauai, so this is basically my shot at one more dive before then. Dunno if Mike has ever dove the Harbor or not, but Randy at Lighthouse says there are bottles to be found, a fair amount of life (nothing exceptional but enough to be fun), and just an easy shallow place to work on stuff. We only hit about 35 ft New Years Day.

I could probly be persuaded if the FI access is easy enough...

Chris, I could do 1 or 2 tanks - 2nd would end up as a night dive I imagine, that'd also be another first for me. Just so's ya know.

Jim
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Looks like it Fox Island West Wall around 1630.
Pop tarts and gravy,
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Linedog wrote:Looks like it Fox Island West Wall around 1630.
yep, so far it's me & you & Scubie Doo
and anyone else who might show up :) :smt064

Jim
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

Trying to make it, but can't confirm yet.
ejrauschl
Avid Diver

Post by ejrauschl »

RoxnDox
I would join you all on Thursday, but I am actually diving for the Peer Pier program that night at Pt. Defiance. I just wanted to let you know that I am always looking for a dive buddy and I live in Gig Harbor so we can get a dive in quickly. I got certified last summer and am going for my Advanced at the end of the month. Just send me an email if you want to get wet sometime. ejrauschl@hotmail.com
Regards,
EJ Rauschl

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

ejrauschl wrote:RoxnDox
I would join you all on Thursday, but I am actually diving for the Peer Pier program that night at Pt. Defiance. I just wanted to let you know that I am always looking for a dive buddy and I live in Gig Harbor so we can get a dive in quickly. I got certified last summer and am going for my Advanced at the end of the month. Just send me an email if you want to get wet sometime. ejrauschl@hotmail.com
Cool - more and more Harborites around here :highfive: Have fun over there, we'll get hooked up on a dive one of these days :) I got certified last summer too, but I'm waiting a bit before I do Advanced. (my user name) (at) gmail.com
mpenders wrote:Trying to make it, but can't confirm yet.

Be cool if ya can. But if you can't, we're going anyway! :neener: Gotta make sure my camera's ready for Hawaii!

Jim