Chest Strap & Inflator Valve Issues

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
vs920
Frequent Bubbler

Post by vs920 »

I’m having issues with my Knighthawk chest strap and inflator valve on my Bare dry suit. No matter how I gear up, with strap either on top or on the bottom of the valve the chest strap seems to migrate over the top of the valve making it difficult to inflate when I’m horizontal in the water. Has anybody ever experienced this and if so, what did you do about it?
Thank you.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Chest Strap & Inflator Valve Issues

Post by CaptnJack »

Is that sewn or buckled in place? I don't really like BCs that rely on sternum straps to stay put although I have one which does. Just cut it off and move it if the location is not to your liking. You can get webbing and fastex buckles to remake it at Seattle Fabrics.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

When you attach the inflator, can you trap the chest strap under the inflator hose?
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

As Jack said, you have to physically move the strap on the harness, as its natural position isnt correct for you. If its not sewn in place, they can move up and down abit, otherwise you need to find a seamstress, get the webbing and clip and have it repositioned.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Sometimes you can just buckle on a sternup strap, no sewing required. They do frequently conflict with suit valves so maybe try a dive or 2 with it disconnected to see if you need the sternum strap at all. Some BCs don't need or have them at all, some have them but don't really need them, some require it or you'll be a floppy mess.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
vs920
Frequent Bubbler

Post by vs920 »

spatman wrote:When you attach the inflator, can you trap the chest strap under the inflator hose?
I’ve tried this but it seems to put undue pressure on the inflator, because the strap wants to migrate to its natural position while I’m horizontal.
vs920
Frequent Bubbler

Post by vs920 »

CaptnJack wrote:Sometimes you can just buckle on a sternup strap, no sewing required. They do frequently conflict with suit valves so maybe try a dive or 2 with it disconnected to see if you need the sternum strap at all. Some BCs don't need or have them at all, some have them but don't really need them, some require it or you'll be a floppy mess.
I think what I’d like to try is not use it at all for a dive and see how it feels, if that works I’m good to go. I had a spare strap that I ran between the D-rings this afternoon, the strap road about two inches higher which might have worked but it was a webbing type strap and I thought for safeties sake I should probably have something I can get out of quicker. I have two double ended snaps that I put together and ran between the D-rings which may work, but I’ll try the BC first without anything and see it I like it.
Thank you everyone for the advice.
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

vs920 wrote: Has anybody ever experienced this and if so, what did you do about it?
Thank you.
I did. Dove the same BC and even dive a Bare Drysuit.

As far as what I did about it... Sold the BC, bought a BP/W without a chest strap and have not worried about it since.

Probably not what you want to head, but you asked. :taco:
vs920
Frequent Bubbler

Post by vs920 »

pensacoladiver wrote:
vs920 wrote: Has anybody ever experienced this and if so, what did you do about it?
Thank you.
I did. Dove the same BC and even dive a Bare Drysuit.

As far as what I did about it... Sold the BC, bought a BP/W without a chest strap and have not worried about it since.

Probably not what you want to head, but you asked. :taco:
Funny you bring that up. First thought that runs through my head with this issue- what’s up with this flipping chest strap; it’s actually kind of dangerous and or uncomfortable not being able to inflate your suit (I realize I can use my BC for buoyancy). Then, I instantly think, what’s up with Scuba Pro and Bare and their design teams; who had what first? Then all in that millisecond of BS- I think of Halcyon and my mind stays there for a good amount of time. So yeah, I’ve been thinking about it- Thanks for the input.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

I've always dove with a chest strap, same as any climbing/mc riding backpack I own has one. I've always found them more secured to my body, and give me greater flexibility in the shoulders. They just get/keep those straps off of the front of my shoulders.

My BP has a chest strap, and I wont personally own a rig that doesnt have one.

But yes, getting the strap off of the inflator takes some adjustment per individual/suit, but once done, is done.

Your Mileage May Vary.

vs920
Frequent Bubbler

Post by vs920 »

Jeff Pack wrote:I've always dove with a chest strap, same as any climbing/mc riding backpack I own has one. I've always found them more secured to my body, and give me greater flexibility in the shoulders. They just get/keep those straps off of the front of my shoulders.

My BP has a chest strap, and I wont personally own a rig that doesnt have one.

But yes, getting the strap off of the inflator takes some adjustment per individual/suit, but once done, is done.

Your Mileage May Vary.
Other than a physical location change of the strap (which I don’t want to do) I don’t believe there’s anything I can do Jeff. Like I’ve said, I’ve had it over the top of the inflator and under, sinched up tight and each and every time I get horizontal it goes over the top of the inflator. At Les Davis last weekend I actually crashed into the sea floor before I could get air into my suit.
What brand/type of BC do you have or back plate set-up?
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

zeagle deluxe harness and ss bp

pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

In my previous post, I was a bit misleading.

When I switched over to a Bp/W setup, I thought I "needed" the chest strap, so I bought the Dive Rite Deluxe harness. It was a total PITA to adjust (compared to a single pices harness that I bought later).

After using the deluxe harness for a bit, I looked at some of the folks in the Puget Sound area who I considered and still consider some of the most experienced, comfortable, best divers in the world. I won't mention any names as some of their heads are too big as it isd already. :neener: AND I noticed something, you guessed it, NO chest strap.

So now I dive a single piece of webbing that I can replace on my own for less than 10 bucks at ACE hardware. To date I have 476 dives on that setup and have not missed the chest strap since the first dive.

I did not post all of this in the first post as it was not a post about the benefits of a BP/W... but again, since you mentioned it. :joshsmith:

Happy diving