Hollis F1 Yellow tips...

No commercial posts, please. Individual divers only.
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Hollis F1 Yellow tips...

Post by scubnewb »

Bought em, tried em, hate em, $100 and they are yours. 1 dive on them. Size regular.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do."
-Confucius
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Re: Hollis F1 Yellow tips...

Post by Jeff Pack »

Why dont you like them? (and what did you have before?) Just curious...
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

scubnewb wrote:Bought em, tried em, hate em, $100 and they are yours. 1 dive on them. Size regular.
1st time for everything! :joshsmith:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Hollis F1 Yellow tips...

Post by Jeremy »

I hated mine for the first 3 dives as well. In fact, I put them away and went back to my BioFins.

But then for some reason the lights turned on and I will never go back! F-1's are so good...

Someone out there should pick these up and stick to them a day or two longer than scubnewb...you will not regret it.
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

I have a pair of the Apollo bio fins as well... There is a few reasons I dont like em. First is they are a little rougher on your legs and knees resistance wise or at least I noticed they were for me when i was using them. I have some serious gunshot injuries in my legs with some titanium rods and screws with serious muscle issues in regards of my muscles being ripped in half and a bunch of other gory stuff I could go into but will not. So the resistance caused some issues in those areas. The apollos feel like I am cutting thru butter when I use them with very minimal resistance. They felt very bulky as well on my feet where the bios feel nice and form fitting. As far as performance they were fine, I didnt see a whole lot of difference between them and my biofins actually. I see how both have there advantages and i feel like they are both very comparable fins, but they just arent for me. If no one picks them up I might give them a few more runs to see if anything changes for me but at this point I jsut dont think they are a good fit for this particular guy.
Jeff Pack wrote:Why dont you like them? (and what did you have before?) Just curious...
Last edited by scubnewb on Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do."
-Confucius
chokolad
Avid Diver

Post by chokolad »

scubnewb wrote:Bought em, tried em, hate em, $100 and they are yours. 1 dive on them. Size regular.
Let me get this straight:
- hate the backplate after one dive
- hate the paddle fins after one dive
- plan to tech dive.

Tell me how that works out for you.
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Moving to a BP/W shortly... never said I hated it, I just wasnt compfortable in it when I bought one and tried it. So I decided to sell it and go back to it later after I had more then 3 dives in. I feel like my personal compfort level is very important for my saftey and at that time, I wasnt compfortable being in the water with a new peice of gear I was not used to when I was just trying to remeber how to hook up my gear correctly so I dont have a major malfunction. For me I will take one step at a time till I am confident in it and then move on to the next to be as safe as I can. And for someone who wants to "tech" dive IE: go a little deeper then most, penetrate some wrecks and hit some caves... I think that is a pretty good philosphy. And so far so good is how its going, I am still alive and diving!
chokolad wrote:
- plan to tech dive.

-Confucius
chokolad
Avid Diver

Post by chokolad »

scubnewb wrote:Moving to a BP/W shortly... never said I hated it, I just wasnt compfortable in it when I bought one and tried it. So I decided to sell it and go back to it later after I had more then 3 dives in. I feel like my personal compfort level is very important for my saftey and at that time, I wasnt compfortable being in the water with a new peice of gear I was not used to when I was just trying to remeber how to hook up my gear correctly so I dont have a major malfunction. For me I will take one step at a time till I am confident in it and then move on to the next to be as safe as I can. And for someone who wants to "tech" dive IE: go a little deeper then most, penetrate some wrecks and hit some caves... I think that is a pretty good philosphy. And so far so good is how its going, I am still alive and diving!
chokolad wrote:
- plan to tech dive.

Ah, so you will be buying those fins again in a future. Gotcha.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Hollis F1 Yellow tips...

Post by spatman »

chokolad wrote: Let me get this straight:
- plan to tech dive.

So you're saying you have to have a backplate in order to tech dive? Hm, I guess I'd better change my plans since I'm obviously doing it wrong.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Hollis F1 Yellow tips...

Post by Jeremy »

chokolad wrote:
scubnewb wrote:Moving to a BP/W shortly... never said I hated it, I just wasnt compfortable in it when I bought one and tried it. So I decided to sell it and go back to it later after I had more then 3 dives in. I feel like my personal compfort level is very important for my saftey and at that time, I wasnt compfortable being in the water with a new peice of gear I was not used to when I was just trying to remeber how to hook up my gear correctly so I dont have a major malfunction. For me I will take one step at a time till I am confident in it and then move on to the next to be as safe as I can. And for someone who wants to "tech" dive IE: go a little deeper then most, penetrate some wrecks and hit some caves... I think that is a pretty good philosphy. And so far so good is how its going, I am still alive and diving!
chokolad wrote:
- plan to tech dive.

Lolz
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

I never rule anything out, but if you read my post to jeff about them and why I didnt like them you will see I have some medical issues that I will either have to endure the discompfort if I use them or find something else that work... And I am sure that wether I wear bio fins or I wear F1's will totally be the difference betwen life and death for me one day. But like I said, if no one picks em up I will give them a whirl again here and there a few times and maybe I will just keep em. I dont have rock boots either at this point and the boots on my drysuit are very flimsy so the support for my ankle that i would hope to be there for compfort isnt there. I think that maybe later down the road when I pick up my next drysuit set up and get some nice rock boots this may make a bit of difference in how they affect my legs... If you took a few shells from a assult rifle in your leg and shins you may understand where I am coming from.
chokolad wrote:
chokolad wrote:
- plan to tech dive.

-Confucius
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Is a backplate diving equiptment :stickwhack: (Inside joke everyone)
spatman wrote:
chokolad wrote: Let me get this straight:
- plan to tech dive.

So you're saying you have to have a backplate in order to tech dive? Hm, I guess I'd better change my plans since I'm obviously doing it wrong.
-Confucius
chokolad
Avid Diver

Post by chokolad »

scubnewb wrote:I never rule anything out, but if you read my post to jeff about them and why I didnt like them you will see I have some medical issues that I will either have to endure the discompfort if I use them or find something else that work... And I am sure that wether I wear bio fins or I wear F1's will totally be the difference betwen life and death for me one day. But like I said, if no one picks em up I will give them a whirl again here and there a few times and maybe I will just keep em. I dont have rock boots either at this point and the boots on my drysuit are very flimsy so the support for my ankle that i would hope to be there for compfort isnt there. I think that maybe later down the road when I pick up my next drysuit set up and get some nice rock boots this may make a bit of difference in how they affect my legs... If you took a few shells from a assult rifle in your leg and shins you may understand where I am coming from.
Two of my dive buddies have problems with their legs. One had a knee surgery, another - hip replacement. They both are currently diving ScubaRro Jets (not that much different from F1s really). It is more of a technique+time problem rather than fin and you can't really figure out the technique if you sell a fin after one dive.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Hollis F1 Yellow tips...

Post by Jeremy »

Brah, it's cool...you're still a jacket BC and split fins sort o'dude. We've all been there...take as much time as you need imo...
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I went from splitfins to the hollis's too and the first couple of dives I thought they were going to kill me. and also I "thought" they really didn't make allot of difference. But a couple of dives in they started to feel way better and then I had a couple of dive buddies complain that I was running away from them when I felt I was just taking it easy and sightseeing. Both of these guys were split fin users and now also dive F-1's and love them.

With any new piece of new gear there is an adjustment period and first impressions can be very misleading. Same for the BP/wing. I liked my jacket type BC and was VERY reluctant to change but I finally got "talked" into it by all the people on here and now I would never go back. However having said this, It is all about comfort level and confidence in your equipment. At this early stage in your development you are not really ready to be gear swapping. If you are doing OK with what you have and it hasn't killed you yet you should stick with it till you settle in and get a little more confident. Then borrow, don't buy, till you settle on what is going to work for you and take you to the next level.

Don't feel pressured to try things just because others advocate it. There are some very strong opinions here about gear.(perceived or deliberate) and most people have a tendency to promote what they use because they naturally feel that they have made the right choices. But everyone is different and it is critical that you feel one with your equipment. So, Take your time and feel your way. Don't impulse buy regardless of who tells you to. Listen, keep an open mind and learn. All things take time and buying a bunch of new equipment when you are just learning and don't have a firm foundation is never the right thing. All of us have gear laying around that we thought we needed and then found out otherwise.
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Hollis F1 Yellow tips...

Post by Zen Diver »

My goodness folks, he's just selling a set of fins. One size does not fit all. It's okay.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Hollis F1 Yellow tips...

Post by Jeremy »

Zen Diver wrote:My goodness folks, he's just selling a set of fins. One size does not fit all. It's okay.
Agreed. Someone should totally score on these fins.
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

OK... you win. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :chrisnjoe: :chrisnjoe: :chrisnjoe: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: =D> =D> =D> =D> :koolaid: :koolaid: :koolaid: :koolaid: :stickwhack: :stickwhack: :stickwhack: :police: :police: :police: :pacing: :pacing: :brute: :brute: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
chokolad wrote:
scubnewb wrote:I never rule anything out, but if you read my post to jeff about them and why I didnt like them you will see I have some medical issues that I will either have to endure the discompfort if I use them or find something else that work... And I am sure that wether I wear bio fins or I wear F1's will totally be the difference betwen life and death for me one day. But like I said, if no one picks em up I will give them a whirl again here and there a few times and maybe I will just keep em. I dont have rock boots either at this point and the boots on my drysuit are very flimsy so the support for my ankle that i would hope to be there for compfort isnt there. I think that maybe later down the road when I pick up my next drysuit set up and get some nice rock boots this may make a bit of difference in how they affect my legs... If you took a few shells from a assult rifle in your leg and shins you may understand where I am coming from.
Two of my dive buddies have problems with their legs. One had a knee surgery, another - hip replacement. They both are currently diving ScubaRro Jets (not that much different from F1s really). It is more of a technique+time problem rather than fin and you can't really figure out the technique if you sell a fin after one dive.
-Confucius
chokolad
Avid Diver

Post by chokolad »

scubnewb wrote:OK... you win. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :chrisnjoe: :chrisnjoe: :chrisnjoe: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: =D> =D> =D> =D> :koolaid: :koolaid: :koolaid: :koolaid: :stickwhack: :stickwhack: :stickwhack: :police: :police: :police: :pacing: :pacing: :brute: :brute: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Dude - your fins, your diving. All I am trying to say - give them another chance. And no, I do not hold Hollis stock (if there is such a thing)
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Pretty sure i said somewhere along the way that if no one picks them up I intended to give them a few more whirls and see what happens. As well as before I bought em I think I mentioned that if I tried em and didnt like em right now i would just sell em and maybe try again down the road after I make a few other changes. But that was in a different thread :dontknow:
chokolad wrote:
scubnewb wrote:OK... you win. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :chrisnjoe: :chrisnjoe: :chrisnjoe: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: =D> =D> =D> =D> :koolaid: :koolaid: :koolaid: :koolaid: :stickwhack: :stickwhack: :stickwhack: :police: :police: :police: :pacing: :pacing: :brute: :brute: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Dude - your fins, your diving. All I am trying to say - give them another chance. And no, I do not hold Hollis stock (if there is such a thing)
-Confucius
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Yeah is there anyone on this thread actually interested in picking these up anyhow lol... Theres a go pro camera I am gonna buy and this 100 would be a nice addition to the cause!
Jeremy wrote:
Zen Diver wrote:My goodness folks, he's just selling a set of fins. One size does not fit all. It's okay.
Agreed. Someone should totally score on these fins.
-Confucius
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Sorry to hear that you drew the short straw and have had to change your life because of what someone else did to you. I don't know the details but I assume it was war related. If so you have my respect as a fellow veteran. A bit before your time but the bullets were the same.

I think Rock boots or similar foot gear would be very helpful. Ankle support is very important carrying all this heavy equipment and if your ankles have already been subject to allot of trauma you should seriously consider them. If you have the suit with boots already attached they can easily be switched to the neoprene booties so you can ware supportive foot wear. Be forewarned though that that will require larger fins.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

chokolad wrote:

Yeah, but.....you're talking to a pretty new diver. Like, less than 20 dives, I believe? Let him figure out what works for himself.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

I wish I could say I was a vetran and it was war related and it didnt happen here and was over seas but that is not the case. The truth is at one time I was not such a nice guy and was known to bend a few rules and hurt a few peoples feelings periodically. One time things just didnt happen to go as planned and the results did not end up in my favor. It been ten years and alot of work but with time and distance things have changed for me. Only thing that matters to me now is my three kids and making sure that they dont live the life I did. So far we are making great progress :-)

Thanks for the info on the boots, I did not know I could do that. Any info where I should call to find out what it will cost to make the swap? I currently dive a USIA Bio-Flex suit so that would be great to be able to swap it up like that.
Dusty2 wrote:Sorry to hear that you drew the short straw and have had to change your life because of what someone else did to you. I don't know the details but I assume it was war related. If so you have my respect as a fellow veteran. A bit before your time but the bullets were the same.

I think Rock boots or similar foot gear would be very helpful. Ankle support is very important carrying all this heavy equipment and if your ankles have already been subject to allot of trauma you should seriously consider them. If you have the suit with boots already attached they can easily be switched to the neoprene booties so you can ware supportive foot wear. Be forewarned though that that will require larger fins.
-Confucius
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

:threadjacked:
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.