First Time Ever At Muk

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

First Time Ever At Muk

Post by dwashbur »

I know it's hard to believe. But I have never really had the chance to dive Mukilteo before. Well, Kathy fixed that today. And what a dive it was. 2 wolf eels, including a juvenile out in the open that I followed for a long time with the camera in video mode; a GPO; a little bitty stubby squid; the tiniest octopus I have ever seen, probably no bigger than the end of my thumb, and something I have never seen before: a red octopus on eggs. Throw in a nice little Janolus fuscus and more rockfish than I could count, plus two painted greenlings and a couple of skittish gunnels, and I will definitely be back! Now I see what all the fuss is about :supz:
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Re: First Time Ever At Muk

Post by BASSMAN »

Wow! Sounds like summer is here allready!
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Here are my pix of the little red octo on eggs.

You can see the little eyes in the eggs. So cool! I'm assuming the red octo's life cycle is like the GPO, in that she's not going to feed or anything else, and will die once she's done tending the eggs. If anybody knows different, feel free to correct me.
octoeggs1.jpg
For size reference, check out the sunflower star arm in the foreground. This star was thinking about trying for a meal and was only a few inches from the den.
octoeggs2.jpg
My video of the little wolfie will follow in a couple of days.
Dave

--
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

And this one I couldn't resist.
octocrab.jpg
Dave

--
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

VERY NICE!! I've never seen a red on eggs before. Good find!
Jenn
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

Where was the nudi? I have never seen a Janolus at Mukilteo.
-Curt :questionmarks:
Happy to be alive.
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

Very cool... I've yet to see a Red out there and to find one on eggs is truly cool... The T-dock is many things but rarely disappointing... I dive there quite a bit since it's 10 min from home, give a shout if you need a buddy on the weekends...
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Alexitt wrote:Very cool... I've yet to see a Red out there and to find one on eggs is truly cool... The T-dock is many things but rarely disappointing... I dive there quite a bit since it's 10 min from home, give a shout if you need a buddy on the weekends...
You've never seen a red there? Best to find them at around dusk, but drop to ~60, and hook east from there out to the brickyard. Go slow, stay close to the bottom, and look at all the little hidey-holes. You'll find them.

Dave would you PM me the location of the one on eggs? I want to try and get some video.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Curt,
The Janolus was on what looked like some kind of upside-down table sort of structure to the south of the dome.

Brewer,
I couldn't find my way back there if my life depended on it. We were just wandering around, not really following any kind of course and out in the middle of nowhere, as far as I could tell. I'll try to describe the den, but that's the best I can do. Sorry! Bear in mind, it was my first time there, and only Kathy's second time. This was definitely a case of pure, dumb luck.
Dave

--
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

What a lovely find! I have never seen a red on eggs. And the itty-bitty octo is way too cute!

The Muk is a great dive site for folks who like to move very slowly and look for little things. You get some great surprises there sometimes, as this thread shows.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

Nwbrewer wrote:
Alexitt wrote:Very cool... I've yet to see a Red out there and to find one on eggs is truly cool... The T-dock is many things but rarely disappointing... I dive there quite a bit since it's 10 min from home, give a shout if you need a buddy on the weekends...
You've never seen a red there? Best to find them at around dusk, but drop to ~60, and hook east from there out to the brickyard. Go slow, stay close to the bottom, and look at all the little hidey-holes. You'll find them.

Dave would you PM me the location of the one on eggs? I want to try and get some video.
I'll keep my eyes open and head over that way next time...
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Long time coming Dave! Those that dive the Muk will be rewarded with photo/video ops once in a blue moon.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?