TTN 5-17-2012 Unofficial Club Dive

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Mortuus
Amphibian

TTN 5-17-2012 Unofficial Club Dive

Post by Mortuus »

Amazing dives. Huge Crowd. Jeff Pack. Need I say more? Well I GUESS I could brag about the two massive octos we saw just hanging out in the open, and I GUESS I could mention the countless (literally lost count) ratfish we saw..... But I will save some room for others' stories. Highlights, everyone? Post em!
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Re: TTN 5-17-2012 Unofficial Club Dive

Post by pogiguy05 »

A couple of great dives with a Mr No Bubbles rebreather. :luv:
Attachments
DSC03850.JPG
DSC03858.JPG
DSC03829.JPG
DSC03812.JPG
Jeff Castor
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Mortuus wrote:Amazing dives. Huge Crowd. Jeff Pack. Need I say more? Well I GUESS I could brag about the two massive octos we saw just hanging out in the open, and I GUESS I could mention the countless (literally lost count) ratfish we saw..... But I will save some room for others' stories. Highlights, everyone? Post em!
When my team came across that poor octo, there were so many divers circled around it, I thought it was gonna be gang raped... :)

And yea, that second dive, there was a school of ratfish swimming about.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Sounds like a blast! I look forward to hearing all the 17 different perspectives! :)
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

:bounce: Moar pics plz! And stories! I love ratfish! Nice shot of the lumpie too!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Thanks to Keith for hosting another excellent gathering...

Here are some pics. We also so a nice big sea pen, which was a nice surprise, however, it was so murky where we found it my camera was unable to focus on it! :) Viz below was quite nice, however!
DSC_6894.jpg
DSC_6879.jpg
DSC_6856.jpg
DSC_6853.jpg
DSC_6832.jpg
DSC_6781.jpg
DSC_6743.jpg
DSC_6733.jpg
DSC_6920.jpg
Last edited by YellowEye on Fri May 18, 2012 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more! Your fellow diver will appreciate any viz reports you can add!
bucknaked
Submariner

Post by bucknaked »

Very nice pic of the lumpy. Also someone left fins and dry gloves in the back of my truck. Pm me if they r yours :pirate:
Last edited by bucknaked on Fri May 18, 2012 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Awesome pics!
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

About three dives ago I found a little water in my strobe battery compartment. I flushed it out with fresh water and alcohol, put a new cap on it and dove it without incident at Sund last Friday. With a Bonaire trip coming up I didn't want to bring my camera gear to TTN only to have an issue two weeks before my trip. So I left it home. So sorry no pictures here. But that's why I have a good dive buddy.

Mr. Penders did bring his camera (posting the photos is another story :smt064). On dive 1 we decided to head straight out. We surface swam to the buoy straight out from the entrance and dropped in at about 40'. With viz about 10-15' we decided to head deep to the bottle field. About 4 fins kicks and we spot a medium sized GPO laying out in the open. Darn! No camera, but Penders to the rescue, he proceeded to take several nice shots. At one point he signaled me into the shot like a fashion photographer. Good thing we were underwater or he would have probably said something demeaning to me, like "Move into the shot you stupid idiot!" We spent about 10-15 minutes with the octo, we believe he was digesting something pretty big. The octo finally had enough and decided to move to a nearby tire pile. We proceeded down to about 120' when I saw Penders carrying two glasses in one hand and his camera in the other. As his dive assistant for the day, I signaled that I would carry the glasses. Getting close to deco we headed back. At about 60' we were hit with a strange "waterfall" of gunk, turning viz to about 4-5'. We thought others in the group were kicking up silt. But this water movement was really strong and the current was pushing everything straight back to depth. At about the 45 minute mark we decided to surface due to the poor viz. Unfortunately, seeing the GPO right out of the gate made the second dive uneventful.

Dive #2, walk to the antler house, drop down to 40', max depth 95', poor viz, cold, no bottles, a few cool critters, no camera = Short dive.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Eric, getting pretty good with that setup. Agreed the lumpie and GPO are pretty cool!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Scubie Doo wrote:Dive #2, walk to the antler house, drop down to 40', max depth 95', poor viz, cold, no bottles, a few cool critters, no camera = Short dive.
But I'm sure the surface interval made up for it, right?!? :smt064
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Tom Nic wrote:
Scubie Doo wrote:Dive #2, walk to the antler house, drop down to 40', max depth 95', poor viz, cold, no bottles, a few cool critters, no camera = Short dive.
But I'm sure the surface interval made up for it, right?!? :smt064
You got me Tom, yes it did. Nice seeing everyone, and meeting some new folks. We even treated the hoity-toity north-enders to some good old fashion Tennessee moonshine. Seattlites meet your hillbilly neighbors from the south. That's how we roll.

Now we need to head up north to be treated to some diving and Manhattan's for the SI. Koos, whatcha think?
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

bucknaked wrote:Very nice pic of the lumpy. Also someone left fins and dry gloves in the back of my truck. Pm me if they r yours :pirate:
D'oh! I though I had two dives with no n00b moments. Left 'em there while talking to Koos. I'll PM.

-Dennis
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

I had a great couple of dives with Eric (YellowEye)! I think we covered a whole 35 feet of bottom on dive 1! ;)
Poorly patched panorama of the parking lot
Poorly patched panorama of the parking lot
Lumpie!
Lumpie!
DSCN8136 (2).jpg
Hitchin' a ride...
Hitchin' a ride...
Stubby squid
Stubby squid
One irritated octo!
One irritated octo!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Great panorama of the parking lot! You guys really squeezed them in!
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Tom Nic wrote:Great panorama of the parking lot! You guys really squeezed them in!
Wow! Twelve vehicles! I don't think that I've ever seen that many there except opening day of Salmon season! What I don't understand is that no one appears to have parked in the very first spot on the right closest to the water!
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

John Rawlings wrote:
Tom Nic wrote:Great panorama of the parking lot! You guys really squeezed them in!
Wow! Twelve vehicles! I don't think that I've ever seen that many there except opening day of Salmon season! What I don't understand is that no one appears to have parked in the very first spot on the right closest to the water!
That spot had been taken by a non-diver who later left. No one felt like moving their cars at that point.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

AWESOME Dive!!!!

It was great meeting everyone (and Jeff Pack) :p

I really enjoyed the dives and the fantastic crowd! We should do this again!

Well done and thank you Bassman for putting it together !

BTW - never seen so many golf balls in one boat!! whats the back story on that?

Koos
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
bucknaked
Submariner

Post by bucknaked »

I think keith takes it as his personal mission to fill up that boat. Great dives keith saw some squid i had never seen before.and tons of ratfish
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Great diving with you and great pics, eliseaboo. Wow, that was a big shimp riding a jelly. Usually you only see the very tiny shrimp riding the jellies!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more! Your fellow diver will appreciate any viz reports you can add!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

John Rawlings wrote:
I think we should have had all of the hatchbacks, lined up for a picture :supz:
And just to set the actual record Thursday Turnout, there wer actually 13 cars and 15 diver's. One of the cars is only a half car in eliesaboo's photo. When we were there, I know there was a full car there right about where she spliced the panoramic.
BTW, Eliese, Great picture! I would never have thought about doing a panoramic shot like that, Good Job!
I have a few pics I'll add at work, if I get a chance too.
Thanks North Enders, for coming down to join us. It was a great couple of dives with plenty of critters to see.
Vis above 60 few kind of sucked but the Rat Fish are starting to come back :taco:

I would like to list all who were there, but I think I might miss someone's name. :smt064
Bucknaked
Pogupiguy
Scoobie Doo
Menders
Eliesaboo
Jeremy
Mortius
Kudapres
Linedog
Timo
Dave
John
Bill
Fred
Bassman
I know some of the names are wrong, but that's what I had to do to get 15.
Last edited by BASSMAN on Sat May 19, 2012 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

YellowEye wrote:Great diving with you and great pics, eliseaboo. Wow, that was a big shimp riding a jelly. Usually you only see the very tiny shrimp riding the jellies!
I know! The poor jelly could barely move! I thought I was seeing things!
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

OK my turn,
I buddied up with Mr. Naked and off we went on the first dive. Surface swam out, dropped down and found the cabin cruiser, then off to hunt bottles. Buck found several bottles and a 3 inch long porcelain baby rocker toy or decoration, I found a bottle. Up and off to the SI, thats when Buck brought out his jar of liquid heat. We were all getting antsy waiting for the sun to go down so we decided that any dive is a night dive and off we went for dive number 2. Buck and I got separated from our guides so we took off in hunt of bottles and anything we could blind. found a few bottles and more sea life than you can shake a stick at! At least 2 stubby squids, more ratfish than I can count, crabs everywhere, and two 8 inch long Opalescent squids. all in all a great time, thank you Bassman for diving Thursdays!
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Thank goodness I washed my truck the day before since elise went a took a panarama picture. Did I sign a release form for you to use my image? :neener:
Jeff Castor
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

[/quote]
When my team came across that poor octo, there were so many divers circled around it, I thought it was gonna be gang raped... :)

And yea, that second dive, there was a school of ratfish swimming about.[/quote]

Well...I have seen this behaviour before...Not a pretty sight. #-o ...and your statement will be one for a steal!
Glad you had good dives.
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"